NFL Coaching Hot Seats - Black Monday

26CornerBlitz

I predicted nine last year I think and there were 7... I go San Diego, Indy, New Orleans wrong (predicted them gone and they survived) and Tampa Bay (did not see the Lovie firing coming).

At the moment this year I am predicting six.

San Diego and Indianapolis (the reprieve hasn't worked in either place), LA we already know about, Jacksonville where Bradley is a dead man walking, Chicago where I think they need someone to inject some life into the franchise and that man is not John Fox who has many admirable qualities but being energised and lively is not one of them, and finally Buffalo - where I believe the decision has already been made that Rex Ryan will not be coaching the Bills next season.

The other three that I do not think are totally safe and might be the shock additions to this list are:

Cleveland - I am a fan of Hue Jackson but to be 0-16 (as they might) and keep the Head Coach who led that season you better have absolute faith in your long term plan with him. If there is any doubt at all he won't be back.

San Francisco - The whole situation is a mess, Kelly is not a good NFL Head Coach and at the moment the only thing stopping him from being a sure fire one and done is that their last coach was also a one and done. Him quitting is VERY much in play here.

Cincinnati - Marvin Lewis will not be fired even if the Bengals end 5-10-1, but Lewis deciding the time to walk away and retire is right is not out of the question.

But yet a year ago, can recall reading threads here how Jax made such a smart move in hiring Bradley. And there were multiple threads throughout the year praising Bowles.

Saw this on twitter -

@lateroundQB

Bill Belichick could go 0-16 for 41 consecutive seasons and still have a better winning percentage than Gus Bradley.

This is no exaggeration to make a joke. It is, in fact, 100% real.

That's 668 consecutive losses

I hate to see this. Not because I'm a Rex fan, but because whenever this happens NOBODY good can be talked into coming to BUF. Marv was the exception, but even he didn't bring a great reputation when he started here.

Now that Ralph's gone, maybe Wade would come back? I'd be OK with that.

I hate to see this. Not because I'm a Rex fan, but because whenever this happens NOBODY good can be talked into coming to BUF. Marv was the exception, but even he didn't bring a great reputation when he started here.

Stop with the low self esteem. The Pegulas would be great owners to work for and they spend plenty of money. Rex inherited a ton of talent and blew it. This was a great job.

I predicted nine last year I think and there were 7... I go San Diego, Indy, New Orleans wrong (predicted them gone and they survived) and Tampa Bay (did not see the Lovie firing coming).

San Diego and Indianapolis (the reprieve hasn't worked in either place), LA we already know about, Jacksonville where Bradley is a dead man walking, Chicago where I think they need someone to inject some life into the franchise and that man is not John Fox who has many admirable qualities but being energised and lively is not one of them, and finally Buffalo - where I believe the decision has already been made that Rex Ryan will not be coaching the Bills next season.

The other three that I do not think are totally safe and might be the shock additions to this list are:

Cleveland - I am a fan of Hue Jackson but to be 0-16 (as they might) and keep the Head Coach who led that season you better have absolute faith in your long term plan with him. If there is any doubt at all he won't be back.

San Francisco - The whole situation is a mess, Kelly is not a good NFL Head Coach and at the moment the only thing stopping him from being a sure fire one and done is that their last coach was also a one and done. Him quitting is VERY much in play here.

Cincinnati - Marvin Lewis will not be fired even if the Bengals end 5-10-1, but Lewis deciding the time to walk away and retire is right is not out of the question.

I can't imagine Chip or Marvin quitting. Guys like Petrino and Saban left because they had big time college jobs waiting. Unless Texas A&M fires Sumlin to hire Chip, I don't see him having anywhere else to go. His ego won't allow him to just walk for nothing.

I could see Hue being the fall guy in Cleveland for an 0-16 team. As much as they preach they understand the process, Haslam doesn't seem like the type whose ego would allow him to absorb 0-16 without a fall guy and it's seemed that Hue's been on a different page from their braintrust since day 1. I do wonder if everyone is in lock step on RG3, Hue seems overly convinced, I could see their brain trust being just delusional enough to think they could trade him if he plays 3 good games, but I could also see that being Hue's pet project with other people wanting Kessler to play.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out New Orleans. I don't imagine they fire Payton, but if someone like the Rams came calling offering a draft pick to lure him away, I think the Saints may be more receptive than they've ever been.

There's always a wild card and my nomination is Philly. It doesn't seem like people there are too high on Pederson at this point and if they start 3-0 only to close the season on a 2-11 run and are worried about his development of Wentz, it wouldn't entirely shock me to see them make a move.

Browns management got rid of too many players. This season is on them more than Jackson. Hue should have never taken that gig. He was coach in waiting in Cincinnati.

Rex, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. If they kept him I wouldn't scream, but to me, he is more interested in winning with his system, to prove a point, than he is in just winning period. He needs to change that attitude to be successful and I don't know if he has it in him to humble himself that much.

The Pegula's spend $$$. They will be able to get a good coach. The Bills also have talent on the roster. A lot of young talent too. Edited by purple haze

Rex Ryan has been on the hot seat and will remain on the hot seat until, eventually, the Buffalo Bills dislodge him from it.

Over the course of the season -- from when it kicked off and including when offensive coordinator Greg Roman was fired after Week 2 -- the bull's-eye has been on Ryan, and it won't leave him until he leaves Buffalo.

The widespread belief in league circles is that the Bills will make a head-coaching change after the regular season ends, if not shortly before then. If it does happen, Buffalo would be moving on to its sixth head coach -- sixth! -- since 2009. It didn't work out for Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone or Ryan.

While Ryan's job is in trouble, Bills sources say general manager Doug Whaley is safe, which means he will have a hand in hiring his third head coach. It also means the end of this season is shaping up as a fitting end to Ryan's time in Buffalo. Should he survive until the last game of the regular season, Ryan's coaching career in Buffalo, and quite possibly in the NFL, could end at MetLife Stadium, against the New York Jets team he used to coach, on New Year's Day.

-- Adam Schefter

The product on the field is so painfully boring that threads like this are the cats meow. All the rage.

1) Do you guys actually care what nfl employees are on the hot seat ?

If so, and your person gets let go.......what will it mean a month from now?

Seriously, who cares who gets fired ? What does it matter? Is your life better when someone you will never know and has no effect on your well being gets fired ?

Pathetic.

Edited by jaybee

It's gonna be a tough sell for any solid HC to want to come to Buffalo with the way the org is structured. People talk and the others in the NFL knew all about Ralph Wilson and few wanted to work for him. People in the NFL have to know what happened with Marrone walking away (which is unheard of)and GM Doug Whaley not doing the hiring along with the new owners making the first head coach hire.

Gonna be interesting if they fire Rex and then can't find someone else better.

I'd be in for hiring Wade Phillips too.

Yet he has won 10 games in a season which the Bills haven't done since 1999.

Id love it if they retained him. He fell ass backwards into 10 wins, and his in-game adjustments and decisions might somehow be worse than Rex. Unfortunately, he'll be out of a job come January.

• 2 weeks later...