Would bringing back Pettine really be a crazy idea?

FireChan

Lots of the reports that came out when Pettine was here was that he simplified stuff from Rex's scheme. Here's an example:

We don’t overload our guys. If you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing, which is so true in football.

“If you can just tell a player, ‘Listen, these are just the four or five things you need to worry about to do your job this week, and just make sure you take care of those,’ then the other details aren’t as important.

“You don’t want to give them too much on their plate. And I think we’ve done a good job, as a staff, of compartmentalizing everybody’s job.”

They players see the results, and that’s always huge. The defence’s lofty team and individual stats serve to validate Pettine’s system in their eyes.

“What we’re doing works, and we can be that much better, especially when we’re at full strength,” Pettine said.

http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/nfl/mike-pettine-explains-bills-stark-defensive-turnaround-which-includes-nfls-most-undervalued-secondary/

Sounds like exactly what the Tub of Goo is looking for.

No. His rushing defense in 2011 was 13th total and 7th in YPC allowed.

Really he had one bad year with the Jets in 2012 who went 6-10 and were falling apart, a bad rush year with the EJ-led Bills in 2013, while contending with a bad LB group, and then the Browns. And the way the Browns have been run in the last 5 years, I don't hold anything that happens with them against any coach.

And 20th overall in points given up, and 27th in rushing TD....it's really hard to call that good. Are there extenuating circumstances for all of the bad rushing Ds? Maybe.

My point is based on his record, I find it hard to be too enthused. I think he is what his record for the last 5 years says, a DC who sells out the run to attack the pass.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

I want a straight up 4-3 guy. Dareus and KW are better DT's and there are only two or three true NT's in the league that can play the position effectively.

Lawson is a 4-3 DE. Washington is a 4-3 DE.

Hughes can play OLB or DE.

Zach and Ragland finish out the starting front 7.

Get rid of Preston Brown and Spikes

Sign another player that can play some middle and some SAM as a swing back-up.

Great points...agree 100%

No

I want a straight up 4-3 guy. Dareus and KW are better DT's and there are only two or three true NT's in the league that can play the position effectively.

Lawson is a 4-3 DE. Washington is a 4-3 DE.

Hughes can play OLB or DE.

Zach and Ragland finish out the starting front 7.

Get rid of Preston Brown and Spikes

Sign another player that can play some middle and some SAM as a swing back-up.

4-3 DEs do not generally sit at 6'4"-295lbs. Not impossible but he's a 3-4 DE,DT, or 4-3 DT. (Washington)

4-3

4-3

4-3

Our defense is still better suited to play 4-3.

3/4 of our dline is set and that's where our money is for the next few years. We need safety help and a cb if we switch or not. But by going to a 4-3,we go back to fitting a square peg in a square hole. As opposed to Rex trying to fit that same square peg in a round hole. We are still not even close to having 3-4 personnel. Jmo.

No to Pettine. His defense was gashed by the run as well. We need to run a 4-3 with our personnel. It best suits us. We need to run a system like we did back in the early 2000's on that side of the ball. Get safety help and let's roll.