Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

What cluster f*** ? They fired a coach. They appointed an interim one. They are sitting the QB for business/ contract reasons. Most of us completely understand exactly what is going on.

This is what I mean by a biased, agenda driven segment of the media manufacturing a sensationalized story. There is very little to see, let alone get to the bottom of, regarding Rex's firing and the decision to sit TT.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What cluster f*** ? They fired a coach. They appointed an interim one. They are sitting the QB for business/ contract reasons. Most of us completely understand exactly what is going on.

Um ESPN blasting the Bills with one of their analyst saying Anthony Lynn should get out of town as fast as he can. Pro football talk writing a scathing article about the leadership 'hiding' behind Lynn to name just a few. You really think people dont notice that. Like high profile head coaching candidates and coordinators. Like it or not that stuff matters to some. Especially well qualified people in high demand who may be considering employment with this organization who are likely to get multiple job offers for next year.

Edited by TANK2

Sully took some shots a Lynn on his twitter page.

I can't cope and paste them from my cell

You mean these?

"Jerry Sullivan @ByJerrySullivan Dec 28

Some of the stuff from the interview stuns me. Like Lynn saying it wasn't fair to expect Taylor to throw downfield to tight ends this year."

"Taylor played four years at Virginia Tech. He's been in the NFL six years. He needs more time to learn how to use the middle of the field?"

I think that's another instance of Sullivan not listening carefully. What Lynn actually said, if Sully had been listening instead of writing his slammin' jam in his mind as he spoke, is:

"Lynn: Not necessarily the right places. I want him to throw to the right places all the time, but throwing balls in the middle of the hashes and concepts and things like that. Those are things that are drilled with footwork, timing and technique and those are things that you get done in the offseason."

Lynn is obviously a loyal man with respect for organizational hierarchy, but this came jolly damn close to saying he felt Taylor was not properly drilled in footwork, timing, and technique to throw over the middle of the field for the last two years. It echos some criticism of Trent Dilfer for the passing game he saw with Roman after the 2015 season, when he said (in a Ty Dunne TBN article):

When Dilfer is asked if the Bills need to "open it up" with Taylor, he said the term he prefers is "detail it out."

The tape tells him one thing: Taylor could use better teaching.

“We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when they’re not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesn’t have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have ‘OC’ by their name—it doesn’t mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterback’s being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesn’t have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes don’t always match what’s going on downfield. That’s not a Tyrod Taylor issue. That’s a coaching issue.”

It amazed me that no one in the presser picked up on that and asked follow up questions like "are you saying Taylor wasn't being developed right or coached properly in his footwork, timing, and technique the last two years?"

Room full of reporters and not one of them picked that up.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 17 years in a league where 12 teams out of 32 make it every year. Anthony Lynn is their fourth coach in four years. Most of everyone I know who is an NFL fan but not a Bills fan regards the team as a complete joke because of these basic facts. I will grant that they are not 2-13 at the moment.

I did a poor job of expressing what I meant. Sorry if I offended. For the record I truly believe every legal paying job is honorable as a job. I just hate opinionated sports reporters. I like the ones that hide their opinion or at least try.

The truth is, when you're good at reporting while hiding your opinion, people take notice. I've read more than my share of John Wawrow opinions on this message board, but never in his articles. So when I see an article written by him, I am quick to read it.

Because when it comes to being a sports writer, his ego doesn't need to get fluffed by online basement dwellers who love to see their team fail so they can yell "I told you so."

You mean these?

"Jerry Sullivan ‏@ByJerrySullivan Dec 28

Some of the stuff from the interview stuns me. Like Lynn saying it wasn't fair to expect Taylor to throw downfield to tight ends this year."

"Taylor played four years at Virginia Tech. He's been in the NFL six years. He needs more time to learn how to use the middle of the field?"

I think that's another instance of Sullivan not listening carefully. What Lynn actually said, if Sully had been listening instead of writing his slammin' jam in his mind as he spoke, is:

"Lynn: Not necessarily the right places. I want him to throw to the right places all the time, but throwing balls in the middle of the hashes and concepts and things like that. Those are things that are drilled with footwork, timing and technique and those are things that you get done in the offseason."

Lynn is obviously a loyal man with respect for organizational hierarchy, but this came jolly damn close to saying he felt Taylor was not properly drilled in footwork, timing, and technique to throw over the middle of the field for the last two years. It echos some criticism of Trent Dilfer for the passing game he saw with Roman after the 2015 season, when he said (in a Ty Dunne TBN article):

When Dilfer is asked if the Bills need to "open it up" with Taylor, he said the term he prefers is "detail it out."

The tape tells him one thing: Taylor could use better teaching.

We forget these coaches are supposed to be teachers," Dilfer said. "And when theyre not, it affects the players. And unfortunately, the NFL doesnt have all good teachers. There are a lot of guys who have coached and have OC by their nameit doesnt mean they can teach. Usually you can tell if a quarterbacks being developed right by what his eyes and feet are doing. That offense doesnt have a real flow to the passing game. The feet and the eyes dont always match whats going on downfield. Thats not a Tyrod Taylor issue. Thats a coaching issue.

It amazed me that no one in the presser picked up on that and asked follow up questions like "are you saying Taylor wasn't being developed right or coached properly in his footwork, timing, and technique the last two years?"

Room full of reporters and not one of them picked that up.

So there's still hope for EJ too then :D Edited by The Wiz

oh, i don't know....off the top of my head...

1. Are you responsible for the leaks that started after the oakland game?

1a. (when he inevitably stammers out his denial) Since only a tiny number of people could have been involved in that decision, who did it?

2. Why didn't anyone in the organization take questions after rex's firing?

3. Why was Anthony Lynn told to sit Tyrod.

4. Were you on board with Rex's hiring? His firing?

5. Do you think the Bills recent draft history has anything to do with the current record?

6. In retrospect, would you have done the Watkins deal? The Lawson deal?

and before you start, don't tell me when i need to have any of these questions answered. coaching changes are a big deal and the people in charge should be willing to step up and answer for them when they happen, not a week later. the fan's that fill that stadium year after year while they continue fielding garbage deserve that.

although, given that are a committed shill for management, you probably think everyone should just shut up and be happy there is still a team here.

I think you have a bunch of faulty assumptions here. Look for the very interesting and informative post by TBD poster Kirby Jackson in another thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191090-leak-source-it-must-be-brandon/?p=4186416

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191090-leak-source-it-must-be-brandon/?p=4186424

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191090-leak-source-it-must-be-brandon/?p=4186436

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191090-leak-source-it-must-be-brandon/?p=4186443

Note that Kirby is not saying he worked for OBD, he's saying he worked for a similar small-market major league sports team with a similar collaborative environment

The point is that it's very likely NOT a tiny number of people who know about various decisions, and even larger number when it's a "heard something, but maybe not the whole story" kind of leak (eg fire Rex after Oakland game or whatever).

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 17 years in a league where 12 teams out of 32 make it every year. Anthony Lynn is their fourth coach in four years. Most of everyone I know who is an NFL fan but not a Bills fan regards the team as a complete joke because of these basic facts. I will grant that they are not 2-13 at the moment.

I never understand why anyone would give a flying crap what other people think about the sports team they specifically choose to follow.

If you think the team is a joke, you really only have to ask yourself a couple of questions to stake your position.

1) Can you change it? The answer is no. You literally can do nothing that will change the current trajectory of the team, and this comes from a guy who spent a brief period of time convinced that Norwood was right right because I chose to wear a new Bills hat that day.

2) Since you can't change it, can you live with it? If the answer is yes, then it's your choice and what other people think should bounce off you. If the answer is no, well, then, you know what you need to do.

Just that simple.

So there's still hope for EJ too then :D

There might be. Depends upon what his issues really are.

Why did Alex Smith magically turn into a capable NFL QB -- in his 6th season, after a coaching change?

My point, though isn't really that there's hope for Taylor to improve, or hope for Manuel to improve (maybe, maybe not), but that Lynn, who was obviously trying very hard not to criticize the organization or his former coach bosses, actually came very close to saying something critical and potentially controversial about Roman, Lee, and by extension Rex and his staff - and the room full of reporters totally missed it in their zeal for following up and digging deeper into a question it was clear they weren't going to get more answer to.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Um ESPN blasting the Bills with one of their analyst saying Anthony Lynn should get out of town as fast as he can. Pro football talk writing a scathing article about the leadership 'hiding' behind Lynn to name just a few. You really think people dont notice that. Like high profile head coaching candidates and coordinators. Like it or not that stuff matters to some. Especially well qualified people in high demand who may be considering employment with this organization.

Is it your contention that all these well qualified people in high demand are letting their opinions about potential job opportunities be determined by what an ESPN contributor says in one of their segments? Do you honestly think a well qualified, high demand candidate is going to read a Pro Football Talk article and pass up an opportunity as a result? Really?

Well qualified, high demand candidates have spent years developing key relationships around the league and they depend more on those insights and opinions than anything reported in the media. For instance, Gus Bradley would be more apt to believe Marrone's negative take than anything Trotter might say.

A good candidate who is serious about getting one of 32 jobs in the world, should be determined to find out for himself. At least he should be. If he isn't, I have to question his status as a well qualified candidate.

I never understand why anyone would give a flying crap what other people think about the sports team they specifically choose to follow.

If you think the team is a joke, you really only have to ask yourself a couple of questions to stake your position.

1) Can you change it? The answer is no. You literally can do nothing that will change the current trajectory of the team, and this comes from a guy who spent a brief period of time convinced that Norwood was right right because I chose to wear a new Bills hat that day.

2) Since you can't change it, can you live with it? If the answer is yes, then it's your choice and what other people think should bounce off you. If the answer is no, well, then, you know what you need to do.

Just that simple.

Um ... just pointing out that I have a lot of friends who are not Bills fans who are knowledgeable about the NFL. I laugh with them about it because, well, we're friends for other reasons besides sports, and of course I can live with it. I have been living with it for most of my life. Christ!

Edited by dave mcbride

Is it your contention that all these well qualified people in high demand are letting their opinions about potential job opportunities be determined by what an ESPN contributor says in one of their segments? Do you honestly think a well qualified, high demand candidate is going to read a Pro Football Talk article and pass up an opportunity as a result? Really?

Well qualified, high demand candidates have spent years developing key relationships around the league and they depend more on those insights and opinions than anything reported in the media. For instance, Gus Bradley would be more apt to believe Marrone's negative take than anything Trotter might say.

A good candidate who is serious about getting one of 32 jobs in the world, should be determined to find out for himself. At least he should be. If he isn't, I have to question his status as a well qualified candidate.

Read my other post a few pages back. I really dont feel like retyping it. No I dont beleive one reporter will change someones mind. Like I said. Read my other post. Its several things that are making this organization look bad and they are starting to add up.

Its still not good to look bad as an organization, as we do now. Our new coach who our ownership loves so much doesn't know who the QB is and then lies about it being his call then backtracks. I'm sure Russ Brandon would agree with me it's not a great look. Is it an indication of deeper issues, no way to know for sure

There might be. Depends upon what his issues really are.

Why did Alex Smith magically turn into a capable NFL QB -- in his 6th season, after a coaching change?

My point, though isn't really that there's hope for Taylor to improve, or hope for Manuel to improve (maybe, maybe not), but that Lynn, who was obviously trying very hard not to criticize the organization or his former coach bosses, actually came very close to saying something critical and potentially controversial about Roman, Lee, and by extension Rex and his staff - and the room full of reporters totally missed it in their zeal for following up and digging deeper into a question it was clear they weren't going to get more answer to.

I know what you mean. Just making a joke when it was set up.

I think your point is pretty accurate though.

Its still not good to look bad as an organization, as we do now. Our new coach who our ownership loves so much doesn't know who the QB is and then lies about it being his call then backtracks. I'm sure Russ Brandon would agree with me it's not a great look. Is it an indication of deeper issues, no way to know for sure

I bet if roles were reversed and Rex was taking over as interim for Lynn, he would've handled those questions without issue.

To me, any stumbling or backtracking during the PC is on Lynn. You want to be an NFL HC? Well this is what it's like. Dont blow PCs. And I wouldnt even say he blew it. Yall are just blowing it up.

The reason for that is that the Bills perform at a 6-8 win cut and paste level nearly every season.

I honestly don't know what people expect after 17 years without a season with even the MINIMUM standard of success.

He's negative.......the Bills are deserving of scorn.......water is wet................nothing to see here....... move along citizens.

I have zero issue with criticism as you know, but please do more than whine and name call (him, not you).

Offer some real content.

He does nothing for me as a writer.

JMO

You don't have a clue how the media and media relations work. I haven't offered a single clue as to how I think things SHOULD be. I only know--intimately--how things are. Take it or leave it. But it's clear that it's a topic you don't know much about.

I know for a fact those perameters were set. To a certain extent it's the medias job to ignore them.

In this case they did so to their own detriment, asking questions to a guy they KNEW didn't have the answers then whining about it is what this is all about.

You don't have a clue how the media and media relations work. I haven't offered a single clue as to how I think things SHOULD be. I only know--intimately--how things are. Take it or leave it. But it's clear that it's a topic you don't know much about.

I know for a fact those perameters were set. To a certain extent it's the medias job to ignore them.

In this case they did so to their own detriment, asking questions to a guy they KNEW didn't have the answers then whining about it is what this is all about.

lol now you sound like Rex! Shill!

Would you be kind enough to link the portion of the coach's presser where he says he doesn't know who the QB is? All he said was it was "our decision" which isn't some smoking gun "gotcha" statement. He said, in no uncertain terms, that EJ is his starter.

He wasn't privy to ANYTHING regarding the decision to sit TT which occurred BEFORE he was named HC. He also said it was a "business decision" which is exactly what it was.

Doesn't matter how hard the media hacks try the "gotcha" in this case because the facts, to anyone paying attention, are well known and were well known before yesterday's presser.

Edited by K-9

Would you be kind enough to link the portion of the coach's presser where he says he doesn't know who the QB is? All he said was it was "our decision" which isn't some smoking gun "gotcha" statement. He said, in no uncertain terms, that EJ is his starter.

He wasn't privy to ANYTHING regarding the decision to sit TT which occurred BEFORE he was named HC. He also said it was a "business decision" which is exactly what it was.

Doesn't matter how hard the media hacks try the "gotcha" in this case because the facts, to anyone paying attention, are well known and were well known before yesterday's presser.

Exactly. Jerry Sullivan even goes on to "feel bad" for Anthony Lynn not being able to decide put his best QB out there. Like wtf? He is an interim HC for 1 game. Like he wouldn't be blasting Anthony Lynn and the Bills Org for risking it either.

Bunch of two face hypocrites.