Rex vs Belichick First 8 Seasons as a HC

Dr.Sack

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex couldn't go that long without being in the spotlight.

Definitely not.

And its somewhat well known that when Belichick went back to being a defensive coordinator, he also did soul searching. He bought a copy of his 80's arch nemesis Bill Walsh's book Finding the Winning Edge.

He then studied it.

He calls it his bible.

Then he went to a crossroads in Mississippi and sold his soul to be a Super Bowl winning head coach.

I had a friend who was a huge Browns fan then. Bernie Kosar was QB. They had the most boring offense and only scored filed goals. They hated BB.

Seriously, if he had never found Tom Brady you wonder how good a coach he would be. The Bills prob win 2 SB if we had drafted Brady.

Definitely not.

And its somewhat well known that when Belichick went back to being a defensive coordinator, he also did soul searching. He bought a copy of his 80's arch nemesis Bill Walsh's book Finding the Winning Edge.

He then studied it.

He calls it his bible.

Then he went to a crossroads in Mississippi and sold his soul to be a Super Bowl winning head coach.

BB is going to be a first ballot HOF coach and be considered the best coach in the history of the game. His challenges due to the cap, free agency and player movement make his achievements even more impressive. His sustained success in the modern era of the NFL should be acknowledged and appreciated.

BB is going to be a first ballot HOF coach and be considered the best coach in the history of the game. His challenges due to the cap, free agency and player movement make his achievements even more impressive. His sustained success in the modern era of the NFL should be acknowledged and appreciated.

If not the best ever, he's top 3 with Walsh and Lombardi.

He's a genuine student of the game, like both Walsh and Lombardi were.

And there is one thing he has on both of them. He has a willingness to change scheme/game plan in a moment's notice and exploit a weakness.

He can switch from 9 in the box to putting out 7 dbs from one series to another. He can go from 5 wide no huddle to running a big back up the middle for 10 straight plays. He's always looking to exploit a weakness.

I had a friend who was a huge Browns fan then. Bernie Kosar was QB. They had the most boring offense and only scored filed goals. They hated BB.

Seriously, if he had never found Tom Brady you wonder how good a coach he would be. The Bills prob win 2 SB if we had drafted Brady.

Kosar was done by the time BB got there; they were 3-13 the year before and BB rebuilt and got them to 11-5 four years later.

Yes the Bills probably win 2 SBs with Brady. BB has won 4 and was close on 2 others. That's the difference.

As for Rex, as was stated in the other thread, Whaley has assembled a .500 team so why are people upset that Rex has produced .500 seasons out of them? That's what middle tier coaches do. If Rex was a top tier coach he might get more out of the talent, but the Bills aren't getting a top tier coach here, ever. The alternative is bottom tier coaches who get less out of their talent and there are plenty of those around.

INteresting analysis. Like Tim Graham I too can pull arbitrary numbers to prove my argument.

Rex Ryan - 126 regular season games, 61 wins, 65 losses, 6 playoff games, 4 wins, 2 losses (2 trips to postseason)

Bill Belichick - 128 regular season games, 61 wins, 67 losses, 5 playoff games, 4 wins, 1 loss (2 trips to postseason)

Flame away ya'll..

This thread was already a tire fire when you pressed "post".

Subsequent posters have doused it with reality.

INteresting analysis. Like Tim Graham I too can pull arbitrary numbers to prove my argument.

Rex Ryan - 126 regular season games, 61 wins, 65 losses, 6 playoff games, 4 wins, 2 losses (2 trips to postseason)

Bill Belichick - 128 regular season games, 61 wins, 67 losses, 5 playoff games, 4 wins, 1 loss (2 trips to postseason)

Flame away ya'll..

Good fuel for the continuity crowd.

Good fuel for a Head-Coach-is-only-as-good-as-his-QB crowd, too.

BLEDSOE GOT HURT!

And the BIlls thing to do...go get Bledsoe!

A coach is only as good as his QB. IF BB was such a great coach, why didnt he play Brady from the start? Why didnt they draft him in the first round?

Good for him,,,but at the same time...EFF HIM!

BB knew what he had in Brady was special because in year one they kept FOUR QB's so Brady could develop as he was a raw talent back then. Year 2 he went from 4th string QB to the primary Backup and in week 2 he took over. The first 2 years as a starter the Pats had him as a game manager and by year 4 on the team he blossomed. So yes he was patient with Brady and allowed him to develop while having the D and RB carry the team.

As for why not draft him in the 1st round, they had a franchise QB who had started a SB and numerous playoff games.

to me the post is a perfect counter balance to the yellow journalism practiced by the Buffalo News. Take a stat , random or otherwise and build your case around it . Is Rex better then Bill ? NO on the other hand I think some of you forget how dominate his defense were on the Jets. Take a look at some of the Bills games.

and I have no idea what is the issue with the defense now.

I have to say it's a very interesting data. Then Bellichick found Brady...

And his pervasive, systemic cheating methods starting paying dividends

When a new owner took over he foolishly wanted to install his own people. So BB's short stint was ended. What people forget is that Ozzie Newsome, now acknowledged as one of the best personnel in the game, was on his staff. BB is certainly one of the best, if not the best, coach in the history of the game. He is also very astute in building an organization that allows him to have unparalleled sustained success.

Rex Ryan compared to BB is like Bozo the Clown compared to Stehpen Hawking. :D

Haha

I think it's more like Olympic hopefuls. There are always a number of elite athletes who are seen as having the potential to become champions. Some take that final step - do the soul searching, the extra training, the heightened focus, whatever it takes, and become champions. Some don't, and become has-beens or almost-weres.

At about the same age (47, 48) both Ryan and Belichick were afforded the opportunity to HC an NFL team after having been DC on a winning, playoff team. Belichick started with a miserable 5-11 franchise. Ryan started with a team that had gone 9-7 the previous year. In their second year coaching, both teams had promising records of 11-5.

After that, the results diverged sharply. Rex hasn't had a winning record since.

Belichick found Brady, true, but results when Brady's been injured and multiple players injured are still winning.

I think it's that one coach took that final step, the soul searching, the heightened focus, the extra work, sometimes the ruthlessness in cutting players or letting players go (even if they've really helped the franchise) when their cost/value fades. The other found distractions, publicity, and sometimes excessive loyalty to players and coaches who weren't getting it done.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The first 2 years as a starter the Pats had him as a game manager and by year 4 on the team he blossomed. So yes he was patient with Brady and allowed him to develop while having the D and RB carry the team.

Interesting post

The plan we seem to be following with TT

Oh, unfortunately our D can't carry the team

It's crazy!

It doesn't fit with the "Rex is incompetent!" narrative!

But it's true.

The ONE thing I wonder is whether Rex is putting in the time he used to when his defenses were great. I base this on last season when the D would have a random game here or there (such as in NE* on MNF) where all the same guys who had been average at best suddenly looked incredible then went right back to being average the next week.

Did they suddenly understand the defense for a week? Did Rex put extra effort (i.e. the effort a coach NEEDS to put in every week) those weeks? Did the players try harder?

Belichick lives, breathes, and sleeps football. Other fans tears and souls are his nourishment. That's the biggest difference IMO.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Interesting post

The plan we seem to be following with TT

Oh, unfortunately our D can't carry the team

What I find interesting is you out this Ground and Pound O with Ryan's Jet defense (a few yrs back) and the team probably in the hunt for the division still. Weird how he has yet to get both sides on one team.

You are overlooking the proof positive that Rex is as good as BB.

huge fan really it was vinny t and Mike tomzak