12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Romo will be 37 when next season starts and I'm terrified of trading for Jimmy G. How have trades for Brady backups worked out?

my preference is to keep TT. However, I see weak comparisons between Garoppolo, Mallett, and Cassel. They are nothing alike as QBs, NFL prospects, or their evaluations when they came out of college. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the rumor (or at least what Sal reported on radio this week) is that the Pegulas are not planning on a rebuild. So I'd guess it is TT, Cardale plus a vet FA or another drafted QB. Getting rid of TT without another immediate starting option at QB screams rebuild. Only other QB option would be to trade for Jimmy G or Romo or another starting caliber QB.

makes the most sense. Right now the foundation for the O is strong. They are guaranteed 2 solid years of Shady, Watkins, and Clay. The O-line is solid too. Re-sign Woods and gillislee, then fill in depth via FA and draft.

Gilmore is the big decision on D. Not signing creates another hole, along with safety. D coordinator will make a difference on Gilmore 's decision as well.

I'm not 100% all in on promoting Lynn and sticking with Tyrod. I don't know what we are going to get with Lynn. I like his character (for what limited amount I have seen from him). I like that he found success running Roman's offense.

But nobody knows how good this offense would have been if Lynn had been the one to design it. Very small chance it would have been more productive than what Roman designed in my opinion. Likely it would have involved at least a little more passing - which I am all for. But who knows. It might have looked as bad as Nate Hackett's offense. We don't know. That gives me hesitation about Lynn. Nobody knows with him. It is a total guess.

Plus, if it is him, what coordinators can he get to come here that are proven? I don't know. If Lynn gets the job, I don't doubt that we are going to have 2 somewhat inexperienced coordinators. Wish I knew who he was thinking about. And I don't want 2 inexperienced coordinators along with a first time head coach trying to figure things out for their first times here. That will get you a string of (just out of the playoffs again) seasons that end in the firing of everybody including Whaley and a complete rebuild starting 3 years from now. - No thanks.

I would rather if we got an experienced coach who said we are going to fix the putrid defense by going back to what they are good at and we are going to build on the offense by maintaining a strong running game but with more emphasis being placed on the passing game, especially the deep passing game.

Then I would be like :wub:

And if he brought in 2 proven coordinators I would then be like :worthy:

Show me the MONEEEEEY!!

IMO, it's all about the coordinators. The best teams, the most consistent teams, have a strong head coach to lead the team.. Keeping everyone on the same page, disciplined, motivated, and practicing well. We've seen the HC's try to be the offensive coordinator or the defensive coordinator. It doesn't work.

So, is Lynn the right guy? I have no idea. But, if he wants to run his offense or call the plays or whatever; then I say pass. As a HC, he needs to step up to the next level and manange the ENTIRE team and stop thinking like an OC.

I'm not 100% all in on promoting Lynn and sticking with Tyrod. I don't know what we are going to get with Lynn. I like his character (for what limited amount I have seen from him). I like that he found success running Roman's offense.

But nobody knows how good this offense would have been if Lynn had been the one to design it. Very small chance it would have been more productive than what Roman designed in my opinion. Likely it would have involved at least a little more passing - which I am all for. But who knows. It might have looked as bad as Nate Hackett's offense. We don't know. That gives me hesitation about Lynn. Nobody knows with him. It is a total guess.

Plus, if it is him, what coordinators can he get to come here that are proven? I don't know. If Lynn gets the job, I don't doubt that we are going to have 2 somewhat inexperienced coordinators. Wish I knew who he was thinking about. And I don't want 2 inexperienced coordinators along with a first time head coach trying to figure things out for their first times here. That will get you a string of (just out of the playoffs again) seasons that end in the firing of everybody including Whaley and a complete rebuild starting 3 years from now. - No thanks.

I would rather if we got an experienced coach who said we are going to fix the putrid defense by going back to what they are good at and we are going to build on the offense by maintaining a strong running game but with more emphasis being placed on the passing game, especially the deep passing game.

Then I would be like :wub:

And if he brought in 2 proven coordinators I would then be like :worthy:

Show me the MONEEEEEY!!

Valid concern to an extent. However, it is undeniable that Lynn "took Roman's offense" and made it much much better:

Under Roman last year we ranked 12th in points; and 24th in Red Zone Scoring % (Roman's offenses have always struggled in the Red Zone if I recall correctly). We led the league in rushing under Roman with 152yds/game;

This year we rank 7th in the NFL in scoring and rank 5th in Red Zone Scoring %; we obliterated last year's rushing yard/game mark and we're at 170.8 yds/game. (Also, since Lynn took over week two we rank 6th in the NFL in scoring).

The improvement is considerable and this season our entire WR corps was depleted. There aren't that many experienced HC candidates out there besides old retreads and other inexperienced coordinators who would be complete wild cards just like Lynn.

The thing with Lynn is, if we don't make him HC, I don't see him staying here. If we bring in a new HC, he's going to bring in his own guys (justifiably so). It'll be a complete rebuild on both the defense and the offense. It would be a repeat of the mistake we made with Schwartz two years ago. In retrospect, we should have promoted Schwartz to HC. His defense was playing really well and the hire would've made complete sense. Instead, we screwed up the defense.

Lynn deserves the HC shot. He earned it IMO. Lets not continue to cut off our nose to spite our face. Promote Lynn, and make a great hire at DC to right the ship on that side of the ball. :beer:

Valid concern to an extent. However, it is undeniable that Lynn "took Roman's offense" and made it much much better:

Under Roman last year we ranked 12th in points; and 24th in Red Zone Scoring % (Roman's offenses have always struggled in the Red Zone if I recall correctly). We led the league in rushing under Roman with 152yds/game;

This year we rank 7th in the NFL in scoring and rank 5th in Red Zone Scoring %; we obliterated last year's rushing yard/game mark and we're at 170.8 yds/game. (Also, since Lynn took over week two we rank 6th in the NFL in scoring).

The improvement is considerable and this season our entire WR corps was depleted. There aren't that many experienced HC candidates out there besides old retreads and other inexperienced coordinators who would be complete wild cards just like Lynn.

The thing with Lynn is, if we don't make him HC, I don't see him staying here. If we bring in a new HC, he's going to bring in his own guys (justifiably so). It'll be a complete rebuild on both the defense and the offense. It would be a repeat of the mistake we made with Schwartz two years ago. In retrospect, we should have promoted Schwartz to HC. His defense was playing really well and the hire would've made complete sense. Instead, we screwed up the defense.

Lynn deserves the HC shot. He earned it IMO. Lets not continue to cut off our nose to spite our face. Promote Lynn, and make a great hire at DC to right the ship on that side of the ball. :beer:

Good take,

One thing I see in your plans that feels like a flaw to me is that you are (implying) - painting a picture where Lynn is a great offensive guy and he is going to be designing/running the offense. That would be the case if he was staying on as the offensive coordinator. Probably not the case if he is hiring an offensive coordinator from outside this organization.

Lynn's smartest and wisest move this season (in my opinion) was when Roman was fired and he was elevated - he called Bill Parcells and asked him for advice. Lynn described the situation to Parcells and Parcells told Lynn to throw out half the playbook and simplify things.

Lynn (to his credit) took Bill Parcell's advice. He did exactly that and this offense got better. Does Lynn get credit for that - sure.

But I would feel a lot better if Bill Parcells was my new head coach and he was giving more advice to Lynn about how to make that offense better yet. And I would feel better if Bill Parcells was finding a top defensive mind to run that defense.

If Lynn is promoted to head coach, will he still be calling Bill Parcells for advice on what to do? I am sure he will. I just think it is an awful big jump for Lynn when he hasn't even proven he could design an offense or defense on his own first. How is he supposed to tell the coordinators what they are doing wrong? And what experienced coordinators are going to want to come to Buffalo to work under him?

Maybe there are some great names out there who will? That is a big mystery to me.

Can't we just get the Tuna?

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

Now I believe it was quite calculated, and possibly brilliant. Here's why:

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

Good take,

One thing I see in your plans that feels like a flaw to me is that you are (implying) - painting a picture where Lynn is a great offensive guy and he is going to be designing/running the offense. That would be the case if he was staying on as the offensive coordinator. Probably not the case if he is hiring an offensive coordinator from outside this organization.

Lynn's smartest and wisest move this season (in my opinion) was when Roman was fired and he was elevated - he called Bill Parcells and asked him for advice. Lynn described the situation to Parcells and Parcells told Lynn to throw out half the playbook and simplify things.

Lynn (to his credit) took Bill Parcell's advice. He did exactly that and this offense got better. Does Lynn get credit for that - sure.

But I would feel a lot better if Bill Parcells was my new head coach and he was giving more advice to Lynn about how to make that offense better yet. And I would feel better if Bill Parcells was finding a top defensive mind to run that defense.

If Lynn is promoted to head coach, will he still be calling Bill Parcells for advice on what to do? I am sure he will. I just think it is an awful big jump for Lynn when he hasn't even proven he could design an offense or defense on his own first. How is he supposed to tell the coordinators what they are doing wrong? And what experienced coordinators are going to want to come to Buffalo to work under him?

Maybe there are some great names out there who will? That is a big mystery to me.

Haha. I get what you're saying, but I don't see a problem with Lynn reaching out to someone such as Parcells for advice. To me that's an honorable quality. It means that Lynn is humble enough to recognize when he needs help or advice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO.

Lynn should promote Kromer to OC. Kromer assists Lynn with the weekly game planning and Kromer focuses on the weekly minutiae of the offense and on game day Lynn makes the play calls on offense. It would essentially be the same offense. Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kubiak, Obrien, Gruden, Arians, Chip Kelly, McAdoo, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, etc. They all call their own plays too and the OC (Kromer for us) would be there to assist Lynn with the game plan/strategy during the week.

The Bills are being mauled in the national media for their apparent botching of the PR side of Rex's firing. At first, I also thought it awkward.

Now I believe it was quite calculated, and possibly brilliant. Here's why:

1. If Whaley or Brandon (or even Terry Pegula) appeared before the press, the questions about the in-season firing of Rex and disposition on Tyrod would have been relentless. Buffalo wants to maintain the trade value of Taylor without risking injury to him. A-Lynn was most certainly in the meeting that determined EJ would start, but he was given the out of being able to say he wasn't in the meeting. The Bills avoided answering questions by staging an awkward presser that, for all its Jerry Sullivan induced scandal, revealed little or nothing of the Bills' plan.

2. And they've been accused of not having a plan. I believe they do. A-Lynn's gaffe of replying "Cardale Jones" to the question of the starting QB versus the Jets, was truly a mistake according to WGR550's Sal Capaccio. But it was certainly a Freudian Slip. Although no formal interview has been conducted, you can bet that Lynn has sat down with the Pegulas and Whaley and laid out his plan as concisely as he answered football questions in his presser. His plan IS Cardale Jones who is a WINNER and will start in 2017. He may even be considering bringing Mike Pettine in on the defensive side. He was impressive for situation he was thrust into. That press conference was every bit a part of his audition. He is the next Bills' head coach.

3. And speaking of Mike Pettine... It's well-known he's a maniac about detail and order. And just like a rock band that is good with certain members, but loses something when one is replaced, Rex lost something when he parted ways with Mike Pettine. Rex Ryan needs, in any coaching capacity, a detail-obsessed aide that holds sway over him. Someone that's able to act as a check and balance against Rex's emotion-driven coaching style. Rex's defenses haven't been worth a darn since he and Pettine parted ways.

4. Aliens

Good take,

Andy Reid never held the position of an NFL coordinator before becoming head coach.
John Harbaugh was only a special teams coordinator before becoming head coach.
Mike Tomlin had only one year as a defensive coordinator.
Bob McAdoo had only two years as an offensive coordinator.
Marv Levy never went above special teams coordinator in the NFL specifically, before becoming the Bills head coach.
Anthony Lynn took over as an NFL offensive coordinator after two games and the Bills finished ranking #1 in rushing and #7 in scoring.
I'm getting tired of people and the media questioning Lynn's qualifications for the job. The list of long time NFL coordinators who were not cut out to be a head coach is very looooooooong. It's not the "end all, be all" of what it takes to become a head coach in the NFL.

Haha. I get what you're saying, but I don't see a problem with Lynn reaching out to someone such as Parcells for advice. To me that's an honorable quality. It means that Lynn is humble enough to recognize when he needs help or advice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO.

Lynn should promote Kromer to OC. Kromer assists Lynn with the weekly game planning and Kromer focuses on the weekly minutiae of the offense and on game day Lynn makes the play calls on offense. It would essentially be the same offense. Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kubiak, Obrien, Gruden, Arians, Chip Kelly, McAdoo, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, etc. They all call their own plays too and the OC (Kromer for us) would be there to assist Lynn with the game plan/strategy during the week.

I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it was bad to have Lynn calling Parcells for advice. Quite the opposite. It is wicked smart and awesome. I was just pointing out that the one "great idea" of simplifying the playbook was Parcell's idea. Lynn still gets credit for taking the advice and acting on it. So props to him.

As to your second part about Kromer, I really doubt that Kromer and Lynn share the same thoughts about how to build and run an offense. Lynn is a ground and pound running back centric Rex guy - or so we have been led to believe. Kromer is a gunslinger guy from New Orleans and Bears. Total opposites I would think. Not sure that works. Like expecting Republicans and Democrats to come to a common sense compromise. - lol

Kromer will certainly want a more pass centric offense than Lynn would. Or so one would logically think. Would that preclude Lynn from choosing Kromer? Don't know. And if they did work together, would they see eye to eye on what adjustments to make? Big questionmark.

Maybe they would though. And maybe it would work. Who knows.

Andy Reid never held the position of an NFL coordinator before becoming head coach.
John Harbaugh was only a special teams coordinator before becoming head coach.
Mike Tomlin had only one year as a defensive coordinator.
Bob McAdoo had only two years as an offensive coordinator.
Marv Levy never went above special teams coordinator in the NFL specifically, before becoming the Bills head coach.
Anthony Lynn took over as an NFL offensive coordinator after two games and the Bills finished ranking #1 in rushing and #7 in scoring.
I'm getting tired of people and the media questioning Lynn's qualifications for the job. The list of long time NFL coordinators who were not cut out to be a head coach is very looooooooong. It's not the "end all, be all" of what it takes to become a head coach in the NFL.

Bob was an excellent basketball player, but I don't think he ever coached in then NFL :lol:

Lynn described the situation to Parcells and Parcells told Lynn to throw out half the playbook and simplify things....I just think it is an awful big jump for Lynn when he hasn't even proven he could design an offense or defense on his own first.

I think eliminating a lot of stuff from the offensive playbook is creating your own offense. Besides, no one in the NFL designs a completely new offense. Every OC just picks and chooses from their mentor's playbook.

This is where I stand. Make Kromer OC only if Lynn still calls plays. Get an established 4-3 DC that maybe has been a HC before that you can rely on to take total control of the defense. Gus Bradley fits the bill rather nicely.

This is where I stand. Make Kromer OC only if Lynn still calls plays. Get an established 4-3 DC that maybe has been a HC before that you can rely on to take total control of the defense. Gus Bradley fits the bill rather nicely.

Bradley would be great. Btw, there is another 4-3 DC who is about to embark on a new job search and has had some successes in the past couple of decades ... :)

I think eliminating a lot of stuff from the offensive playbook is creating your own offense. Besides, no one in the NFL designs a completely new offense. Every OC just picks and chooses from their mentor's playbook.

Roman wasn't Lynn's mentor. He had been in the league 22 years before working with Roman. He has his own offense he has designed. Now, if TT stays, there is a likelihood that Lynn keeps the Roman terminology and a lot of its contents but throws two thirds of it out and installs some of his own constructs within the same system.

I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it was bad to have Lynn calling Parcells for advice. Quite the opposite. It is wicked smart and awesome. I was just pointing out that the one "great idea" of simplifying the playbook was Parcell's idea. Lynn still gets credit for taking the advice and acting on it. So props to him.

As to your second part about Kromer, I really doubt that Kromer and Lynn share the same thoughts about how to build and run an offense. Lynn is a ground and pound running back centric Rex guy - or so we have been led to believe. Kromer is a gunslinger guy from New Orleans and Bears. Total opposites I would think. Not sure that works. Like expecting Republicans and Democrats to come to a common sense compromise. - lol

Kromer will certainly want a more pass centric offense than Lynn would. Or so one would logically think. Would that preclude Lynn from choosing Kromer? Don't know. And if they did work together, would they see eye to eye on what adjustments to make? Big questionmark.

It sounded to me like Lynn had already decided to slim down the playbook and simplify. Parcells just pushed him to cut more than even Lynn would have went.

“We talked about the volume of the offense and what players can handle and finding that sweet spot,” said Lynn. “You want to have enough options, but you don’t want to have too many because that’s going to hurt your personnel. So that was the message and it’s always been that. It’s just sometimes you need it reinforced.”

Parcells told him to cut the Bills voluminous offensive playbook in half. It was a bit further than Lynn even wanted to go, at which point the man he coached under in Dallas issued a threat.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Offensive-coordinator-Anthony-Lynn---the-first-72-hours/1a30c536-5eb8-4f4f-a7e6-bcb59f32874d

Kromer did work in New Orleans and Chicago but that doesn't mean he's a gunslinger. His strength is the run game. Edited by Kelly the Dog

It sounded to me like Lynn had already decided to slim down the playbook and simplify. Parcells just pushed him to cut more than even Lynn would have went.

“We talked about the volume of the offense and what players can handle and finding that sweet spot,” said Lynn. “You want to have enough options, but you don’t want to have too many because that’s going to hurt your personnel. So that was the message and it’s always been that. It’s just sometimes you need it reinforced.”

Parcells told him to cut the Bills voluminous offensive playbook in half. It was a bit further than Lynn even wanted to go, at which point the man he coached under in Dallas issued a threat.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Offensive-coordinator-Anthony-Lynn---the-first-72-hours/1a30c536-5eb8-4f4f-a7e6-bcb59f32874d

That stuff about Parcells is good and reassuring.