La Canfora on FAN 590: Bills Situation "Toxic"

Doutz

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just like our front office but lets keep em they are so awesome!!! :w00t::w00t:

Our talent is not better and has basically been the same the whole draught, time to clean house.

He's a lot like Rex so you should love them both. :lol:

just like our front office but lets keep em they are so awesome!!! :w00t::w00t:

Our talent is not better and has basically been the same the whole draught, time to clean house.

Sure. It's just like when Jauron and Chan were here. No difference. :lol:

Old power struggles? That narrows it down to Brandon, Jimmy O, and Berchtold. Who were those three vying with 10 years ago? A newly hired Marv Levy? Their bosses in Detroit? Each other; a marketing guy, a financial manager, and the chief PR guy?

Malarkey and Marrone are former head coaches of the Buffalo Bills who resigned. That's where the similarities begin and end.

I think you're simplifying it a bit. This seems to be a typical battle between a coach and a GM, with the team President lurking in the background. And each of them have staff that's loyal to them and not to the coach. These leaks to the media are totally evocative of the Donahoe days when Bills would start feeding information to the media in advance of a big player hitting free agency. Suddenly, the story went, the guy lost a step here or there or had trouble picking up his coverage. Sounds like the same pattern to me, despite all the new blood at OBD.

If I'm Pegula, I'm livid that somebody from my staff is having these types of discussions with national rumor mongers.

I suppose not, but the only reason you still have a team to B word about is because of them.

Why even show up here if the only contribution is complaining about any complaints. It's been almost two decades- be excited there's even enough enthusiasm to complain

So did anyone actually listen to the audio of the interview?

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_have.html#incart_river_index

Here are the highlights:

"They basically got the owner's mind made up that we can't go through with this again in 2017," La Canfora said in regards to retaining Rex Ryan. "If the GM and other executives in that building got their way, this change would have been made after the Pittsburgh game. They wanted Anthony Lynn to take over and then give Cardale Jones a shot. Look at their final three games. If they were to go 2-1 down the stretch or win all three which wouldn't be out of the question regardless, then it could be problem solved. They've got a coach there who's not gonna give them a lot of push back and brush back. A guy who would be happy to do the job. A guy who they could probably control to a certain degree, actually control to a large degree. And then, 'Away we go, nothing to see here. We've got the talent. We were just held back by coaching.'"

"If Pegula had the right sort of connections around the league, if he knew who to talk to, if there were outside voices he could really trust, I have no doubt that they would say, 'You've got to start completely over, buddy. You gotta gut that thing and move forward with a completely different cast and characters in terms of personnel and coaching.'..."If Pegula was talking to the right people outside of that building," La Canfora said, "I think he would be looking to detonate the entire thing. Who he mostly talks to though are Doug (Whaley) and Russ (Brandon) and people who are in that inner core who have a vested stake in staying there and having it remain as close to status quo as possible."

God I hate LaCanfora...But I have to admit these comment are fascinating to me...I don't trust him at all...But the thing is he certainly could be right about this...I can see how it's possible...Especially how outsiders and more experienced/successful NFL GM's and execs see the Bills situation...Whaley came from a great organization, but it's not like he ever made decisions there...Russ came from what? Baseball? I don't question their individual talents...But we're talking about two of the most powerful voices in this organization...And I certainly can see how someone seemingly more qualified in football team building could think they are a bit out of their element...

When I look at Whaley...He has basically built his own scouting department...And our last three Drafts have been...well...OK...Just OK...The key with Whaley...IMHO...will be Cardale...If CJ turns out to be a real good NFL QB then his Draft grade overall skyrockets...if not it's...well...again...just OK...The Sammy trade, in retrospect was a poor decision...No matter how high anyone is on Sammy (and for the record I love Sammy)...IF you're trading up to that spot, which I think was a mistake regardless, Mack should have been the target...And IF you HAVE to have a WR then Evans and Beckham were better options...Whaley has done well to bring talent in through Free Agency...And the Hughes trade was really, really good...But he's obviously not great...The proof is on the field...He's just OK...

Russ is a whole different story...For someone who probably has the owners ear more than any other person in the entire organization Russ can't exactly point to much success on the field...Off the field he's a master...But if he's advising the owner on big...HUGE decisions like HC...What successful examples can he possibly exhibit? He wanted to hire Marrone?

Anyway...It's fascinating to me...And to be honest I think they all have to go...Every last one of them...I doubt it happens...but I think it should... B-)

I think you're simplifying it a bit. This seems to be a typical battle between a coach and a GM, with the team President lurking in the background. And each of them have staff that's loyal to them and not to the coach. These leaks to the media are totally evocative of the Donahoe days when Bills would start feeding information to the media in advance of a big player hitting free agency. Suddenly, the story went, the guy lost a step here or there or had trouble picking up his coverage. Sounds like the same pattern to me, despite all the new blood at OBD.

If I'm Pegula, I'm livid that somebody from my staff is having these types of discussions with national rumor mongers.

is it really all that new??

I have no problem with the Shady contract. He deserves it. They did not ignore S or WR. They instead banked on Aaron Williams staying healthy and signed Blanton/Colt Anderson. None of those worked out unfortunately. I wanted them to draft a WR earlier than Listenbee. They were unfortunately decimated there too. Clay would be more effective with a QB who uses the middle of the field. Lots of good players on the team but they need a QB.

If players don't play well or get injured and a starting level player does not replace them (even though backups usually aren't as good as starters league wide) the position was ignored and the management did not try to find players. Didn't you get the memo?

Well that's certainly not provable, but thanks for the reminder.

They still have done a ****ty job making decisions, which was the point before your weird tangent here.

:lol: Oh here we go down that rabbit hole. Maybe you were in a coma for most of the 2010's. Trust me. The Bills leaving was considered a done deal by every member of the media. Only a guy nutty enough to overpay for the team by $600 million kept them here.

Maybe the Sabres are a good reference here. He did give Darcy and Lindy a chance to right the ship before blowing it up.

Well he bought a Bills team that was 9-7. Most people would consider that a team that was close. So I don't think keeping Marrone on board was the wrong move. Of course St. Doug's power play led to hiring Rex which we are seeing now wasn't the smartest move.

But the Bills at .500 don't scream tank. That's my take on Terry & Kim.

:lol: Oh here we go down that rabbit hole. Maybe you were in a coma for most of the 2010's. Trust me. The Bills leaving was considered a done deal by every member of the media. Only a guy nutty enough to overpay for the team by $600 million kept them here.

Maybe the Sabres are a good reference here. He did give Darcy and Lindy a chance to right the ship before blowing it up.

Well he bought a Bills team that was 9-7. Most people would consider that a team that was close. So I don't think keeping Marrone on board was the wrong move. Of course St. Doug's power play led to hiring Rex which we are seeing now wasn't the smartest move.

But the Bills at .500 don't scream tank. That's my take on Terry & Kim.

You have Stockholm Syndrome, brah.