Anybody Have A Change Of Heart About Gilmore?

Bill from NYC

Who do you replace him with? Do you think that anyone will be an upgrade?

Don't know that it will be an upgrade, but at least an even swap. It's about value and the ability to upgrade the D in other areas. That's what FA is. You can't keep everyone, but when the time for the big payday arrives , it's a matter of what you can and can't go without. Gilmore is not an unreplaceable cog, and in a different system than Rex's ( hopefully) a less expensive player will do. Pay QBs, LTs, and pass rushers . Then any other area where you have an elite , top 5 in the NFL player. A true stud, team leader and relentless competitor. That's not Gilmore. Thanks for your 5 years of service , next man up.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most tackles isn't entirely telling the story with CB's in run support. Bad corners can rack up tackles after the catch pretty easily.

In recent years, I'd probably say someone like Charles Tillman. Currently in the NFL, not many good ones spring to mind.

that's my point. Why are we so concerned about Gilmore tackling when we don't even know or realize who is good?

that's my point. Why are we so concerned about Gilmore tackling when we don't even know or realize who is good?

On Saturday, he was far from the only culprit. That said, that 'effort' was !@#$ing atrocious. Had perfect position and just did nothing.

I've not seen the PFF from Saturday yet. I know that prior to the game, Darby and Gilmore had 8 missed tackles each. Overall for the team this season, the number is close to 100. I assume that it's not being taught right or stressed by coaches because it's a team-wide issue.

My concern is his lack of effort. I do not mind if a corner redirects the player, slows him down or drives him to the sideline.

But watching him watch the play drives me nutso

I have no idea what to do with Gilmore.

On the one hand, he has so much talent.

On the other hand, can we trust him to give 100% effort once he gets his money given what we have seen this year?

No he has never given 100% effort. He's never bothered to learn how to tackle correctly and doesn't have the required fire in the belly to be elite. Watch what he does when he gives up a pass. He looks at someone else as if to say they screwed up. Not a leader, a do just enough player. Not a winner.

Marv was right about one thing. FA hurts your team more than it helps. Gilmore will walk and get paid top 10 money by someone. Gilmore then has a much better chance of being Byrd or Nate Clements than he does of being Winfield. The Bills will replace him with an overpaid player of lesser ability. And the cycle will continue.

It is a no win situation.

I've just about always felt he was way over-rated. His body language on the field is that of a soft player who likes to be seen at the periphery of plays, instead of where the action is.

I fully understand that his leaving would create a big hole for us, but boy do I want him outta here.

Gillmore's tackling makes Deion Sanders look like Antoine Winfield.

To the OP, I've always wanted to keep him as you have to live ok at who replaces him, but not at his money he wants. Negotiate a better deal based on his performance, and a fair contract with decent guaranteed money. If he doesn't, let him walk and test the market. Washington overpaid for Norman, and does not look like he did in Carolina.

You don't pay top dollar for guys with no heart and guys who underachieve. You try to come off like an expert but you are lacking common sense. If you have that big a man crush on him then you can follow whatever team he runs off to. He will probably get big money but if were the club that does it were crazy. He is one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen and yes he often plays timid and scared. I think he had one game where he had 2 picks but other than that he doesn't even have big play value. dump him

This, truly this, is the gospel when applied to Gilmore.

A Ravens fan joked to me after week 3 that Ed Reed's coaching career will be done after the season.

Could happen.

It should happen. And with a possible coaching change probably will. Nepotism rarely works out. See Rob Ryans redzone D as a nice example. He has done nothing with his unit (Reed) that can remotely be called successful.

imo