Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

Doug Whaley is the best person within the organization to lead the HC search. Who would you want in that role? Russ? Kim? Typically, it's the GM's responsibility and the GM usually knows more coaches than anyone else in the organization.

This suggests, though, that the Pegulas are buying into the purported Whaley narrative: we have a playoff quality roster but lack a playoff quality coach. I'm not sure I agree.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be shocked and impressed if it somehow comes out that Whaley actually led the search alone. There's no doubt in my mind that Russ Brandon has been all over the last two hires, and I see no reason to think he'll just keep his opinion out of this search.

In a perfect world, Whaley completes the search with his top 3 or so candidates (maybe more, not sure how this works), conducts his interviews, and doesn't have to pitch them to Brandon or Pegula until he's fairly certain who is guy is. In this perfect world he gets to conduct all the interviews alone, and only until he's made his decision, do Brandon, Pegula, etc. get to sit in on the final interview. That would be the only real way that Whaley would be able to concretely say that he got his man.

IMO, this is a very clear signal that Whaley will sink or swim with this decision.

I think it's also a clear message to the fans that the owners intend to let the GM make this decision.

I think the Pegulas have learned their lesson. I just worry a little window we had has closed in the meantime.

Let's put this in perspective. He also wants EJ as the QB.

Says who? Because 2 years ago he argued with the HC that the HC should be developing the 1st round QB picked the year before?

I never recall reading two years ago that Whaley was not part of team selecting coach or was not all in on Rex.

Where is this revisionist history coming from?

P.S. You got what you wanted Doug. I fear you are going to either hire someone who is not in demand and beholden to you or you are going to have the influence/power you think you have SUBSTANTIALLY diminished to attract anyone of note.

They never said "all in", the term that was used was "signed off on". Meaning, probably not his first choice but he ok'ed it to get the consensus. You know, the old "Disagree and Commit".

I still say that Whaley is the best GM this team has had since the 90's. He truly has upgraded the talent level of this team. Now he will get to bring in his guy at HC. He will also get to bring in his QB this year or next. This will make or break his career. Within the next couple of years he will either make it as a competent GM in this league or he will be headed back to someone's scouting dept.

This is as it should be. The GM should be all in with the new coach and the Pegulas should accept his recommendation. The current Bills GM should get a pass for every coach performance under his tenure because he was never the true decision maker.

I could resurface all the quotes where the GM said that he and Rex "Were finishing each others sentences during the interview" but we all know this was a Russ/marketing/ticket hire. The "Terry likes red wine" text was all we needed to know.

My guess is the current GM is not crazy about Mr. Brandon either. Let him make this decision. The current GM can't use any excuses on this hire -- the EJ pick was Nix's; the Sammy trade was injuries; the current GM has done some good things but now his job, his reputation will clearly be on the line with this hire. Excited to see who he gets.

Edited by JoeF