Trump foreign policy

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

“New Palestine” would not be allowed to form an army but could maintain a police force.

No government is legitiatmate without the ability to defend itself. 

The same thing worked in Japan.

In theory, at least. I do love their helicopter carrier "destroyers" though.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

You mean "helicopter" carrier "destroyers."  Japan's already ordered F-35B's to equip them.  

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If this was posted, apologies.

Israel newspaper publishes terms of ‘Deal of Century’

The main points of US President Donald Trump’s much-derided plan for the Middle East, the so-called “deal of the century,” were leaked by a Hebrew-language news outlet in Israel yesterday. Israel Hayom published the main points of the deal from a leaked document circulated by the Israeli Foreign Ministry

The US has said it will reveal its deal after the Muslim month of fasting comes to an end in early June.

The main points of the agreement put together by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner — who has extensive interests in Israel and its settlements — and proposed by the US administration are as follows:

A tripartite agreement will be signed between Israel, the PLO and Hamas, and a Palestinian state will be established that will be called “New Palestine” and will be established in the occupied West Bank and Gaza, with the exception of the settlements. Israel would release Palestinian prisoners gradually over the course of three years under the deal.

The settlement blocs in the occupied West Bank, which are illegal under international law, would form part of Israel.

</snip>

There is more after the snip.

How would that even work, adding the settlements to Israel, when they're often complete exclaves? Unless, maybe, there was some land-swapping?

16 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I don't know about that....Japan is one of the most homogenous countries on the planet with hundreds of years of rule with emperorers, etc to rely upon.  They don't have the numerous ethnic and religious factions that a New Palestine would have and Palestinians have never experienced a stable government that can get the job done. 

The West went out of its way to carve a place out for Israel and a successful Palestine state needs the same. Risky, absolutely but nobody knew the Israelis could govern until the West let them try.  

(I'm on neither side of the Israeli/Palestinian debate personally.)  

Two Saudi Oil tankers attacked in the Gulf! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/two-saudi-oil-tankers-attacked-in-the-persian-gulf-amid-rising-iran-tensions/2019/05/13/c8907108-755e-11e9-bd25-c989555e7766_story.html?utm_term=.580cd853ba6d

Higher gas prices anyone? 

Oil prices spike by 2% following attack Any further disruptions will stoke fears of supply crunch, analysts saygulfnews.com/business/e…gulfnews.com/business/e…