Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

You can do either. I did 4 steaks last weekend and did 2 and 2 in a couple bags. It was just easiest. I like enough room that they don't touch, but not sure if that even matters. To get 4 steaks in one bag with enough room would take a big bag, but I think you're fine either way. Just be sure to pat dry before searing so you get a good sear.

i like to space them too -- but logistically i dont think it would make much difference since its true edge to edge temperature control.

maybe soak a little longer if its crowded up in there but im guessing mostly its us just having the dont crowd the pan hang up.

but yea, i normally do a couple in each bag.

Edited by NoSaint

My maiden voyage last night went extremely well! So easy, I followed the seriouseats guide. 2"-thick strip steaks. I feel like I can confidently purchase more expensive cuts of steak now and have it be worth it. I did forget to pat the steaks dry before searing. And next time I will add garlic cloves as an aromatic.

Two questions:

I want to get a cast iron skillet. This website suggests one from Lodge and one from Utopia. What are the real advantages of one over another?

Second, does anyone have any suggestions as to a second EASY recipe to try? I'm thinking something like a roast or pork.

Thanks!

My maiden voyage last night went extremely well! So easy, I followed the seriouseats guide. 2"-thick strip steaks. I feel like I can confidently purchase more expensive cuts of steak now and have it be worth it. I did forget to pat the steaks dry before searing. And next time I will add garlic cloves as an aromatic.

Two questions:

I want to get a cast iron skillet. This website suggests one from Lodge and one from Utopia. What are the real advantages of one over another?

Second, does anyone have any suggestions as to a second EASY recipe to try? I'm thinking something like a roast or pork.

Thanks!

your first line nailed one of the perks for me. i am a pretty good cook but would HATE getting pricy meat and then not nailing the execution. upping the quality of the product and getting it right every time has definitely helped my home cook reputation.

i say it all the time but pork loin or chops are super easy and a huge beneficiary of the style if you are often guilty of overcooking them (like most) (myself included).

and its a cut of meat that is versatile enough to be seasoned for just about any cuisine you want to do. ive been known to do the 2 packs of loins and do one bbq, and one with either a Mediterranean or Asian set of flavors.

Two questions:

Thanks!

Cast iron will give you a great sear. Read up on seasoning the pan and proper cleaning before using. I don't know about the other, but Lodge seems to be a leader and I love mine. They're only about $20-25 so not a huge investment and will last forever.

. And next time I will add garlic cloves as an aromatic.

Two questions:

Thanks!

No on the fresh garlic...there was talk earlier , forget why but powdered garlic much better.

I only have Lodge cast iron, love all or them.

No on the fresh garlic...there was talk earlier , forget why but powdered garlic much better.

I only have Lodge cast iron, love all or them.

I've used garlic, but someone did mention there was a health risk, so I stopped. Don't remember details or know if it's true, but there are plenty of other options. I usually just go s/p, butter and rosemary.

I have used garlic in the pan with the rosemary when I've seared, because that's how my favorite steakhouse around here does it. They actually bring the cast iron pan with garlic and rosemary to the table to serve.

BTW - I'm not allowed to do steak and NOT make "that sauce" according to the family. Shallots in butter, add some crushed peppercorns and red wine, reduce then add Demi-glacé Gold and a little water, reduce again.....and you'll be a hero.

I have an Egg to....but don't anticipate using it for searing. I think better method if you want smoke taste is on top of full and lit chimney starter.

You can do either. I did 4 steaks last weekend and did 2 and 2 in a couple bags. It was just easiest. I like enough room that they don't touch, but not sure if that even matters. To get 4 steaks in one bag with enough room would take a big bag, but I think you're fine either way. Just be sure to pat dry before searing so you get a good sear.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

You're welcome, and don't forget to re-season before searing. I'm finding I really enjoy this stuff, and I seem to have too much time on my hands. I enjoy learning from the folks here who know a lot more than I do!

Cast iron will give you a great sear. Read up on seasoning the pan and proper cleaning before using. I don't know about the other, but Lodge seems to be a leader and I love mine. They're only about $20-25 so not a huge investment and will last forever.

I agree on the Lodge choice. This is a pan that will go to your grandchildren if you just take time to clean it properly after you use it. One of the tricks is course sea salt. Grab a box of Morton kosher salt and keep it near your stove or sink.

You never want to use soap to clean the skillet, or anything else you use (sponges, etc.) to wash dishes, so put the skillet on the stove, turn the heat on, and when the pan starts to heat up enough to soften the fat, turn off the stove and pour a decent amount of salt into the pan. Grab a paper towel and use the salt as your abrasive to scrub the bottom of the pan. Not only does it get the tough stuff out, but it also absorbs the fat. Pour it into your trash can, rinse the skillet with water, wipe it off with a fresh paper towel, and you're ready for the next run.

Pour it into your trash can, rinse the skillet with water, wipe it off with a fresh paper towel, and you're ready for the next run.

Don't forget to dab a little oil on the dry pan and spread it around the surface to keep oxidation out.

My wife patented that line. I am in same boat-- Jan 9th bday. Am sort of banking on the immersion cooker.

Huh? Is that something else?

My wife is more "why are you waiting on me? You know what you want! Make it happen." This attitude makes her tough to shop for, if she wants it, she's got it. (Except that damn massage chair from Brookstone, she just can't pull the trigger on that, and I know why.....$$$$$)

My wife just dropped the, "maybe for your birthday," line. That's in 2 weeks. If I don't get it, I'm taking matters into my own hands.

The first law of spousal gift giving. If you don't get what you want - you go get what you want. :ph34r:

I want to hear about LOBSTER!

Thank you

Ha! I was skeptical after doing shrimp and scallops along the way without huge benefit (still good just not substantially better than traditional) but after reading a few articles I said screw it let's try it.

Did the quick splash in boiling water to help get it out of the shell easy, tossed it in with some butter and herbs- and after much debate about temp in the articles I went with a 130 (basically right in the middle of the range debated)

Was excellent. Rich and buttery and well textured-- right up there with the best I've had. Another one of those where it's nice to know your going to nail it on an expensive item

Ha! I was skeptical after doing shrimp and scallops along the way without huge benefit (still good just not substantially better than traditional) but after reading a few articles I said screw it let's try it.

Did the quick splash in boiling water to help get it out of the shell easy, tossed it in with some butter and herbs- and after much debate about temp in the articles I went with a 130 (basically right in the middle of the range debated)

Was excellent. Rich and buttery and well textured-- right up there with the best I've had. Another one of those where it's nice to know your going to nail it on an expensive item

Well done.

I am intrigued. Che Steps (Joule) does not appear to have a lobster recipe so I will probably have to borrow from you and some of the things on line when I get around to doing lobster.