Trump foreign policy

Nikki Haley says Trump's Syria decision means leaving US allies 'to die'

Washington (CNN)Nikki Haley, President Donald Trump's former ambassador to the United Nations, issued stinging criticism of her former boss on Monday, saying Trump's decision to remove US troops from northern Syria as Turkey plans a military offensive in the region means the US is leaving Kurdish allies "to die."

"We must always have the backs of our allies, if we expect them to have our back. The Kurds were instrumental in our successful fight against ISIS in Syria. Leaving them to die is a big mistake. #TurkeyIsNotOurFriend," Haley, who also served as governor of South Carolina, wrote in a tweet.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-syria-troops-brett-mcgurk/index.html

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The joke is at Kristol and Boot's expense. Not the Kurds. 

Surely you don't wish to defend Kristol or Boot just to get a dig in on Trump, no? 

Just wondering what will happen to our allies over there once we pull out. Genocide? Turks hate the Kurds 

U.S. Consents to a Turkish Invasion in Syria; Kurdish Forces Call It ‘A Stab in the Back.’ 

It is, however, kind of funny to see some people who told us that Trump was going to get us into endless wars now complaining that he’s not starting anything here.

Personally, I think this is a bad move and I don’t like anything that gives Erdogan more power. However, I rather doubt the claim, aired in Reason at the link, that this is about Trump’s hotels in Turkey. And, really, that article is mostly evidence of how impossible it is to talk about foreign affairs, or anything, really, intelligently in the age of Trump Derangement.

UPDATE: Yeah, pretty much:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-07-at-12.22.28-PM.pn

So there’s a lot of interesting diplomacy going on in the region right now, and I suppose it’s possible that this deal is part of a larger scheme that makes sense, but if it were I think Nikki Haley would probably know that.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Remember when pulling out of unfinished conflicts was a good thing?  Seems like it was only 10 years ago.

The Bush Administration later sought an agreement with the Iraqi government, and in 2008 George W. Bush signed the U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement.  It included a deadline of 31 December 2011, before which "all the United States Forces shall withdraw from all Iraqi territory"    The last U.S. troops left Iraq on 18 December 2011, in accordance with this agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_of_U.S._troops_from_Iraq

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

The Bush Administration later sought an agreement with the Iraqi government, and in 2008 George W. Bush signed the U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement.  It included a deadline of 31 December 2011, before which "all the United States Forces shall withdraw from all Iraqi territory"    The last U.S. troops left Iraq on 18 December 2011, in accordance with this agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_of_U.S._troops_from_Iraq

This was true, unless we agreed to a new Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq. Iraq was expecting us to do so, but Obama skedaddled. I didn't even have to look that up.

Withdrawing US forces from Northern Syria is a catastrophic mistake that puts our gains against ISIS at risk and threatens US security.

This decision ignores lesson of 9/11. Terrorists thousands of miles away can and will use their safe-havens to launch attacks against America.

— Liz Cheney (@Liz_Cheney) October 7, 2019

Oh, another favor to a foreign leader? What favor was done here? 

The decision came after a telephone call with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey. 

• Like (+1) 1

S

McConnell warns Trump against withdrawing U.S. forces from northern Syria

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also urged the president to “exercise American leadership.” In a rare show of bipartisanship, congressional Republicans and Democrats largely were unified in criticizing Trump's move.

wow 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

U.S. Consents to a Turkish Invasion in Syria; Kurdish Forces Call It ‘A Stab in the Back.’ 

It is, however, kind of funny to see some people who told us that Trump was going to get us into endless wars now complaining that he’s not starting anything here.

Personally, I think this is a bad move and I don’t like anything that gives Erdogan more power. However, I rather doubt the claim, aired in Reason at the link, that this is about Trump’s hotels in Turkey. And, really, that article is mostly evidence of how impossible it is to talk about foreign affairs, or anything, really, intelligently in the age of Trump Derangement.

So there’s a lot of interesting diplomacy going on in the region right now, and I suppose it’s possible that this deal is part of a larger scheme that makes sense, but if it were I think Nikki Haley would probably know that.

Well according to DR those that don’t agree are neo cons...

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

Getting out of Syria is a good thing.

Getting out and not leaving a void is a good thing, too.

Leaving Turkey to police the void is a scary proposition.  This is Turkey who recently had extended meetings with Russia and Iran.  This is Turkey who let Russia fly over their airspace.  This is Turkey who buys Russian material over US material.  This is Turkey who hates the Kurds.  This is Erdogan who's a totalitarian scumbag.

Haley is right, but the other choices were: (a) stay there, or (b) leave the Kurds to police the void, and that would have pushed Turkey (a NATO member) over the line, or (c) let Syria police their own people (not really an option with Assad's track record).

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

Getting out of Syria is a good thing.

Getting out and not leaving a void is a good thing, too.

Leaving Turkey to police the void is a scary proposition.  This is Turkey who recently had extended meetings with Russia and Iran.  This is Turkey who let Russia fly over their airspace.  This is Turkey who buys Russian material over US material.  This is Turkey who hates the Kurds.  This is Erdogan who's a totalitarian scumbag.

Haley is right, but the other choices were: (a) stay there, or (b) leave the Kurds to police the void, and that would have pushed Turkey (a NATO member) over the line, or (c) let Syria police their own people (not really an option with Assad's track record).

I don't disagree with this, but there was a fourth choice: Allow Turkey to police the void with a very specific agreement on how they would treat the Kurds.

As it stands right now, we just abandoned our Kurdish allies to the wolves.

16 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I don't disagree with this, but there was a fourth choice: Allow Turkey to police the void with a very specific agreement on how they would treat the Kurds.

There's a lot of assumptions and few verifiable facts in all this analysis.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

50 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There's a lot of assumptions and few verifiable facts in all this analysis.

^^^^ true, and maybe the facts will mitigate whatever downside there appears to be.  But do you think Turkey will be an honest broker of peace for the Kurds? Turkey has tended to like a bit of chaos so they can leverege the west against the east and vice versa (not that I totally blame them, they’re in a tough location). 

47 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We never should have been in Syria to begin with.

Amen brother.

We don’t belong anywhere near the Middle East.

How many of our young soldiers do we have to lose in war that no one can win?

The neocons in Washington, ON BOTH SIDES of the political isle, need to shut the fvck up and be happy our kids are finally coming home where they belong.

• Like (+1) 1