Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Thanks to y'all, I got an Anova for Christmas! w00t!

Its maiden voyage shall be with steaks during the Hokies' bowl game this Thursday.

I couldn't find the original SEAR/sous vide thread, but I'll have to go back through the advice in this thread, and I think I'll go through that seriouseats guide as well.

That's what I was thinking. That is a big piece of meat; even if you get half a roast. But I really want to try this; I have had a really hard time cooking a prime rib roast a traditional way.

Google prime Rib X Method. It comes out perfect every time.

My son (who checks out this board as well) just pulled his out from under the tree. The extra beef tenderloin later today will be prepared and given to him to take home and freeze until he's ready for them. I've never given steaks for Christmas before! My brother-in-law called early today with an urgent help request. It's catching on!

Indeed. Santa gave wifey & me one for Christmas! :thumbsup:

I am thinking of trying this, but using ziplock bags (not getting a vacuum sealer, at least yet). Any concerns?

Serious question. If you buy meat that is vacuum sealed by the grocery chain - can you use that to cook in or would the plastic wrap they use fumigate the meat during sous vide?

That's what I was thinking. That is a big piece of meat; even if you get half a roast. But I really want to try this; I have had a really hard time cooking a prime rib roast a traditional way.

Last year we had a thread about Christmas dinner and there was a lot of talk about doing Prime Rib. Low and slow in the oven to get it uniformly within 5 degrees of doneness, then taking it out for a rest while you crank up the oven to do the sear. It's very much like the sous vide process, but without the water. :o

Indeed. Santa gave wifey & me one for Christmas! :thumbsup:

Serious question. If you buy meat that is vacuum sealed by the grocery chain - can you use that to cook in or would the plastic wrap they use fumigate the meat during sous vide?

Last year we had a thread about Christmas dinner and there was a lot of talk about doing Prime Rib. Low and slow in the oven to get it uniformly within 5 degrees of doneness, then taking it out for a rest while you crank up the oven to do the sear. It's very much like the sous vide process, but without the water. :o

even if the plastic it came in was able to be used - your meat would be unseasoned. id say skip the short cut and not even worry about the risk.

Does anyone have advice using these SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches? I got the Anova and a pack of these quart-sized pouches and some gallon-sized pouches.

The reviews on Amazon seem quite mixed, so I'm concerned. I guess the intent of these bags is to lower the bag into the water until all the air is out, and then zip it up. Some posters on here described this method.

Is there any concern over this method working or not? Are these bags any better than just doubling up some way-cheaper ziploc bags?

Does anyone have advice using these SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches? I got the Anova and a pack of these quart-sized pouches and some gallon-sized pouches.

The reviews on Amazon seem quite mixed, so I'm concerned. I guess the intent of these bags is to lower the bag into the water until all the air is out, and then zip it up. Some posters on here described this method.

Is there any concern over this method working or not? Are these bags any better than just doubling up some way-cheaper ziploc bags?

The water immersion method works fine- I don't know those bags in particular but water immersion is perfectly good

If they're selling you a bag that is used for the water immersion method (lower the bag into the water to remove the air), then it's like like buying a can of air. Any Ziploc-like bag that is BPA free will do the same thing.

The water immersion method works fine- I don't know those bags in particular but water immersion is perfectly good

I occasionally had air bubbles that caused the bags to float up and I got concerned about uneven cooking. It did work just fine but I saw an interesting technique where you push most air out of the bag then zip closed all except a small area at the end big enough for a straw - then suck remaining air out with straw. I've never tried it, but it seemed interesting. (I broke down and got a vacuum sealer.)

I got the Joule for Christmas. We are in Buffalo for Christmas and New Years so I have not used it yet. (We live in Miami). Chef Steps has a pretty cool website with recipes.

For you sous vide experts: If I want to cook for a family of four (for example), should i put four steaks (chicken breasts, chops, filets etc.) in four separate bags or can I combine?

I also have a Big Green Egg. I anticipate finishing steaks etc on the Egg (unless the weather is crappy).

I got the Joule for Christmas. We are in Buffalo for Christmas and New Years so I have not used it yet. (We live in Miami). Chef Steps has a pretty cool website with recipes.

For you sous vide experts: If I want to cook for a family of four (for example), should i put four steaks (chicken breasts, chops, filets etc.) in four separate bags or can I combine?

I also have a Big Green Egg. I anticipate finishing steaks etc on the Egg (unless the weather is crappy).

I have an Egg to....but don't anticipate using it for searing. I think better method if you want smoke taste is on top of full and lit chimney starter.

Edited by plenzmd1

You can do either. I did 4 steaks last weekend and did 2 and 2 in a couple bags. It was just easiest. I like enough room that they don't touch, but not sure if that even matters. To get 4 steaks in one bag with enough room would take a big bag, but I think you're fine either way. Just be sure to pat dry before searing so you get a good sear.