Rex's "This is Fine" press conference today - a doozy

YoloinOhio

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So there's three weeks left in a season that would require multiple miracles in order for the Bills to finish with a winning record, let alone get into the playoffs.

Everyone in North America with a pulse knows Rex Ryan's on the hot seat and very likely to lose his job.

And people have a problem with the media asking about job security??

The Bills play three teams with bad QB's and the one team that could really blow Buffalo out of the playoff race had their winning QB go out with an injury.

Rex knows he stands a good chance to keep his job with a 9-7 finish as it is an improvement over 8-8.

What Rex doesn't realize is that all three teams will now try and stuff the run and force Tyrod to beat them with his arm. Then they will attempt to run the ball on the Bills as Ryan switches to a two-gap run stopping defense...only he had better hope that none of those three QB's get a hot hand.

Guys - Rex has dealt with the NY/NJ media, he can handle these clowns.

Good for him. Let him learn Japanese or Spanish so he can be a translator for some MLB team. He sure as !@#$ can't coach football.

The Bills play three teams with bad QB's and the one team that could really blow Buffalo out of the playoff race had their winning QB go out with an injury.

Rex knows he stands a good chance to keep his job with a 9-7 finish as it is an improvement over 8-8.

What Rex doesn't realize is that all three teams will now try and stuff the run and force Tyrod to beat them with his arm. Then they will attempt to run the ball on the Bills as Ryan switches to a two-gap run stopping defense...only he had better hope that none of those three QB's get a hot hand.

I just wonder if Pegs and the bunch up there are really that naive to be fooled by that potential 9-7...I mean...If they get there, and beat Miami, that's still no better than 2-6 vs teams with winning records this year...And everyone knows that would be 1-7 if Brady played the game at NE...Is there any better way to judge a teams progress towards improvement then how they fare against the better teams in the NFL when they play them head-to-head?

9-7 or not this team is so far away from being a contender...I don't know...I hope they are not that stupid... B-)

Not a lot going on here.

A reporter whose voice I couldn't identify was trying to "catch" Rex in a "lie" because Rex insinuated that he heard about the rumor of his Monday firing some time prior to the post-game PC.

(Keeping in mind that at the post-game PC Rex said it was the first time he had heard of such news).

This reporter kept harping and harping trying to catch up Rex on what is a meaningless point and frankly, the whole thing was misguided and amateurish. (The voice sounded young but I have no idea who it was or if he was young).

At a certain point another voice from within the media shouted "What difference does it make!" addressing the first reporter.

Rex somewhat amazingly put on a good face and went around and around fairly pleasantly dealing with the entire situation, basically repeating that he promises everyone he did not know about this rumor.

THANKS

I just wonder if Pegs and the bunch up there are really that naive to be fooled by that potential 9-7...I mean...If they get there, and beat Miami, that's still no better than 2-6 vs teams with winning records this year...And everyone knows that would be 1-7 if Brady played the game at NE...Is there any better way to judge a teams progress towards improvement then how they fare against the better teams in the NFL when they play them head-to-head?

9-7 or not this team is so far away from being a contender...I don't know...I hope they are not that stupid... B-)

This argument isnt strong in my opinion.

Last year the Redskins made the playoffs without beating a team with a winning record.

Before the season if someone told you the bills would go 9-7. You may not have been doing cartwheels in the street but you probably wouldve been "ok". Im guessing easily more than half of the bills fanbase expected about 9-7.

This argument isnt strong in my opinion.

Last year the Redskins made the playoffs without beating a team with a winning record.

Before the season if someone told you the bills would go 9-7. You may not have been doing cartwheels in the street but you probably wouldve been "ok". Im guessing easily more than half of the bills fanbase expected about 9-7.

There is a big difference between a team who battles it out for the playoffs until the last week of the season, losing its last game to drop to 9-7, and a team that goes 6-7 in the competitive portion of the season, then after being eliminated, beats a few tomato cans in half-empty stadiums to finish 9-7. It's like Tyrod throwing for 48 yards in the first half and piling on 150 in the second half, when the other team is playing soft to protect a big lead. Garbage time.

Time to move on. This guy couldn't coach Pop Warner football, let alone an NFL team. I was excited when we hired him, but this is a results based business. After almost two full seasons, I believe we are quite possibly a worse team than when Rex arrived. Defense is putrid and that's supposed to be his specialty. Time to go Rex. I can't even begin to imagine trying to be optimistic about next season if he is still here.

Time to move on. This guy couldn't coach Pop Warner football, let alone an NFL team. I was excited when we hired him, but this is a results based business. After almost two full seasons, I believe we are quite possibly a worse team than when Rex arrived. Defense is putrid and that's supposed to be his specialty. Time to go Rex. I can't even begin to imagine trying to be optimistic about next season if he is still here.

Agreed!

There is a big difference between a team who battles it out for the playoffs until the last week of the season, losing its last game to drop to 9-7, and a team that goes 6-7 in the competitive portion of the season, then after being eliminated, beats a few tomato cans in half-empty stadiums to finish 9-7. It's like Tyrod throwing for 48 yards in the first half and piling on 150 in the second half, when the other team is playing soft to protect a big lead. Garbage time.

I get what you're saying, but just playing devil's advocate here: we're technically not eliminated from the playoffs. We didn't go 0-7 and then started winning games. Being 6-7 in December means we are competitive in the competitive portion of the season (whatever that really means).

Also, objectively looking back on our season so far:

1. We have three upset wins where we weren't favored to win by Vegas: Cards, New England, Cincy. Before anyone goes into the nonsense about the Cards not being good, or NE and their 3rd string QB, I'll gladly bring up each prediction thread on this forum leading up to those games where barely anyone picked us to win, in order to avoid the benefit of hindsight.

2. We have had 2 losses where we were favored to win: Jets and Miami. We could've and should've won both those games and didn't. We may very well miss the playoffs b/c of those two losses.

3. The remainder of our games we either beat the opponent we were expected to beat, or lost vs opponents we were expected to lose against.

In my opinion the season so far has been a bit of a disappointment for the following reasons:

1. The way we lost to Oakland was a major kick in the nuts. It's hard to emotionally recover from losses like that..especially with the playoffs in play.

2. The defense continues to be somewhat of a dumpster fire. When the HC makes his living on being a defensive guru, and yet the defense still isn't functioning properly in year 2, we have a major issue that needs to be directly addressed. If not for his defensive coaching abilities, why else is Rex here then, is my question.

That being said, if we're to be 100% objective, the season for the most part has gone as expected and predicted. So why the mass hysteria by the Bills media and fans?

There are serious questions that need to be asked about our defense and potential QB going forward. Right now I would lean towards keeping Rex as the HC. We keep hearing how players love to play for him. He can continue to be the HC and the face of the Bills. But I'd only be willing to keep him as HC if Whaley is allowed to bring in the DC of his choosing. If Rex is unwilling to accept that, then the Bills should fire Rex. And they would be justified in doing so in my opinion.

Edited by bobobonators

For what it's worth, that news conference wasn't the media's finest moment.

We have off days, too.

For what it's worth, also, those painting their criticisms of the media with a wide-sweeping brush are wrong.

jw

Were there any full nelsons or table slams?

For what it's worth, that news conference wasn't the media's finest moment.

We have off days, too.

For what it's worth, also, those painting their criticisms of the media with a wide-sweeping brush are wrong.

jw

No it was not.

The "brush" certainly does not include guys like you or Sal but does include the guys whose MO is to do this and have an agenda/narrative they are pushing.

It is not a coincidence that at least one the guys from this PC was one of the guys who was responsible for the cluster f#%k year end Sabres PC from a few years ago.

It is who he is (as well as certain of his colleagues).

It is like the old joke about the scorpion and the frog.

At the end of the day, Rex showed a lot more class and respect than these guys deserve.

P.S. I really liked your tweet about La Canfora - "One's music."

I get what you're saying, but just playing devil's advocate here: we're technically not eliminated from the playoffs. We didn't go 0-7 and then started winning games. Being 6-7 in December means we are competitive in the competitive portion of the season (whatever that really means).

Also, objectively looking back on our season so far:

1. We have three upset wins where we weren't favored to win by Vegas: Cards, New England, Cincy. Before anyone goes into the nonsense about the Cards not being good, or NE and their 3rd string QB, I'll gladly bring up each prediction thread on this forum leading up to those games where barely anyone picked us to win, in order to avoid the benefit of hindsight.

2. We have had 2 losses where we were favored to win: Jets and Miami. We could've and should've won both those games and didn't. We may very well miss the playoffs b/c of those two losses.

3. The remainder of our games we either beat the opponent we were expected to beat, or lost vs opponents we were expected to lose against.

In my opinion the season so far has been a bit of a disappointment for the following reasons:

1. The way we lost to Oakland was a major kick in the nuts. It's hard to emotionally recover from losses like that..especially with the playoffs in play.

2. The defense continues to be somewhat of a dumpster fire. When the HC makes his living on being a defensive guru, and yet the defense still isn't functioning properly in year 2, we have a major issue that needs to be directly addressed. If not for his defensive coaching abilities, why else is Rex here then, is my question.

That being said, if we're to be 100% objective, the season for the most part has gone as expected and predicted. So why the mass hysteria by the Bills media and fans?

There are serious questions that need to be asked about our defense and potential QB going forward. Right now I would lean towards keeping Rex as the HC. We keep hearing how players love to play for him. He can continue to be the HC and the face of the Bills. But I'd only be willing to keep him as HC if Whaley is allowed to bring in the DC of his choosing. If Rex is unwilling to accept that, then the Bills should fire Rex. And they would be justified in doing so in my opinion.

Beating NE with its 3rd string QB, who was hampered by a bum thumb, was not an upset. The Cards were thought to be good heading into the season, but have proven over the course of the season to be less than good. So, it was an upset at the time, but in hindsight it wasn't much of an upset at all, particularly since it was at home against a team on Pacific time. Cincinnati is also terrible this year, and that game can not be considered an upset. All in all the schedule this year, which at the start of the year looked fairly imposing, has proven to be much softer than expected. The NFC West has one good team in Seattle (and I'd argue that Bills' best game of the year was their loss to Seattle) one mediocre team in AZ and two complete stiffs. A 9-7 record, all things considered, has to be a disappointment, which is why there is so much hate directed at Rex (well, that and the fact that he's just a dick).

Beating NE with its 3rd string QB, who was hampered by a bum thumb, was not an upset. The Cards were thought to be good heading into the season, but have proven over the course of the season to be less than good. So, it was an upset at the time, but in hindsight it wasn't much of an upset at all, particularly since it was at home against a team on Pacific time. Cincinnati is also terrible this year, and that game can not be considered an upset. All in all the schedule this year, which at the start of the year looked fairly imposing, has proven to be much softer than expected. The NFC West has one good team in Seattle (and I'd argue that Bills' best game of the year was their loss to Seattle) one mediocre team in AZ and two complete stiffs. A 9-7 record, all things considered, has to be a disappointment, which is why there is so much hate directed at Rex (well, that and the fact that he's just a dick).

I dont know why I bother.

I dont know why I bother.

I appreciated it and thought you had some very good points.

Item #2 in your disappointments section is weighing heavier and heavier for me and why I would rather see the Bills move on from Ryan. The continuity argument only works for me if there is some sign of improvement, and the defense is not any better in year 2 under Ryan. If they had even taken a step up to, say, #10-12, I could see it.

So while I don't think 9-7 would be a crushing disappointment, I hope that management will make a realistic assessment of where the team stands, and ask if they have actually improved in any respect from a year ago, or are they just spinning their wheels. I think if you look at it in that way, the case for making a change is pretty strong.