Options beyond Tyrod

TANK2

I think Tyrod needs to be brought back for a few reasons. First and foremost the offense was productive this year. Seventh in points to date. Second there is no option Im aware of at QB that guarantees improvement on that number if we cut him loose. Ive read plenty of anti-tyrod sentiment but not many if any real anti-tyrod solutions. Again seventh in scoring with one game to go. Might as well say seventh for the season because the Jets game is absolutely meaningless on so many levels. For all you anti tyrod people whats the answer if we cut him tomorrow. Bring in a journeyman? Draft a rookie and hope for the best? Trade? Some other solution? Im all for any sensible answer. Tyrod might not be the best passer on the planet but he doesnt turn the ball over, he does make some plays with his arm, and he makes many plays with his legs other QBs dont. 6 rushing tds to date to be exact in addition to 580 rushing yards. Tell me who the better option is and what you think the end result will be. We jump to fifth in points. Third? First? Last I checked if we score more than they do we win. This isnt a why we should or shouldnt keep Tyrod thread. Ive already stated hes cut tomorrow. Its about your specific plan once he turns in his playbook.

I also think he needs to be brought back

however

I also think that a QB should be drafted high

One of the things I am starting to come around to is not so much who is the starter....but we need to start accumulating talent at the most important position on the team......we just dont seem to be doing that as a NFL team and it needs to start

Start drafting QBs....C. Jones was a good start.....keep going

however

One of the things I am starting to come around to is not so much who is the starter....but we need to start accumulating talent at the most important position on the team......we just dont seem to be doing that as a NFL team and it needs to start

So youre good drafting a guy you expect to get a starting shot within the next year but committing $31m in cap space over 2 years and still having over $10m in dead money if cut in year 3?

You've hedged against failure so much at that point that even the best of the reasonable scenarios is a struggle (rookie succeeds and you eat up your cap unreasonably over 3 years on a backup instead of weapon for the young guy or you draft a schlub instead of a weapon for tyrod-- let's be real, you won't have two greats and teams beating down your door as a reasonably expected outcome

however

I agree with the "brought back" and the "draft another QB". I'm not as sure on the "high" because looking at the playoff teams, something has shifted - there is more variety in the draft round of where these players were picked. I think it's the lack of true pro-offense, NFL ready QBs these days. But yes, if there's a QB they like, draft him. If there's a QB they think is "the man" do what it takes to get him.

The catch is to bring Tyrod back at this point, you really need to renegotiate his contract. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a guy you're not sure about is "the One".

So youre good drafting a guy you expect to get a starting shot within the next year but committing $31m in cap space over 2 years and still having over $10m in dead money if cut in year 3?

You've hedged against failure so much at that point that even the best of the reasonable scenarios is a struggle (rookie succeeds and you eat up your cap unreasonably over 3 years on a backup instead of weapon for the young guy or you draft a schlub instead of a weapon for tyrod-- let's be real, you won't have two greats and teams beating down your door as a reasonably expected outcome

That contract really has me shaking my head. I don't understand it, especially when Tyrod was under contract, and frankly if he'd made good and they had trouble resigning him, they could have franchised or transition tagged him for less cap impact. (Remember the guy writing contracts is Overdorf, who reports up to Brandon, not to Whaley)

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Bring EJ back on a 5 year deal. The guy is going to be a star QB in this league.

How many shots of Wild Turkey????

Quite a few people have said that EJ has been mishandled and that all he needs is a fresh start to tear it up. So why not give him a shot with our 3rd coaching staff .

Find the best of a very questionable bunch to hold down the fort while you draft (or trade for) a QB every year until you find your guy. Foles is likely to be the best available FA (if his option isn't picked up by KC). Moving on from Tyrod is because he isn't good enough and he's not worth close to his upcoming contract. Moving on from EJ is because he's a total reclaimation project right now and even if he was any good he wouldn't come back to Buffalo after all that's happened here.

Yes but you're overlooking the part that if he turned out to be good, it would have cost the Bills much more that it did. Yes the could have tagged him, for one year or even two, but then likely would have been paying a Brock O type contract and in two seasons that would have been maybe even 25% higher.

If he had played good he would have been what the 20 highest paid QB which sounds like a good deal. The tough part is mostly everyone here wants to bring him back, but for less money and may be difficult for that to happen unless other teams show no interest. At the time the Bills agreed to the contract, it was viewed as a team friendly deal, that's part of negotiations, both sides have to give and take. The one part of this deal that kind of puts the Bills in a tough spot is if he played somewhere in the middle, good enough to want to bring back as no better options, but not great either which is what happened. But either side can rarely get everything you want in a contract.

That contract really has me shaking my head. I don't understand it, especially when Tyrod was under contract, and frankly if he'd made good and they had trouble resigning him, they could have franchised or transition tagged him for less cap impact. (Remember the guy writing contracts is Overdorf, who reports up to Brandon, not to Whaley)

Here is a question for the TT staunch supporters.

Say he i brought back and a QB drafted

1. Do you actually support a legit competition in camp?

2. If Rookie or for that matter Cardale outplay him in offseason would you support putting TT on the bench?

however

While I don't think Tyrod proved himself to be a franchise QB, I think we stand pat at QB.

Taylor. TT looked awfully good as a dual purpose threat in the Miami game. He seemed to throw over the middle more the past few games. His timing/rhythm seems to have improved. There's still a chance he becomes a franchise QB.

Cardale. Cardale is our young, developmental QB that we hope has a higher ceiling than Taylor. Why draft a guy in 2017 to develop when we're still working on the guy we drafted in 2016? We haven't seen him in game action but reports from coaches and players indicate that he's coming along nicely.

EJ Manuel. I hope we resign him at a cap friendly price. He's a good backup. And while I think it's unlikely, I do think there's still a chance for him to be a good QB. Some QBs (Brees, Plunkett) take longer than others to develop an NFL skill set. Then again, to give Cardale more reps, maybe EJ needs to go.

Edited by hondo in seattle

While I don't think Tyrod proved himself to be a franchise QB, I think we stand pat at QB.

Taylor. TT looked awfully good as a dual purpose threat in the Miami game. He seemed to throw over the middle more the past few games. His timing/rhythm seems to have improved. There's still a chance he becomes a franchise QB.

Cardale. Cardale is our young, developmental QB that we hope has a higher ceiling than Taylor. Why draft a guy in 2017 to develop when we're still working on the guy we drafted in 2016? We haven't seen him in game action but reports from coaches and players indicate that he's coming along nicely.

EJ Manuel. I hope we resign him at a cap friendly price. He's a good backup. And while I think it's unlikely, I do think there's still a chance for him to be a good QB. Some QBs (Brees, Plunkett) take longer than others to develop an NFL skill set.

If those are your hopes gonn be a long couple seasons

Here is a question for the TT staunch supporters.

Say he i brought back and a QB drafted

1. Do you actually support a legit competition in camp?

2. If Rookie or for that matter Cardale outplay him in offseason would you support putting TT on the bench?

I'm ok with playing the best option at QB. I don't care who it is.

Find the best of a very questionable bunch to hold down the fort while you draft (or trade for) a QB every year until you find your guy. Foles is likely to be the best available FA (if his option isn't picked up by KC). Moving on from Tyrod is because he isn't good enough and he's not worth close to his upcoming contract. Moving on from EJ is because he's a total reclaimation project right now and even if he was any good he wouldn't come back to Buffalo after all that's happened here.

what do you mean 'hold down the fort' please explain. Does it matter if that QB isn't any good as long as he 'holds down the fort' . Come on

Stop worrying about his contract, every year there are fans pissing their pants over someones contract. If you want someone to play QB while you get a better one, no reason not to keep the guy we have now and the 7th rated offense in the league.

If not Taylor then who exactly? Taylor is no franchsise guy but he's been alot better than anyone else since Bledsoe left.

That's the thing. The NFL teams with franchise guys aren't letting them go. Unless a true franchise QB surprisingly became available, why would we replace a QB that helped the Bills place in the top ten in points scored?

Drafting a QB is always a roll of the dice. Given his lack of QB experience, we can call Cardale our 2017 draft pick. He effectively red-shirted his freshman year in the NFL and is only joining the squad as an actual player this upcoming season.