Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

And this is why we start with some carrots and not a $100 tenderloin! :)

That's a bingo!

Results from the first go round were disappointing.

Carrots were slightly undercooked, but that is certainly user error resulting from my own bumbling about.

Chicken was very juicy with a nice sear but was very bland; I had to put some remoulade on the side.

I can figure out the carrots but I could use some destructive criticism on the chicken:

I rubbed the thighs (the chicken thighs, you pigs) with some Montreal chicken seasoning, vacuum sealed them and dunked them within the hour.

165 for about an hour, then a quick sear in oliveoil&butter when they came out.

Should I have left them in the vac bag overnight before cooking them?

Should I add more seasoning after drying them and before searing them?

Also, when I initially took them out of the vac bag after cooking there was probably about 2-3oz of liquid in each of the two bags (3 thighs per bag). They were already fully thawed when I sealed them up so I question whether that should have happened and wonder whether I need a better vacuum sealer?

I would definitely be sure the bag is sealed, but what do I know?

I have what may be a stupid question: If you cook in a Ziplock or any other bag, does the bag have to be sealed or does that not make any difference as long as the bag is submerged and clipped to the pot or other water container?

I would definitely be sure the bag is sealed, but what do I know? At the very least you remove to possibility of water getting into the bag.

That's a bingo!

Carrots were slightly undercooked, but that is certainly user error resulting from my own bumbling about.

Chicken was very juicy with a nice sear but was very bland; I had to put some remoulade on the side.

I can figure out the carrots but I could use some destructive criticism on the chicken:

I rubbed the thighs (the chicken thighs, you pigs) with some Montreal chicken seasoning, vacuum sealed them and dunked them within the hour.

Also, when I initially took them out of the vac bag after cooking there was probably about 2-3oz of liquid in each of the two bags (3 thighs per bag). They were already fully thawed when I sealed them up so I question whether that should have happened and wonder whether I need a better vacuum sealer?

I pat dry then re-season before searing. Most of your flavor is probably in all that juice you mentioned which is normal. I'll often use that juice in a sauce.

That's a bingo!

I a rookie at all this too, and have not done the thighs yet. Having said that, I would take that liquid, which should have come from the thighs, add it to the fond in the pan you used to sear...and add some vermouth, fresh sage, and a little bit of low sodium stock. Reduce by half, and you will have a decent pan sauce.

And i have not done yet, but think someone on here said to absolutely re-season after the drying and before the sear.

BTW, has anyone used a hair dryer to try and get the meat as absolutely dry as possible?

Working on my maiden voyage right now.

Trying to keep it simple and doing a batch of carrots at 185 for an hour but am having trouble maintaining that temp with real consistency. (Anova in a 2/3 full stock pot)

Will be following that up shortly with a batch of of chicken thighs at 165 for an hour cuz I figure even I can't foul fowl up chicken thighs.

Any tips on how to keep that temp up in my current configuration?

First, I'm not sure why you're seeing a fluxuation in temperature. Once it hits it target, it shouldn't change more than a degree one way or another.

When it comes to chicken, in particular breasts, this website really breaks it down to what temperature and how long, all based on what you want to do with the chicken (i.e., cold chicken salad or hot meal). I turn to it regularly.

First, I'm not sure why you're seeing a fluxuation in temperature. Once it hits it target, it shouldn't change more than a degree one way or another.

When it comes to chicken, in particular breasts, this website really breaks it down to what temperature and how long, all based on what you want to do with the chicken (i.e., cold chicken salad or hot meal). I turn to it regularly.

The fluctuating temp very much surprised me. Never heard of that unless I'm misunderstanding what happened.

Definitely re season before searing- you don't particularly have anything holding on the first round which comes off in liquid and when patting dry.

Definitely re season before searing- you don't particularly have anything holding on the first round which comes off in liquid and when patting dry.

Most of the time, I don't bother with any seasoning pre-sous vide. Maybe a sprig of thyme or rosemary, but I always let steak stand on its own (slab of butter after the sear, and maybe mushrooms on the side), and chicken/pork get tied to a sauce when it comes out of the bag. I may throw a slice of lemon and garlic salt in the bag if I'm doing a lemon pepper thing, but otherwise, sous vide is sort of the fluffer of the kitchen.

Thanks for all the feedback, gents. The heating issue was weird; when it got up in the 175-180 range is would go up a couple degree and drop back one, then go up two and drop back one. But once I put some foil over and got it to 185, it stayed there with no problems. Maybe the Anova was working out some kinks with its first use, maybe I was blocking some flow in an inconveniently thin stock pot, who knows. My guess was it was me being a dumbass rookie.

I've got a topround/londonbroil and some fat pork chops coming around next. Anybody ever actually stuff a pork chop before doing it sous vide? Wondering if it will make a gooey mess or turn out great........

I've got a topround/londonbroil and some fat pork chops coming around next. Anybody ever actually stuff a pork chop before doing it sous vide? Wondering if it will make a gooey mess or turn out great........

I've done thick-cut bone-in porkchops, and was surprised I didn't get better results. They've always been better if I brine them for 24 hours first, then grill them, but I've never brine them before sous vide bath, so maybe I'll give that a try next because it's one of the better values where I get my meat.

Using sous vide for stuffed meat never dawned on me, but I suppose it would be okay.

You should give burgers a try, but grind your own beef from brisket.

Edited by LABillzFan

I've done thick-cut bone-in porkchops, and was surprised I didn't get better results. They've always been better if I brine them for 24 hours first, then grill them, but I've never brine them before sous vide bath, so maybe I'll give that a try next because it's one of the better values where I get my meat.

Using sous vide for stuffed meat never dawned on me, but I suppose it would be okay.

You should give burgers a try, but grind your own beef from brisket.

Interesting, I wasn't overwhelmed with my bone in chops either. I thought next time I'd lower the temp a little, but maybe a brine is the key (or both?). Edited by Augie

Interesting, I wasn't overwhelmed with my bone in chops either. I thought next time I'd lower the temp a little, but maybe a brine is the key (or both?).

I'm going to brine some tonight for supper tomorrow; was planning on cooking them at a shade over 140.

What temps did you guys use that left you underwhelmed?

I'm going to brine some tonight for supper tomorrow; was planning on cooking them at a shade over 140.

Sorry, I don't remember, but I think it was a little high as the chop was slightly tough, exactly what I was trying to avoid. I'd love to hear from others. Wife doesn't love chops so I do them when she's traveling.

That's a bingo!

Little OT, but braised chicken thighs last night that were awesome. I don't go to Whole Foods often, but it is the only place I buy chicken(outside of wings) as they are the only store that carries air chilled chicken...both their own brand and Bell and Evans.

Bought the Bell and Evans yesterday, and the difference between air chilled and water processed birds is dramatic to me. Spend the extra $ ....you will notice the difference as well.

http://www.organicauthority.com/air-chilled-chicken-vs-water-chilled-chicken-whats-the-difference/

Pork chops I bring to 140. I suspect the challenge with mine was that I was doing 2 1/2" - 3" thick bone in, but would only do them for three to four hours. I suspect they need closer to 24 hours to really break down.

This site has some pretty decent charts for meat, like this.

Incidentally, I did this recipe last weekend, and while I need to adjust the crust (too much salt for me), damn if it didn't make an amazing meal, with lots of leftovers for sammiches.

Pork chops I bring to 140. I suspect the challenge with mine was that I was doing 2 1/2" - 3" thick bone in, but would only do them for three to four hours. I suspect they need closer to 24 hours to really break down.

This site has some pretty decent charts for meat, like this.

Incidentally, I did this recipe last weekend, and while I need to adjust the crust (too much salt for me), damn if it didn't make an amazing meal, with lots of leftovers for sammiches.

so weird, i think of having to do a chuck roast till it grey and and all broken down...what temp did you use and how long? BTW, just took a chuck out of the freezer and will be doing this for Sunday dinner

so weird, i think of having to do a chuck roast till it grey and and all broken down...what temp did you use and how long? BTW, just took a chuck out of the freezer and will be doing this for Sunday dinner

I do all beef at 130 degrees. The recipe I linked says at least 18 hours, but I did it for 30.

I kid you not...one of the single best things I've done sous vide. Just pull back on the salt a bit. My wife, who would have me install a salt lick in the family room, found it too salty.

I do all beef at 130 degrees. The recipe I linked says at least 18 hours, but I did it for 30.

I kid you not...one of the single best things I've done sous vide. Just pull back on the salt a bit. My wife, who would have me install a salt lick in the family room, found it too salty.

that looks incredibly good. It was just added to my list. i dont know when itll happen but at somepoint it will.

two more questions...I have two 2.5LB roasts I am defrosting now...

1) Would you trim and then truss together? Or trim , truss separately and then put in separate bags?

2) If I separate them, would you still advocate that long in the bath?

Thanks again for the direction...greatly appreciated!

two more questions...I have two 2.5LB roasts I am defrosting now...

1) Would you trim and then truss together? Or trim , truss separately and then put in separate bags?

2) If I separate them, would you still advocate that long in the bath?

Thanks again for the direction...greatly appreciated!

Totally missed this somehow. I'll assume everything came out great, yes?