Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

The first law of spousal gift giving. If you don't get what you want - you go get what you want. :ph34r:

She just mentioned that she's craving prime rib (which I think is disgusting). BAM ... another segue into how the Avana would come in handy. I'm feeling good about this.

A few questions?

(1) Where do you guys go for recipes? I have some Chef Steps recipes on the Joule app, but I was wondering if there were other sources that you guys like.

(2) What do you look for in pre-packed food to confirm that it is ok to cook in that plastic?

(3) Are there any particular food items that you like in which you find the original plastic package is safe to cook in?

(4) Which brand of sous vide bags do you recommend (for those times when the Ziplock bags are not appropriate)?

Thanks guys for all of the help and advice.

Stepping on the scale this morning was an eye-opener. Apparently I've been having great holiday fun! Now looking into sous vide veggie recipes. :(

You and me both brother . . . ugh.

A few questions?

(1) Where do you guys go for recipes? I have some Chef Steps recipes on the Joule app, but I was wondering if there were other sources that you guys like.

(2) What do you look for in pre-packed food to confirm that it is ok to cook in that plastic?

(3) Are there any particular food items that you like in which you find the original plastic package is safe to cook in?

(4) Which brand of sous vide bags do you recommend (for those times when the Ziplock bags are not appropriate)?

I get almost all recipes (and 100% sous vide) off the internet. Chef Steps and Serious Eats seem like pretty good sources. I don't know what is in some bags that makes them unsafe to cook in, or how to tell if it's safe, so I have never done it. With a vacuum sealer it's no big deal to get ready. I prefer cutting bags from a 11" x 50' roll because it gives the best size versatility. The brand I use is Weston and it's about $25/roll.

A few questions?

Will try to expound later when I have more time, but when it comes to bags, the warning is that the bags must be BPA free, and that's not always the case if you buy something pre-packaged.

Otherwise, I use my FoodSaver so much, I just buy those bags, usually priced well at Costco. I tried a copycat bag and it never worked right.

I get almost all recipes (and 100% sous vide) off the internet. Chef Steps and Serious Eats seem like pretty good sources. I don't know what is in some bags that makes them unsafe to cook in, or how to tell if it's safe, so I have never done it. With a vacuum sealer it's no big deal to get ready. I prefer cutting bags from a 11" x 50' roll because it gives the best size versatility. The brand I use is Weston and it's about $25/roll.

Will try to expound later when I have more time, but when it comes to bags, the warning is that the bags must be BPA free, and that's not always the case if you buy something pre-packaged.

Otherwise, I use my FoodSaver so much, I just buy those bags, usually priced well at Costco. I tried a copycat bag and it never worked right.

Thanks guys!

My son took his XMas Anova on it's virgin journey last night with extra beef tenderloin we prepped and froze for him that day. He called me to walk thru it, used hot tap water to save time, got the water level right, set the temp, etc. I should have mentioned you have to turn it ON. He ended up having a very late dinner after figuring that part out.

You can download the Anova app which has a lot of recipes. They link to your Anova device. But if you don't have one, it's not that big a deal... they tell you the temp and time, and the finishing instructions within the recipes. They have a bunch of recipes.

SALUTE! To all who have contributed to this thread and the the elevation of the level of cooking in America! [withpropstojuliachildwhodivertedamericafromprocessedtvdinnerstorealcookingohsomanyyearsago]:worthy:

A few questions?

I like serious eats, he usually experiments with a few different temps for each recipe so you can shoot for what you like best.

http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101

I like serious eats, he usually experiments with a few different temps for each recipe so you can shoot for what you like best.

this and the others mentioned are all good and honestly, if all else fails or info is limited and you like to look at a few recipes to get ideas and then freelance from there simply googling "sous vide whatever ingredient or dish" is starting to yield A LOT more results these days (not shocking considering how many of you goons are getting on board with this)

this and the others mentioned are all good and honestly, if all else fails or info is limited and you like to look at a few recipes to get ideas and then freelance from there simply googling "sous vide whatever ingredient or dish" is starting to yield A LOT more results these days (not shocking considering how many of you goons are getting on board with this)

Thank you again guys!

This is how sous vide has changed my shopping habits. Was just at the Kroger and they had half Rib Roasts on sale for $5.99 lb. Granted they were boneless and i prefer bone in, but for that price I good. Original price was close to $95, I purchased for less $55 :thumbsup:

I will cut in half to make one roast, and the rest cut into steaks ...season, vacuum seal, into the freezer ready to use when I am ready!

Working on my maiden voyage right now.

Trying to keep it simple and doing a batch of carrots at 185 for an hour but am having trouble maintaining that temp with real consistency. (Anova in a 2/3 full stock pot)

Will be following that up shortly with a batch of of chicken thighs at 165 for an hour cuz I figure even I can't foul fowl up chicken thighs.

Any tips on how to keep that temp up in my current configuration?

Working on my maiden voyage right now.

Trying to keep it simple and doing a batch of carrots at 185 for an hour but am having trouble maintaining that temp with real consistency. (Anova in a 2/3 full stock pot)

Will be following that up shortly with a batch of of chicken thighs at 165 for an hour cuz I figure even I can't foul fowl up chicken thighs.

Any tips on how to keep that temp up in my current configuration?

Mine was able to hold the temp. Different size pots? Try covering the top with foil or glad wrap to keep heat in.

Mine was able to hold the temp. Different size pots? Try covering the top with foil or glad wrap to keep heat in.

I did put some foil over it and that helped in very short order. I got a bad vac seal on the carrots the first time and ended up resealing with water displacement, then switching to a bigger pot and fussing around like a rookie; I'm guessing maybe that dropped my temp and created a seat of the pants situation that it took a while to fully recover from. Live and learn.....

Thanks for the tip!

I have what may be a stupid question: If you cook in a Ziplock or any other bag, does the bag have to be sealed or does that not make any difference as long as the bag is submerged and clipped to the pot or other water container?

Edited by Peter