Bart Scott rips Dareus for comments about Rex defense

YoloinOhio

You do realize that you're providing a totally meaningless set of stats, don't you? What is important, to this argument, is how did much the same defensive personnel perform under Ryan and Schwartz. How two different sets of players performed means absolutely nothing.

Well, it's like neither Zach Brown nor Lorenzo Alexander played particularly well in Ryan's scheme.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo it was just a bad fit, our players and rex. The fact that rex has had so much success but our d sucks makes me think of the players. W mario just quitting, dareus being an hostly close to retarded drug addict, and us getting free agent scrubs and having injuries i think it was just all too much.

The upside is that we'll get a bunch of new players and new coaches next year.

if we didn't play the jets we would not know who bart scott was. if we did not hear him say "can't wait" we'd just say he's JAG. and he is jag.

if you started a team tomorrow and had to choose between scott and dareus you'd choose dareus 10 times of 10.

giving a crap what this dumbass says is hilarious. he's just another national media guy who hates on buffalo and will do so even more now because he played against them.

he's going to be that veteran in 5-6 years preaching these young guys don't have heart, the game isn't as tough as it used to be, etc..

!@#$ off bart scott. you're overrated af.

Yards given up per game between Schwartz's Philadelphia defense and the Bills defense this year through the last game.

6 yards difference per game.

cool. now i'll put up a stat of TD to INT ratio of Taylor and show he's way best in the league!

your knob gobbling of rex is hilarious.

in 1 year Schwartz went to philidelphia and made a bigger impact thant rex has in two years in buffalo. Schwartz with a lot less talent. both teams hurt with injuries

I love Shady. I defended him when many called him a mercenary. The guy balls hard every time he straps on the pads. Some might call him a "me guy" but I can't think of a better label for an RB. He's just not a name that jumps into my mind when someone talks "Bills Leadership."

Fair enough Stony.

I just felt that this year and especially lately when hopes darkened, he led by example. Honestly, that is my kind of leader.

uh, whatever, dude. players love playing for him. 'nuff said.

That's far from enough said. They may have liked to play for Rex (which I do not believe is universal) but the guy took a top five defense and sank it. It doesn't matter if they loved playing for him; what matters is the results.

The more the team lost and the more the defense got trampled the more ridiculous and hollow Rex came off at the podium. What is there to say about how he wanted to build a bully defense as the number of runners gaining over 200 yards increased as the weeks went by?

Rex was a failure before he was hired by the Pegulas----the people most responsible for this inexplicable hire. His boasting act ran its tiresome coarse in NY and the area was relieved to see him go. His record was a losing record no matter how one wants to burnish it. Finding another job that payed him even more and gave him an extended length contract was an act of self-inflicted stupidity by the ownership. His record, lax coaching and out-dated approach to the game were well known before he was hired. The Rex they fired is exactly the same Rex they hired.

The Pegulas were new to the football business. Their intentions were to add some personality to a faceless, boring and irrelevant franchise. What they painfully learned is that a loud style doesn't trump a mature substantive approach to the game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that by allowing the GM to have the primary authority in hiring the next GM they are resorting to a more conventional system of accountability and responsibility. If the next coach doesn't work out then there is no confusion as to who is responsible.

Make no mistake that the roster Rex had to work with had flaws. It was far from perfect. But that isn't the core issue here. It is: Did the coach maximize the talent he had to work with or did it underachieve? If the games were even casually watched the answer is obvious.

This

The more the team lost and the more the defense got trampled the more ridiculous and hollow Rex came off at the podium. What is there to say about how he wanted to build a bully defense as the number of runners gaining over 200 yards increased as the weeks went by?

Rex was a failure before he was hired by the Pegulas----the people most responsible for this inexplicable hire. His boasting act ran its tiresome coarse in NY and the area was relieved to see him go. His record was a losing record no matter how one wants to burnish it. Finding another job that payed him even more and gave him an extended length contract was an act of self-inflicted stupidity by the ownership. His record, lax coaching and out-dated approach to the game were well known before he was hired. The Rex they fired is exactly the same Rex they hired.

The Pegulas were new to the football business. Their intentions were to add some personality to a faceless, boring and irrelevant franchise. What they painfully learned is that a loud style doesn't trump a mature substantive approach to the game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that by allowing the GM to have the primary authority in hiring the next GM they are resorting to a more conventional system of accountability and responsibility. If the next coach doesn't work out then there is no confusion as to who is responsible.

Make no mistake that the roster Rex had to work with had flaws. It was far from perfect. But that isn't the core issue here. It is: Did the coach maximize the talent he had to work with or did it underachieve? If the games were even casually watched the answer is obvious.

I completely agree. This site has been more head scratching than usual over the last few days. The Rex hire is firmly on the Pegulas along with Brandon. The proof is in the video of the post hiring press conference. Pegulas had a shiny new toy and were impressed by a big talker. Brandon, always the marketing dude saw ticket sales. Seems only Whaley was concerned with actual football. Pegula actually says football questions were putting him to sleep.

Then there is the press conference. If im Anthony Lynn I don't want anyone from the FO there. It's the HC press conference.

As far as players are concerned I'm not judging any of them based on having played for an incompetent HC.

I completely agree. This site has been more head scratching than usual over the last few days. The Rex hire is firmly on the Pegulas along with Brandon. The proof is in the video of the post hiring press conference. Pegulas had a shiny new toy and were impressed by a big talker. Brandon, always the marketing dude saw ticket sales. Seems only Whaley was concerned with actual football. Pegula actually says football questions were putting him to sleep.

Then there is the press conference. If im Anthony Lynn I don't want anyone from the FO there. It's the HC press conference.

As far as players are concerned I'm not judging any of them based on having played for an incompetent HC.

I will never give anyone a pass for that reasoning. I may not like my boss, but i get paid to perform

I said it earlier in the season. These halfwits are too dumb to understand an even marginally complicated scheme. Dareus is the perfect poster child for how dumb this defense is overall. A few players aside K Williams C. Graham etc the rest are just straight stupid. Rex refused to acknowledge people like Gilmore and Dareus were to dumb and it cost him his job.

Scott, who played well in Rex's defense is pretty clear in his insistence that it's not complicated. Why are so many here arguing with his assessment?

Because watching the Bills get players on and off the field late or look at each other after a big play against them trying to figure out who messed up tells us Dareus has a point. Those were consistent issues.

Bart can say what he wants to, but he did not play for the Bills so his opinion is fairly meaningless. Before Rex showed up, top 5 defense with same players. Once Rex took over the D got worse last year and more worse this season.

You have to be in that system for a long time to be good at it and our players aren't that smart so cut em some slack, geez Bart.

Of course Bart Scott's catchy quote misses the main point/problem with Rex's scheme.

1- Darius isnt the only guy complaining about the complexity

2- More than the complexity its the constant late adjustments being made - signalling poor coaching prep during the week

3- DC's like Wade Phillips and Schwartz purposely use a simplified system to allow for faster play - and its worked well

4- Free agency causes much roster turnover favoring a simplified scheme over a complex with numerous adjustments

5- Rex's use of an asset like Darius was a huge waste of his talents - he is way more than a 2-gap noseguard (when not sitting suspension:; ;))

6 - Rexs scheme used corners and linebackers on delayed blitzes to get to QBs - todays league negates that with quick drops and throws

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gotta agree with some of what Bart said.

Good thing is the D will get to prove themselves next year. Or will we hear that a new DC with a new scheme is why they are under performing?

As for Marcel and the Rex D, the one guy's opinion I would like is KW. KW has been very quite, I feel like he was more vocal when Freddie was here.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Fair enough Stony.

I just felt that this year and especially lately when hopes darkened, he led by example. Honestly, that is my kind of leader.

True that.

And when he's one of your higher priced players, that's exactly what you want.

Scott, who played well in Rex's defense is pretty clear in his insistence that it's not complicated. Why are so many here arguing with his assessment?

1) Because it doesn't match the assessment of a number of knowledgeable analysts outside the Bills who spoke up after the season and pointed out that you really need at least a couple really smart, vocal guys who are making the right reads and getting everyone lined up.

One pundit is on record asking a Jets coach "how can you have Jim Leonard out there?" when he was obviously playing hampered. The answer was "we need him"; Leonard was the indispensible man who could get everyone in the 2ndary lined up where they should be. In Baltimore, it was Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. In NYJ, it was Bart Scott (who had played in the system for years by then) and Jim Leonard.

2) Because it doesn't match the data, where the Bills D was markedly different with and without Aaron Williams (who apparently filled that role)

3) Because Bart Scott, who is on the record as a fervent fan of Rex Ryan and who played with incredible injuries just to avoid letting Rex down, is hardly an impartial evaluator

I expect the truth is somewhere in between - it's not as simple as Scott is making it out to be, neither is it so complex that you need to be a PhD to figure it out - and that the real problem is more fundamental - a mismatch between the personnel Buffalo had, and the personnel Rex needed to make it work.

The players have talent. The coach's job is to get the most out of that talent. The coach failed at that miserably and was justly fired.

Eff you Rex. If I wasn't a Bills fan, I'd laugh at the irony of him getting fired because of the foot of Dan Carpenter.

Marcel makes himself a pretty easy target for ridicle when he talksH

He is the definistion of payed like a star......but conducts himself like a knucklehead.

I respect Scott a lot....but a lot of today's NFL players just dont have that old school mentality that he has. There ARE players out there that can play in RR's defense....the problem is they are few and far between.

It doesn't freaking matter. This 90 million dollar stoner's answer should have been "we failed him." Done. Instead the guy who in my opinion is single handedly responsible for the D nose diving (bc he can't stay off the weed) has ZERO business making a comment like that. This group has Ed freaking Reed on staff. The GOAT at safety. And they have the audacity to publicly talk about systems being too complicated. I hate this team. I hate our front office. I want to punch Russ Brandon in the face. I want Dareus traded. 1. Hire new GM/President and fire EVERYONE in the front office. 2. Hire Lynn or Shanahan 3. Trade Dareus 4. Trade Preston Brown 5. Re-sign Gilmore 6. Re-sign Tyrod or let him walk but as new GM I'd publicly state that what the old regime did with him was an embarrassment and that will no longer be happening here 7. Destroy and blow up Russ' "analytics" department. 8. Draft 2 QBs. Sign another That would be where I'd start. Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Why exactly are we supposed to trade Preston Brown? I thought the general consensus was the Brown Bros were a step up at linebacker.

And just what exactly did the "old regime" do with Tyrod that is an embarrassment?