Trump foreign policy

I would argue the problem is American diplomacy and foreign policy since the end of WW2 has served interests other than the American peoples'.

Shall we guess at who those interests are?

I would argue the problem is American diplomacy and foreign policy since the end of WW2 has served interests other than the American peoples'.

Military industrial complex as warned by Eisenhower , Plutocracy, Oligarchy

How many million more times are people going to overplay this half-cheeked statement he made.

How so ?

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961 (part of)

in the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.

In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present

and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific technological elite.

It is the task of statesmanship to mold, to balance, and to integrate these and other forces, new and old, within the principles of our democratic system -- ever aiming toward the supreme goals of our free society.

Edited by ALF

How so ?

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961 (part of)

in the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

Yet another case where everyone clings to the words as opposed to the actions.

I'm sure you've squared Ike's foreign policy and actions with the oft misapplied speech.

Yet another case where everyone clings to the words as opposed to the actions.

I'm sure you've squared Ike's foreign policy and actions with the oft misapplied speech.

I don't know what you mean.

I don't know what you mean.

Was Ike's foreign policy and growth of CIA's activities during his administration in line with his warnings about the military industrial complex?

Was Ike's foreign policy and growth of CIA's activities during his administration in line with his warnings about the military industrial complex?

I'll be honest , I do not know . He was my favorite President of all time . If you have more insight I would appreciate.

I'll be honest , I do not know . He was my favorite President of all time . If you have more insight I would appreciate.

The answer is yes. Ike was really into keeping the budget as close to in balance as possible. GG I think does not understand that the CIA operations were attempts to do things on the cheap. Ike was worried that the big defense firms were trying to squeeze the government for more funding, while Ike felt that nukes, MAD and CIA operations could reduce costs and allow us to grow our economy while out competing Soviets for economic resources around the world. So Ike put nukes on everything, fighter planes, in Turkey, on ships, etc. He also waged CIA operations in Iran (oil) and in Guatemala while trying to keep defense expenditures lower.