Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

NY Strip on sale 5.99 this week. I am making Sous Vide Strip with a fish sauce, mirin, maple syrup marinade now. 90 minutes at 128 degrees

I used to love grilling NY Strips years ago, but got worn down by wife and kids who prefer tenderloin every time. We don't do a ton of red meat, so when we do it that's what they're looking for. I wonder if I could win them back this way..... sounds interesting.

Did a rib roast couple of weeks ago...i think the hotter you can get the oven the better. I went with paste of garlic, rosemary and thyme...broil for the sear ( i have 3 broil settings, went the middle and middle rack position(hehe, i said rack), watched very closely and it came out great!

I think I'm going to try my torch with it. I've only used the torch once with mixed results because I set off the smoke alarm and had to stop before it was done.

I used to love grilling NY Strips years ago, but got worn down by wife and kids who prefer tenderloin every time. We don't do a ton of red meat, so when we do it that's what they're looking for. I wonder if I could win them back this way..... sounds interesting.

Everyone prefers the tenderloin when they don't have to pay for it. :D

I would urge you to try this recipe and see how it flies with the family. I was intrigued by the idea of taking a cheaper cut like a chuck roast and sous vide'ing it into submission, and damn, all three of us fell in love with this recipe, where you pre-sear before vacuum sealing.

Two notes:

(1) I went a bit overboard with the rub for the crust; too much salt. Less is more.

(2) The recipe said 18 hours, but I went for 30 hours at 130 degrees, and the meat came out unbelievably tender. Make the gravy from the drippings, put a side of mashed potatoes, and presto. I think my cut was 6 pounds, and we had amazing roast beef sandwiches for the rest of the week.

Everyone prefers the tenderloin when they don't have to pay for it. :D

I would urge you to try this recipe and see how it flies with the family. I was intrigued by the idea of taking a cheaper cut like a chuck roast and sous vide'ing it into submission, and damn, all three of us fell in love with this recipe, where you pre-sear before vacuum sealing.

Two notes:

(1) I went a bit overboard with the rub for the crust; too much salt. Less is more.

(2) The recipe said 18 hours, but I went for 30 hours at 130 degrees, and the meat came out unbelievably tender. Make the gravy from the drippings, put a side of mashed potatoes, and presto. I think my cut was 6 pounds, and we had amazing roast beef sandwiches for the rest of the week.

I don't care if I never eat filet again. Ribeye all day, every day.

We were in Vegas a few years ago and went to a Smith & Wollensky joint. I'd been there in NYC and thought it would be great. The server suggested a cut with great marbling and all the flavor, so I ordered a big hunk of fatty, chewy steak that was almost inedible. They work with a team of servers. After he came back to ask how i liked it, I never saw him again. Glad my wife had the big old tenderloin enough for two. I'm not fat or flavor averse, but that was not a good piece of meat.

A friend gave me a venison backstrap and I'm excited to try it in the sous vide tonight. It's marinating in State Fair Spiedie sauce and I plan on seating it in the cast iron pan after the soak. I'm thinking about 1.5 hours at 131 degrees. I like it medium rare and nice and deep red in the middle. Has anyone else tried venison in the sous vide?

Edited by chknwing334

We were in Vegas a few years ago and went to a Smith & Wollensky joint. I'd been there in NYC and thought it would be great. The server suggested a cut with great marbling and all the flavor, so I ordered a big hunk of fatty, chewy steak that was almost inedible. They work with a team of servers. After he came back to ask how i liked it, I never saw him again. Glad my wife had the big old tenderloin enough for two. I'm not fat or flavor averse, but that was not a good piece of meat.

Smith and Wollensky in NYC is one of the finest steaks I have ever had. There were beautiful dry aged steaks on display. Some of those high end Vegas restaurants are not on par with the originals

I'm excited but the size of the group we are starting to have

Just saw this. Have goumina and have been using it for about a year. Best thing so far is I smoked a waygu brisket for 4 hours and finished it for 8 hours sousvide then torched it to get a crust. UNBilliveable

I'm excited but the size of the group we are starting to have

My son (who checks out this board as well) just pulled his out from under the tree. The extra beef tenderloin later today will be prepared and given to him to take home and freeze until he's ready for them. I've never given steaks for Christmas before! My brother-in-law called early today with an urgent help request. It's catching on!