If Garoppolo is available for trade, would ya and for what?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB was a young man when he traded Bledsoe to the Bills. He still had something to prove to himself, his team, and the league. The trade was thought out, and he rolled the dice that the Bills would screw it up, which they eventually did.

Now, BB has much more ego. It's only naturally for men of great power and prestige to underestimate his opponents, and be blinded by his own greatness. He could think, "Who cares, the Bills would screw it up again, even if I send them Tom." So I wouldn't just write off Grap just because BB is willing to send him west. Make Darth Vader pay for his mistakes!!

First, he is Emperor Palpatine lmao

Second What would make the situation any different than with Bledsoe? It isn't like the Bills are a player away from greatness. (Like say Houston)

BB was a young man when he traded Bledsoe to the Bills. He still had something to prove to himself, his team, and the league. The trade was thought out, and he rolled the dice that the Bills would screw it up, which they eventually did.

Now, BB has much more ego. It's only naturally for men of great power and prestige to underestimate his opponents, and be blinded by his own greatness. He could think, "Who cares, the Bills would screw it up again, even if I send them Tom." So I wouldn't just write off Grap just because BB is willing to send him west. Make Darth Vader pay for his mistakes!!

Wow that post was like being in Whaley's mind and being witness to his thought process as he talks himself into another stupid move with a first round draft choice.

Let me ask a question:

Brady will be 40 before the next NFL season starts. Its inevitable that his career is winding down in the next 1 to 2 years. So here is my question:

Why would the Patriots, a team that never over commits to an aging player even when still playing at an elite level, trade Jimmy to a division rival if they felt he was capable of being a quality starter or better in the NFL given Brady will be 40 before the next season begins?

I mean seriously think about that and you will realize there is either no chance we can trade for him or if he is available that means that BB and Pats FO don't think he has much of a future which would make trading for him seem pretty reckless by the Buffalo Bills and an easy pass unless he could be had for very cheap, something also not likely.

Move on, nothing to see here in this trade scenario. Wont happen...and if by some chance it could, then stay away unless it costs us nothing of any significant value like a low round draft pick...something also very unlikely.

Next year Garop will be in his free agent year. Even if Brady declines a little he still probably has at least two to three good years. What will it take to keep Garop as an insurance policy at qb? I doubt that BB would franchise the backup. If Garop believes that he can be a starter with another team in another year he will be in a position to force the organization to trade him or lose him for nothing.

The Pats under BB are a very calculating organization. They also are very a courageous organization in the sense that they are not afraid to release or trade talent, as demonstrated by the LB Collins deal.

The issue over a Garop deal is more than what the Pats what to do; it also comes down to what does Garop wants to do. If he wants to start sooner rather than later he does have leverage in a possible move or not. The point being that it is not a one sided decision because both parties have a say as to how and whether a deal gets done with Buffalo or more likely with another team.

I would with no hesitation give up a first round pick and possibly more to acquire him if there is a deal on the table.

Next year Garop will be in his free agent year. Even if Brady declines a little he still probably has at least two to three good years. What will it take to keep Garop as an insurance policy at qb? I doubt that BB would franchise the backup. If Garop believes that he can be a starter with another team in another year he will be in a position to force the organization to trade him or lose him for nothing.

The Pats under BB are a very calculating organization. They also are very a courageous organization in the sense that they are not afraid to release or trade talent, as demonstrated by the LB Collins deal.

The issue over a Garop deal is more than what the Pats what to do; it also comes down to what does Garop wants to do. If he wants to start sooner rather than later he does have leverage in a possible move or not. The point being that it is not a one sided decision because both parties have a say as to how and whether a deal gets done with Buffalo or more likely with another team.

I would with no hesitation give up a first round pick and possibly more to acquire him if there is a deal on the table.

Jimmy is still under contract next year, so there is no rush to trade him. To say a 40 year old QB has at least 2 to 3 good years left is overly optimistic. Manning looked epic the year before he started going down the tubes, it is usually a sudden change, not a gradual one you can plan for. Are the Pats going to trade the guy they see as their future on a very long shot bet that both Brady can play at a high level until he is 43 and also find their future QB to take over in the next year or two?

Like you said, Pats are very calculating, and the argument about that actually makes a stronger case that they would not gamble on Brady being the first to accomplish that and rather move on from Brady when he is 41 years old and hand the keys to Jimmy instead.

But lets entertain your thought for a moment and assume they feel comfortable Brady will be the QB another 3 years and they are willing to trade Jimmy. If they feel Jimmy has got a bright future, why on Earth would they trade him to the Bills, especially with no QB of the future on their roster anymore? There are MANY QB needy teams outside the AFC East that would want Jimmy if NE was to offer him up because desperate teams will gamble on small sample sizes when it comes to QB's all the time, and Jimmy's sample size was small but impressive. So, they would have many suitors for a trade involving Jimmy, so I can't see any reason they would entertain a Bills offer if they had any faith in him being a good QB in the NFL for years to come.

This situation has already happened in NE. They had Bledsoe who had in recent years signed a "Lifetime Contract" as it was called back then that essentially assured he would be the QB until he retired. Then the injury happened and Brady came in and they sent Bledsoe packing despite still being seen as a QB with at least a few good years in him that they previously committed to. They chose youth over those last couple of good years and sent a guy they knew wouldn't play much longer to a divisional team. I honestly think if they feel strongly about Jimmy, they would trade Brady before they would trade Jimmy and they have proven that many times over the years that they are not afraid to cut ties with a high level player at the end of his career.

Bottom line is, I just can't see NE letting Jimmy out of there if they feel he is their future...not even for a 41 year old Tom Brady (which is how old Tom will be going into that season where Jimmy would have been a FA). And they can also just franchise Jimmy one more year too, something they have proven they are not afraid of doing. And if they are willing to, I think it puts a ton of red flags on him and he could just be another Matt Cassel.

PS: Lets assume Jimmy is still there after next season as a FA. Brady will be 41 when that season begins. If Pats see him as the future, they could easily just tell him this is Brady's last season...resign here and you get the keys to the kingdom the next year. I just can't see Jimmy passing up being the man in NE with BB and that organization to go sign a FA deal with some crap team like the Browns, Niners, Jax, etc even if it means waiting one more season. He will make more money in his career being in a place he can win, why would he want to risk setting himself up to fail rather than play for the best coach and one of the best run organizations in all of sports?

Pats just brought up Jacoby Brissett.

any one think he is the heir (for now) over Jimmy ?

The contract for Tyrod, if the same offer is on the table? Bills are going to pick it up and keep drafting for two years. Not trade a high pick away for Garrfolo.
Looks like we have another exciting Off season in the works with all the good FAs coming up for contracts and the QB issue.

Exciting times my friends B-)

I can not stand the thought of being hoodwinked by the Patriots. "You want to send us Brady for a 7th in 2020? Why? What's wrong with him?" I gets mental at some point. (Boy, doesn't that beg for pot shots!)

You cannot live in fear....if he is talented he is talented.

IF the plan is to not pick up Tyrod's option we need a viable alternative......this might be it if the pats would really let him go.

You cannot live in fear....if he is talented he is talented.

IF the plan is to not pick up Tyrod's option we need a viable alternative......this might be it if the pats would really let him go.

He may be talented. He played well in his almost a game and a half of action. But it was against 2 bad teams and he couldn't be gen make it through 2 games. He's got nowhere near the body of work to deserve giving up a 1st or even 2nd round pick, much less to a division rival, much much less for the $18M/year he'll want.

Jimmy is still under contract next year, so there is no rush to trade him. To say a 40 year old QB has at least 2 to 3 good years left is overly optimistic. Manning looked epic the year before he started going down the tubes, it is usually a sudden change, not a gradual one you can plan for. Are the Pats going to trade the guy they see as their future on a very long shot bet that both Brady can play at a high level until he is 43 and also find their future QB to take over in the next year or two?

Like you said, Pats are very calculating, and the argument about that actually makes a stronger case that they would not gamble on Brady being the first to accomplish that and rather move on from Brady when he is 41 years old and hand the keys to Jimmy instead.

But lets entertain your thought for a moment and assume they feel comfortable Brady will be the QB another 3 years and they are willing to trade Jimmy. If they feel Jimmy has got a bright future, why on Earth would they trade him to the Bills, especially with no QB of the future on their roster anymore? There are MANY QB needy teams outside the AFC East that would want Jimmy if NE was to offer him up because desperate teams will gamble on small sample sizes when it comes to QB's all the time, and Jimmy's sample size was small but impressive. So, they would have many suitors for a trade involving Jimmy, so I can't see any reason they would entertain a Bills offer if they had any faith in him being a good QB in the NFL for years to come.

This situation has already happened in NE. They had Bledsoe who had in recent years signed a "Lifetime Contract" as it was called back then that essentially assured he would be the QB until he retired. Then the injury happened and Brady came in and they sent Bledsoe packing despite still being seen as a QB with at least a few good years in him that they previously committed to. They chose youth over those last couple of good years and sent a guy they knew wouldn't play much longer to a divisional team. I honestly think if they feel strongly about Jimmy, they would trade Brady before they would trade Jimmy and they have proven that many times over the years that they are not afraid to cut ties with a high level player at the end of his career.

Bottom line is, I just can't see NE letting Jimmy out of there if they feel he is their future...not even for a 41 year old Tom Brady (which is how old Tom will be going into that season where Jimmy would have been a FA). And they can also just franchise Jimmy one more year too, something they have proven they are not afraid of doing. And if they are willing to, I think it puts a ton of red flags on him and he could just be another Matt Cassel.

PS: Lets assume Jimmy is still there after next season as a FA. Brady will be 41 when that season begins. If Pats see him as the future, they could easily just tell him this is Brady's last season...resign here and you get the keys to the kingdom the next year. I just can't see Jimmy passing up being the man in NE with BB and that organization to go sign a FA deal with some crap team like the Browns, Niners, Jax, etc even if it means waiting one more season. He will make more money in his career being in a place he can win, why would he want to risk setting himself up to fail rather than play for the best coach and one of the best run organizations in all of sports?

I'm responding to the highlighted segment in your post. BB would have no hesitation of trading Garop to the Bills if they made the highest offer. He certainly isn't going to fear this ramshackle organization that he has beaten at least 90% of the time in his long career because of a qb trade. BB has one consideration and it has little to do with how it impacts that puny franchise in western NY: Is it the right thing to do for his organization? His worry in any trade is not whether it makes the other guy more formidable it is basically is it the right thing to do for his team

I would stop worrying about a QB. It's like pulling the handle on a slot machine and thinking it matters you really really want to hit.

I think there's a lot of truth in this. I do think situation (coaching and the players around them) matters just as much as the QB's talent. If you look at the young QBs who've succeeded in the league, they've been put in a position to do so with protection in front of them, consistent coaching and targets to help bail them out.

That being said, outside of improvements at WR and the correct coach, I do think we have a lot of pieces in place to allow a QB to succeed. Part of the reason my ideal coach/QB is McDaniels & Jimmy G. together.

He may be talented. He played well in his almost a game and a half of action. But it was against 2 bad teams and he couldn't be gen make it through 2 games. He's got nowhere near the body of work to deserve giving up a 1st or even 2nd round pick, much less to a division rival, much much less for the $18M/year he'll want.

Miami right now is a playoff team, and has a winning record. AZ was his first ever start and was on the road against a damn good D. (Everyone was saying at the time it was a sure L for the Pats.

I'm really Leary of trading for a guy with so little starting experience. As mentioned before, Rob Johnson, Matt Cassell, Brock, and so on. I honest opinion is we don't have a lot of good options.

You are right, there are not very many good options at all. I would like to see either A) trading a high pick for Jimmy G. or B) using our high picks to beef up the line and WR, sign a vet placeholder like Hoyer and take a mid round QB, hoping that if the pieces are good enough around them we can get the next "Dak" between Cardale and the rookie.

I think there's a lot of truth in this. I do think situation (coaching and the players around them) matters just as much as the QB's talent. If you look at the young QBs who've succeeded in the league, they've been put in a position to do so with protection in front of them, consistent coaching and targets to help bail them out.

That being said, outside of improvements at WR and the correct coach, I do think we have a lot of pieces in place to allow a QB to succeed. Part of the reason my ideal coach/QB is McDaniels & Jimmy G. together.

McDaniels is not going anywhere without BB blessing, he seen what happens to those who leave without his blessing.. they are never heard from again. Also whispers up here is he is being groomed take over for BB ashen he retires. That would be so Steeler like of the Krafts lol.

Miami right now is a playoff team, and has a winning record. AZ was his first ever start and was on the road against a damn good D. (Everyone was saying at the time it was a sure L for the Pats.

I can see some hesitation in labeling him a "system QB", but I think every QB in the league is a "system QB" for the most part. You aren't going to put Brady in a zone read or an offensive heavily dependent on the deep ball and you aren't going to put Cam in an offense dependent on quick reads and getting the ball out. But offenses need the personnel to fit the system of the QB, which is my chief concern with our coaching and organization. I think Tyrod would have a chance to look dramatically better if he had a "Mike Evans" type big WR who can make plays down the field and gives him a bigger target to see (and I know we made the Sammy pick before Tyrod was the QB) but he's surrounded by WRs who fit a quick read offense much better, Tyrod can't make the quick reads (and we don't call plays that allow for it) and our guys struggle to beat coverage, causing him to eat the ball or throw into traffic.

You can't have a WR corp suited for slants and bubble screens and try to run a vertical offense any more than you can have a scat back RB and try to be a power running team. Both on offense and defense we have a coaching staff that's inflexible to putting the personnel in the best position to succeed. That failure can fall on the personnel guy's inability to select the right personnel or it can fall on the coaching staff's inability to vary their schemes, either way it's the creek we've found ourselves in without a paddle.

I think we'll know what the Pats think of their backup quarterbacks by how much playing time they get over the next two games. They have the Jets and then Miami. My guess is the Jets will be getting blown out and leaving the door open for them to bring one of them in. They could have home field locked up before the Miami game meaning they could sit Brady (and blow any chances we might possibly have left of the playoffs by letting Miami win). If Brissett sees the field then I'd think that means Jenine is hitting the market. There is really only a game and a half of tape on Garoppolo and he didn't stay healthy. I'd be wary to say he is going to step into a starting role and blow Tyrod's performances out to the water.

Edited by Bills Fan in Beantown