Why Isn't This An Option? And, I hate to say it...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2016 Tyrod >> 2015 Osweiler. And 2015 Osweiler got 4 years, $72 million. That means 2016 Tyrod can reasonably expect at least that, probably more, if we cut him. If I'm his agent, no way do I accept a restructure less than $20 million per.

Why isn't anyone talking about restructuring Tyrod's contract. I think even he would agree he is not worth everything that will be due?

And...I know he's old, I know he is a curmudgeon, I know he's got no flash....COUGHLIN....if he would garner Belichick's attention, why not ours?

Put yourself in his shoes. You are the QB of the #6 scoring offense and your QBR is top ten. If you go to free agency there are several teams that will roll Brinks trucks to your door. Why would you even consider a pay cut to stay with a team that doesn't believe in you?

2016 Tyrod >> 2015 Osweiler. And 2015 Osweiler got 4 years, $72 million. That means 2016 Tyrone can reasonably expect at least that, probably more, if we cut him. If I'm his agent, no way do I accept a restructure less than $20 million per.

That's flawed logic. If anything, Osweiler's contract will cause teams to think twice about giving an unproven player a large deal like that (much less trade high pics for him). At least for a little while, and then fhey'll forget and do the same thing over again.

Put yourself in his shoes. You are the QB of the #6 scoring offense and your QBR is top ten. If you go to free agency there are several teams that will roll Brinks trucks to your door. Why would you even consider a pay cut to stay with a team that doesn't believe in you?

Which teams? Anywhere he goes he's going to have to compete for the job and that includes Cleveland.

Why should he restructure? He would get similar coin on the open market. We're in a hard place here. Nobody better will be available to us next year at anywhere near the price of TT.

Would he?

That of course is the question. If his open market price is lower than the contract, the Bills might risk a game of chicken.

Otherwise, we have zero leverage.

I'm not opposed to looking at options but right now Tyrod is reasonably priced and better than the FAs likely available.

Throw out signing bonuses (that don't count against the cap) and his contract is worth exactly his level of play, average for a QB. His highest cap hit is barely $18 mil in 2021, it's short of $16 mil next year. Why restructure when it's already a mid-level contract for a mid-level QB?

I brought this up at work today. Some folks do not realize the cost as compared to the rest of the starters. Hardly reason to not keep him.

Until we have something better at least. and look at Philly, the amount they had tied up in QBs.

But Bills better be smarter than they have been with recent contracts

I don't agree that his benching necessarily means we are not keeping him next year. Benching him gives us the flexibility to choose whether or not to keep him and yes we are probably not pushing to win this game too hard so need need to start him. Hire a HC and ask HIM what he wants to do with TT. His contract cap hit next year is not so high that we NEED to get rid of him, so keep him around and let our new HC make the call on whether or not he wants to give it a go with TT.

Taking a HUGE chance if they dont bring him back

but restructuring him has been talked about quite a bit

This!

Bring him back and keep trying to improve the position through the draft, trades, FA. We want options and a good QB coach. We should replace Tyrod when we have someone who is better, not before.

I brought this up at work today. Some folks do not realize the cost as compared to the rest of the starters. Hardly reason to not keep him.

Until we have something better at least. and look at Philly, the amount they had tied up in QBs.

But Bills better be smarter than they have been with recent contracts

You're right, the contract is by no means the reason not to keep him. Personally, I don't care if they keep him or release him. He wasn't the main problem with this team the last two years. Do I wish he was allowed to throw more....yes. Do I wish he wasn't skittish in the pocket...absolutely! But as others have said, he's better than what's out there at the contract value already in place.

They could trade for Romo or sign Cutler but that's gonna cost picks and/or a lot more money. You could draft another project and have them battle it out with Cardale and a cheap veteran but that's not the road I'd go down either. I'd rather take a WR, CB/S with early picks.

Why isn't anyone talking about restructuring Tyrod's contract. I think even he would agree he is not worth everything that will be due?

And...I know he's old, I know he is a curmudgeon, I know he's got no flash....COUGHLIN....if he would garner Belichick's attention, why not ours?

Both have been talked about.

That's flawed logic. If anything, Osweiler's contract will cause teams to think twice about giving an unproven player a large deal like that (much less trade high pics for him). At least for a little while, and then fhey'll forget and do the same thing over again.

Exactly and I hope so.