Would bringing back Pettine really be a crazy idea?

FireChan

Inb4 the run defense sucked!11111!!!!!!11111!!!!1eleven!!!!1111

I don't think bringing Pettine back would be the craziest idea ever. To clear up some misconceptions about the 2013 defense, let's look at the whole picture of their stats.

The numbers:

20th in points

10th in yards

6th in takeaways

12th in FD's

4th in passing yards

20th in passing TD's

3rd in NY/A

28th in rushing yards

8th in rushing TD's

23rd in YPC

9th in TO forced per drive

7th in drive time allowed

5th in plays allowed per drive

2nd in yards per drive,

12th in points per drive

Those numbers with the exception of the rushing totals and YPC are pretty good. With Pettine, it seemed we had the attacking defense we were promised these last 2 seasons, defenses that got the ball back and got off the field. Below average point totals with above average drive numbers point to a defense who did very well on a drive to drive basis, but got hung out to dry just a bit too often.

Are they as good as Schwartz's numbers? No, admittedly, they are not. But with the presumptive replacement of Shaq for Mario, I don't foresee a front 4 as disruptive in 2017 as 2014 in the event of a switch to a blander 4-3, Mario's recent decline notwithstanding. Here are a few more arguments for Pettine.

-Less scheme overhaul. While the 2016 Rex D and 2013 Pettine D surely had differences, I'd have to imagine that Pettine, being from Rex's coaching tree, shares some of the same terminology, concepts and plays. Not only would this prove valuable to the 2013 vets, but the guys who have been here the last 2 years don't have to empty their noggins. Shaq, Ragland, Preston, etc don't have to learn a wildly different system. Even malcontents like Dareus can remember some of the crayon from 2013, hopefully. I believe Pettine also simplified a bunch of stuff.

-History of success. While the defense wasn't elite or even great by any means in 2013, only good, lots of our players had great years. Hughes burst on the scene with 10 sacks. Dareus and Kyle were very effective. Robey looked to be a true gem as an UDFA, etc. This helps the locker room buy in a little more.

-Improved run defense due to overhauled LB group. The 2013 run defense was bad. But who were our ILB's/MLB's? We had Kiko and Bradham. Kiko consistently was swallowed up by blocks and Bradham had his own share of struggles. With the new group of Preston Brown and Zach Brown, I think the run D would be vastly improved.

-Just more talent in general. Darby is better than 2013 Leo. LorAx, if he's still here, is better than Manny/Moats. We would just need to fill a hole at S and we'd be going.

Overall, if the plan at OBD is to get this defense cooking and rely on it in 2017, getting a defense that lots of our players have at least seen, and one that won't require much turnover makes quite a bit of sense, IMO.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is very overrated on this board. Seemed like blitzing the QB was his only goal...he neglected the run defense

It's a passing league. He neglected the run a little bit, sure. But I think his personnel dictated that to a large degree.

Yes.

Why?

I'm not sure anyone could stop the run with that sorry group of LB's. I think Kirk Morrison was out there at one point.

Kiko "over pursue" Alonso and Nigel "missed tackle" Bradham. LOL. Maybe Ragland can help, that and get Preston "the slow chaser " Brown out .

Seriously, I think it was more related to the scheme. He took alot of chances with over aggressive run blitzing

It's the Buffalo fans war cry. Bring back a retread coach/player that has already been fired, quit, traded or retired from here.

None of those things happened. He got hired away to be an HC for the job he did here. There's a semantic argument for "quitting" at best, but no one could say coordinators getting hired away as HC's is a Buffalo thing.

Kiko "over pursue" Alonso and Nigel "missed tackle" Bradham. LOL. Maybe Ragland can help, that and get Preston "the slow chaser " Brown out .

Seriously, I think it was more related to the scheme. He took alot of chances with over aggressive run blitzing

Personally, I think he said we can stop the run or stop the pass with this personnel, but not both. And he schemed/called plays around the pass.

Did people miss our run defense under him? It was Rex like, probably because it was a very similar defense.

His defense specialized in big plays because he blitzed a lot. The reason Schwartz was better was because he let a dominant d line do their job and didn't take so many chances.

I get trying to bring Wade back. But Pettine is almost a dime a dozen D.C.