Chef Knives...What Is Your Favorite?

It seems that there are quite a few cooks on this forum and I was wondering if anyone else is a sucker when it comes to knives? The Chef Central store near me just went out of business and everything was 40% off. They had a few really nice knives and even though I don't need them, I picked up 2 beauties. A Kikuichi Swedish Staingold Guyoto and heavy duty forged Global for the rough work. I've got a few other nice knives that have relegated my old Henckels to back up duty. I'm now one of those snobs that lectures my family about knives when I cook at their house and they have some dull slab of a knife. I also picked up a nice Le Creuset pot for 40% off.

For as much as I cook, the best knife in my drawer is still a ceramic blade. I think Kyocera makes it. Its still quite sharp over 5 years later. I bought a set of forged, German manufactured Henckels as a non-denominational, winter solstice, holiday season gift. At least I'll be able to use those when I cook at her place.

Nice pickup on the Le Creuset pot, very handy addition. My mother moved to assisted living and I gave hers to my son, warning him that this was a special gift. I saw similar dutch ovens at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $350. I made vegetable soup in mine yesterday.

As for knives, I like to play in the kitchen, but I'm no expert. I use the same big, heavy J.A. Henckels for almost everything. My wife likes to work with smaller paring knives. Of course, certain things call for a good serrated knife, but that's about the only other knife I pull out of the drawer.

I have a couple of Henckels. It's just myself so I don't have to worry about anyone else not using them correctly. Our farmers market has a knife sharpener guy on site so I take them in periodically to get sharpened.

Huh, I guess that's a thing - our farmers market has a knife sharpener as well.

Ive been shopping around a bit for a good versatile chef knife lately. I have the "meh" one that came in my fully knife set. its fine and all, but for the amount i do i feel like its a fair place to invest instead of another gadget.

the last knife purchase i got was when a website was going out of business and had a killer deal on a big ol dexter cleaver ($45 down to like $15). they sent two by accident. i have to figure out someone to give the other two cause its a beast and just taking up space.

Edited by NoSaint

Ha, I actually use my $15 cast iron pan more than anything else now. Those are pretty impressive though!

My favorite is my piece of **** one I've had forever. It's not the knife as much as the person using it. :D

I agree to a certain point, but a nicely balanced thin knife that can be sharpened to a razor edge certainly makes things easier. Maybe it helps to make up for my mediocre knife skills!

Ha, I actually use my $15 cast iron pan more than anything else now. Those are pretty impressive though!

I agree to a certain point, but a nicely balanced thin knife that can be sharpened to a razor edge certainly makes things easier. Maybe it helps to make up for my mediocre knife skills!

I have mad knife skills. I knife is just an extension of my hand. Comes from 40 years of working with food.

However with the average person's skills I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on a knife. Just keep it nice and sharp and I agree that taking it to a professional to get sharpened is the best thing.

When it comes time to find something part time to do, I'm going to do the same thing and knock on doors of restaurants. Plenty of "inventory" there. Knife sharpening while you wait.

Experience has taught me that most cooks haven't a clue on how to sharpen a knife. I'm a perfect example. Most places have their knives sent out or a guy comes around and sharpens them.

I have mad knife skills. I knife is just an extension of my hand. Comes from 40 years of working with food.

However with the average person's skills I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on a knife. Just keep it nice and sharp and I agree that taking it to a professional to get sharpened is the best thing.

Experience has taught me that most cooks haven't a clue on how to sharpen a knife. I'm a perfect example. Most places have their knives sent out or a guy comes around and sharpens them.

My uncle is a butcher. He can sharpen a life like a mo fo.

I'm jealous of your knife skills because I have none.

I recently purchased sharpening stones and have learned how to get a pretty decent edge on my knives. I spent money supposedly having a pro do the same and while maybe the wrong guy did it (Williams Sonoma recommended him), I do better on my own.

FWIW I bought a set of Wusthof knives years ago and they are excellent. I can't imagine that I will ever need to buy another knife.

My uncle is a butcher. He can sharpen a life like a mo fo.

I'm not surprised. Dude probably has a 3# thumb.

I'm jealous of your knife skills because I have none.

We were on vacation with some friends a few years ago. We each took turns cooking dinner. It was my turn and I bought some whole chickens. I broke them all down in no time and a friend said shaking his head "what did I just witness here??" In this video below what you really need to see is at the 4:30 mark he says "I always hold my knife like this." If your hand is 100% on the handle and not the blade you have less control. Most of my hand is on the blade not the handle.

I'm not surprised. Dude probably has a 3# thumb.

We were on vacation with some friends a few years ago. We each took turns cooking dinner. It was my turn and I bought some whole chickens. I broke them all down in no time and a friend said shaking his head "what did I just witness here??" In this video below what you really need to see is at the 4:30 mark he says "I always hold my knife like this." If your hand is 100% on the handle and not the blade you have less control. Most of my hand is on the blade not the handle.

That was unbereivabre.

Absolutely nothing special about my knife skills, but I do hold it better since going to a date night style cooking class at the Viking store a couple years ago. He almost scolded some people, but said I was close, so I was the lesser idiot that night. I've since moved up more on the blade.

I'll throw this out here, I enjoy the date night type cooking classes, but would actually like to learn to improve my overall kitchen skills. I'm looking into some basic culinary classes at a nearby university. There are closed for the holidays, but I plan to head up, look around and check it out. The question is this: is there a better way to hone your skills and learn a bit? I'm not looking to work banquets at the Hyatt, just entertain family and friends a little better. I have plenty of time on my hands and learning something sounds attractive. (Also looking into photography classes.) Anyone have suggestions? Just trial and error is what I've been doing.....which is fine, but....

Absolutely nothing special about my knife skills, but I do hold it better since going to a date night style cooking class at the Viking store a couple years ago. He almost scolded some people, but said I was close, so I was the lesser idiot that night. I've since moved up more on the blade.

I'll throw this out here, I enjoy the date night type cooking classes, but would actually like to learn to improve my overall kitchen skills. I'm looking into some basic culinary classes at a nearby university. There are closed for the holidays, but I plan to head up, look around and check it out. The question is this: is there a better way to hone your skills and learn a bit? I'm not looking to work banquets at the Hyatt, just entertain family and friends a little better. I have plenty of time on my hands and learning something sounds attractive. (Also looking into photography classes.) Anyone have suggestions? Just trial and error is what I've been doing.....which is fine, but....

I taught myself how to cook over the years. Started off watching FoodNetwork ( which is trash these days. Maybe it always was), then cookbooks, and now a lot of internet research.

I really like SeriousEats.com for explaining the why of the recipe, dispelling common myths and grandma style misinformation, and recommending better practices/recipes. Its geared toward the home cook so its accessible. AmazingRibs.com has been equally great for bbq and grilling.

Modernist Cuisine is a great resource for breaking down the science of cooking and explaining what happens at a molecular level. Modernist is aimed toward more advanced and hardcore home cooks, their recipes are mostly impractical, but the information is broadly applicable and there are a lot of cool techniques you can use.

YouTube has been awesome for providing a visual on techniques which I haven't attempted before. I used YouTube to see how to cut certain vegetables properly and efficiently (its a major time saver), shuck oysters, breakdown live crab, prep fish, wrap dumplings, wrap beef wellington, etc. Seeing it done before you attempt it is great.

With these sources I would say that I now understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it in the kitchen. With a bunch of techniques in my toolbox, recipes are now just guides for ratios and proportion and I mix, match, and customize (for better or worse). Cooking is a lot more fun when it evolves past following steps checking a book for what comes next.

I hope this helps to some degree.

P.S. - I dazzled the old bags and hapless instructor at my Williams Sonoma date night cooking class. I half considered a mutiny. I'm the teacher now!!

I absolutely do not need an expensive fancy knife. I just really like the idea of the best steels and craftsmanship. It's the same with the folding knives I have. I guess it's like having a Rolex vs a timex. Totally unnecessary. I guess I could have worse bad habits or addictions. I appreciate the craftsmanship and history.

Augie- maybe check out local universities? I actually saw one here through Tulane run by their culinary medicine department. Got the email about an hour ago that I could do their free 6 week intro class starting in a few weeks (and then be eligible for higher levels down the line if I liked it). I was really surprised by a free community program like that as it seems reasonably extensive

I had noticed it randomly earlier this year and just tossed my name on a list- funny timing.

I absolutely do not need an expensive fancy knife. I just really like the idea of the best steels and craftsmanship. It's the same with the folding knives I have. I guess it's like having a Rolex vs a timex. Totally unnecessary. I guess I could have worse bad habits or addictions. I appreciate the craftsmanship and history.

I make my own knives for that reason.

I mean...I buy the steel. But since I'm choosing the steel, I know it's quality and will hold an edge. Then I make the handles for balance and fit.

I also sharpen them myself. Apparently, unlike professional cooks, I'm not a kitty.

I taught myself how to cook over the years. Started off watching FoodNetwork ( which is trash these days. Maybe it always was), then cookbooks, and now a lot of internet research.

I really like SeriousEats.com for explaining the why of the recipe, dispelling common myths and grandma style misinformation, and recommending better practices/recipes. Its geared toward the home cook so its accessible. AmazingRibs.com has been equally great for bbq and grilling.

Modernist Cuisine is a great resource for breaking down the science of cooking and explaining what happens at a molecular level. Modernist is aimed toward more advanced and hardcore home cooks, their recipes are mostly impractical, but the information is broadly applicable and there are a lot of cool techniques you can use.

YouTube has been awesome for providing a visual on techniques which I haven't attempted before. I used YouTube to see how to cut certain vegetables properly and efficiently (its a major time saver), shuck oysters, breakdown live crab, prep fish, wrap dumplings, wrap beef wellington, etc. Seeing it done before you attempt it is great.

With these sources I would say that I now understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it in the kitchen. With a bunch of techniques in my toolbox, recipes are now just guides for ratios and proportion and I mix, match, and customize (for better or worse). Cooking is a lot more fun when it evolves past following steps checking a book for what comes next.

I hope this helps to some degree.

P.S. - I dazzled the old bags and hapless instructor at my Williams Sonoma date night cooking class. I half considered a mutiny. I'm the teacher now!!

Thanks! That's awesome, and I think I'm following in your steps. We went to my wife's company Xmas party last night (staff and clients of a huge wealth management company....tens of thousands of dollars on this bash at a multi-million dollar house - WOW!) and people kept coming up telling me what a great cook I am. It wasn't just from my wife, we've done some things with her staff (some of whom apparently like to blow smoke!). Our future in-laws led with he same thing, apparently from my always hungry son. My sisters are the same way. I feel like I need to learn how to live up to this! I'm mostly just winging it. I feel like a fraud, and I'm a little bored.

The first time I try a recipe, I try to stick to it. It feels like progress when I can adapt and evolve to get things the way I want it. The internet is awesome for ideas. I want to try an intense experience and see how much I get from it. I think I'm looking for something between date night classes and college classes.

Augie- maybe check out local universities? I actually saw one here through Tulane run by their culinary medicine department. Got the email about an hour ago that I could do their free 6 week intro class starting in a few weeks (and then be eligible for higher levels down the line if I liked it). I was really surprised by a free community program like that as it seems reasonably extensive

I had noticed it randomly earlier this year and just tossed my name on a list- funny timing.

Thanks to you too! That sounds like exactly what I want. I looked into the one by me, and their website tells me (even for "adult learners") they want high school and college transcripts, proof of immunizations, etc. Sounds like a bit much, but I get rules. They are closed until after New Years so I'll go visit in a couple weeks. Edited by Augie

I mean...I buy the steel. But since I'm choosing the steel, I know it's quality and will hold an edge. Then I make the handles for balance and fit.

I also sharpen them myself. Apparently, unlike professional cooks, I'm not a kitty.

Yeah but can you cook?? :rolleyes:

You buy someone else's steel? How.....un-organic!

You buy someone else's steel? How.....un-organic!

Probably steel from Mexico.

I have a couple of Henckels. It's just myself so I don't have to worry about anyone else not using them correctly. Our farmers market has a knife sharpener guy on site so I take them in periodically to get sharpened.

I got a nice set of Henckels as a best man gift. Very solid knives.

Japanese Damascus steel, actually.

Though if you want to get industrious, you can buy O1 steel blanks and grind your own blades. https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=11678&step=4&showunits=inches&id=246&top_cat=1354 But I don't have the equipment for that, and I prefer the pattern on Damascus steel anyway.

I got a nice set of Henckels as a best man gift. Very solid knives.

Awesome idea! My oldest son just got engaged and the youngest is sure to be best man. As it turns out, the youngest is a wannabe chef (like me). He's got a bunch of stuff under the tree which dominates this year's gifts. My wife made him open a couple Sunday as he was here for the Bills game, and he dominates the package under the tree.

Japanese Damascus steel, actually.

Though if you want to get industrious, you can buy O1 steel blanks and grind your own blades. https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=11678&step=4&showunits=inches&id=246&top_cat=1354 But I don't have the equipment for that, and I prefer the pattern on Damascus steel anyway.

Fancy boy.

If your hand is 100% on the handle and not the blade you have less control. Most of my hand is on the blade not the handle.

You're the first person I've heard say this in quite a while. I never had formal culinary training, but during my years in kitchens I worked with a few people who were really good, and they all taught me to hold my blade in that fashion. It absolutely makes a difference.

As far as owning quality chef knives goes, I've owned a Henkel but my favorite go-to is a mid-level Chicago Cutlery which I keep fairly keen by using a steel.

You mean you don't mine the ore yourself? The crucible process is still a viable method for home steel-making, and well within the capabilities of any discerning, capable American male.

You may as well just order your knives online, for Pete's sake.

You mean you don't mine the ore yourself? The crucible process is still a viable method for home steel-making, and well within the capabilities of any discerning, capable American male.

You may as well just order your knives online, for Pete's sake.

Of course I do. I'm just not equipped to forge-weld the blades.

Interesting topic, for me at least, because while my knife skills are not great, I genuinely enjoy the part of cooking that requires slicing, dicing, mincing, etc.

My father-in-law brought me my first serious chef's knife about 10 years ago (Wustof), and after using "knife sets," it was like the first time I heard Lyle Lovett's "Here I Am" on high-end speakers.

About a year-and-a-half agoI was introduced to these new knifes, tried one out and fell in love. It's like they cut the handle to fit my hand, yet it's light as can be. I got the 8" and 10" chef's knives, though I probably could live with just the 8".

A lot of cash, but completely worth it to me. Can't imagine needing another knife ever again.

Interesting topic, for me at least, because while my knife skills are not great, I genuinely enjoy the part of cooking that requires slicing, dicing, mincing, etc.

My father-in-law brought me my first serious chef's knife about 10 years ago (Wustof), and after using "knife sets," it was like the first time I heard Lyle Lovett's "Here I Am" on high-end speakers.

About a year-and-a-half agoI was introduced to these new knifes, tried one out and fell in love. It's like they cut the handle to fit my hand, yet it's light as can be. I got the 8" and 10" chef's knives, though I probably could live with just the 8".

A lot of cash, but completely worth it to me. Can't imagine needing another knife ever again.

YIKES! The first thing I glimpsed on that link was a 7 piece set for $1,500. I have my favorite knife (J.A. Henckles purchased years ago from my starving art student nephew) that I use for almost everything. Not having it would take the fun out of it, like going back to electric from gas. I'm glad that ONE knife is all I need.