We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Get him here on 8M cap hit and I am ok.

So, $8m and all of a sudden you are ok with the missing open receivers, avoiding throwing to the middle, and running into sacks.

What we pay him makes no difference to how he executes the position. None at all. But you know that, which is why I find this logic hard to follow.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, $8m and all of a sudden you are ok with the missing open receivers, avoiding throwing to the middle, and running into sacks.

What we pay him makes no difference to how he executes the position. None at all. But you know that, which is why I find this logic hard to follow.

Because that leaves you more money to improve at some other position(s)? I mean, what's hard to follow?

Not to defend taylor's passing performance, but goodwin wasn't really "open." The db was in decent position to make a ply.

I see NFL QBs make throws in plenty of games into tight windows with successful completions. It takes anticipation and accuracy to pull it off, but it seems to me that TT lacks the confidence to pull the trigger in those instances and even sometimes when guys are wide open by NFL standards.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@PrescottRossi

Tyrod Taylor on Rex saying he's been without top WR's: "Guys haven't complained. We've dealt with it... The offensive scheme stays the same"

@JaySkurski

Tyrod Taylor on the criticism he's facing: "Don't see it, don't hear it." #Bills

@JonTWCNews

Tyrod Taylor pressed about his future with #Bills and if he's proven enough to have extension picked up. His response says all about this wk

CzGGC-oUkAA-Scx.jpg

@MatthewFairburn

Tyrod Taylor on accountability: "I've taken everything you have asked me on the chest. It doesn't affect me."

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor: "Critics are going to critique. It's in their job title. ... I don't let it affect it me."

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor: "I don't feel like talking about my contract right now. We have games to play."

@TBNSports

Frustration boils over for #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor after testy 10-minute press conference. @JaySkurski at [bN] Blitz: http://bit.ly/2gcloOG

CzHItrgXgAEZDiC.jpg

on this play I see a RG & RT even with help from a TE get pushed right back into TT's throwing pocket....total breakdown of protection.

You need help understanding the game and maybe you would see a little better. Or need glasses (not rose colored ones)

not a single WR was "open" on that play prior to the pocket collapsing.

Goodwin was open when TT hit the top of the drop. Granted he was NFL open and not Colllege open. Maybe should stick to watching college ball

Not to defend taylor's passing performance, but goodwin wasn't really "open." The db was in decent position to make a ply.

You are right he wasn't college open. Needs to be college open or outside the numbers to get Ball thrown from TT

Put him at that price or cap hit and willing to give him another year.

What do you see here? :nana:

@Cover1Bills

Did he have Goodwin deep? Was he gunshy? Great route by Goodwin.

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/806580926952128512

on this play, prior to the pocket collapsing, I see:

LT - glenn does his job

LG - Richie does his job

C - groy blocks no one

RG - miller gets pushed so far back he is first to make contact with TT.

RT - mills gets pushed so far back he also makes contact with TT.

TE - Christian gets a nice chip block helping mills, then gets over powered.

TE - O'Leary goes out for pass. is covered underneath(by 54), breaks left, becomes open AFTER pocket collapse.

slot WR - runs same rout as oleary, is covered.

WR - Goodwin-looks like he was the target on this play the way TT sets up. I say goodwin runs the wrong route, he was supposed to go down the sidelines, but read coverage and broke towards the post. he was double covered.

@JeremyWGR

Jeremy White Retweeted Michael Parthum

Listener emailed this to me to point out that in 5 years... not much has changed. https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/tyrod-taylor-qb-virgina-tech-scouting-report/

very fair analysis....

i'll just say it again....i'm all for upgrading the QB position.....i'm operating under a bird in the hand is worth five in the bush. don't get rid of TT until that better QB is on team. there are 10-15 other teams looking for better QB play........if EJ or Cardale started every game on this years team we'd be 2-10 instead of 6-6. if our defense was Top 10, we'd be 9-3 instead of 6-6.

@JeremyWGR

Listener emailed this to me to point out that in 5 years... not much has changed. https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/tyrod-taylor-qb-virgina-tech-scouting-report/

^^^^Wow, this just shows, when Scouting Reports are done well and objectively, they tend to remain true years later...

until we have a better option step up and prove they are the better option this team can not afford to not have TT here. We can't go backwards at the QB position. I'll take a half ass TT over what will be available to us.

We stil draft another QB and we still work with Cardale but TT is going to be a Bill for the next couple of years, Cardale Jones is going to be groomed very slowly.. as will anyother options we can come across.. There will be no vets worthy of taking TT place available IMO

until we have a better option step up and prove they are the better option this team can not afford to not have TT here. We can't go backwards at the QB position. I'll take a half ass TT over what will be available to us.

We stil draft another QB and we still work with Cardale but TT is going to be a Bill for the next couple of years, Cardale Jones is going to be groomed very slowly.. as will anyother options we can come across.. There will be no vets worthy of taking TT place available IMO

Unfortunately, this is true. We're stuck with tryhard and his contract. My question now is, will he renegotiate to make his contract more team friendly? I don't think anyone can argue with a strait face that he's earned a big payday this year

Unfortunately, this is true. We're stuck with tryhard and his contract. My question now is, will he renegotiate to make his contract more team friendly? I don't think anyone can argue with a strait face that he's earned a big payday this year

They're not stuck at all. They have until the beginning of the next league year in March before they have to decide whether to exercise the option or not.

They're not stuck at all. They have until the beginning of the next league year in March before they have to decide whether to exercise the option or not.

I realize that's true from a contractual perspective, I mean more in the sense that there isn't really another viable option at QB. For my purposes, I'd be fine seeing EJ again, even remembering how frustrating he can be. TT isn't taking the bills to the playoffs, they have too many other holes and bad coaching, but i don't see the Bills going in any direction except starting TT next year.

Edited by dorquemada

I realize that's true from a contractual perspective, I mean more in the sense that there isn't really another viable option at QB. For my purposes, I'd be fine seeing EJ again, even remembering how frustrating he can be. TT isn't taking the bills to the playoffs, they have too many other holes and bad coaching, but i don't see the Bills going in any direction except starting TT next year.

EJ is done in Bills gear, and yeah, sure right now there isn't a better option, but when the season ends all bets are off.

EJ is done in Bills gear, and yeah, sure right now there isn't a better option, but when the season ends all bets are off.

There will be FA QBs, but none of them are going to be any better than TT, and won't cost any less

on this play, prior to the pocket collapsing, I see:

LT - glenn does his job

LG - Richie does his job

C - groy blocks no one

RG - miller gets pushed so far back he is first to make contact with TT.

RT - mills gets pushed so far back he also makes contact with TT.

TE - Christian gets a nice chip block helping mills, then gets over powered.

TE - O'Leary goes out for pass. is covered underneath(by 54), breaks left, becomes open AFTER pocket collapse.

slot WR - runs same rout as oleary, is covered.

WR - Goodwin-looks like he was the target on this play the way TT sets up. I say goodwin runs the wrong route, he was supposed to go down the sidelines, but read coverage and broke towards the post. he was double covered.

Of course you do. Your worship for a Bad QB is strong. Tebow cult strong.

@JeremyWGR

I have been saying this same thing all year

No your not. You can get the leagues worst passing game anywhere.

There will be FA QBs, but none of them are going to be any better than TT, and won't cost any less

Debatable on being better and yes they will cost way less than his cap hit.

Good read. This is my issue by picking the option. How tied to him you become long term.

Assessing the Dead Cap

One of the more important factors to note with this contract is the structure of the dead cap, especially with the uncertainty of Taylor's long-term capabilites as a franchise QB. The good news? All of Taylor's salary guarantees lie within the first two years of the deal (2017 & 2018). The less than gooder news? His $15.5M option bonus next March makes for a decent chunk of dead cap toward the backside of this contract.

Assuming the option is exercised, Taylor will carry the following dead cap hits:

2017: $33,603,334

2018: $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019: $10,660,000

2020: $6,880,000

2021: $3,100,000

Well, yeah, but why would the Bills exercise the option and then cut the guy in 2017? He'd have to look a ton worse than what they thought, and I'm sure they have a real good fix on how good he is. I suppose he could regress tremendously ... but more likely they would cut him before the option bonus and only owe the $2.85 mill.

Or more likely yet we'll see a re-negotiation and if Tyrod refuses they'll cut him. But it's hard to imagine Tyrod refusing. A couple of weeks ago I was guessing that he would indeed refuse. But he's gotten exposed since then. Unless his play improves a great deal over the next four weeks, it looks like teams have figured him out and he just isn't worth that guaranteed money.

Long-winded way of agreeing with you, I guess, about the problems of picking up the option with no re-negotiation.

Edited by Thurman#1

Well, yeah, but why would the Bills exercise the option and then cut the guy in 2017? He'd have to look a ton worse than what they thought, and I'm sure they have a real good fix on how good he is. I suppose he could regress tremendously ... but more likely they would cut him before the option bonus and only owe the $2.85 mill.

Or more likely yet we'll see a re-negotiation and if Tyrod refuses they'll cut him. But it's hard to imagine Tyrod refusing. A couple of weeks ago I was guessing that he would indeed refuse. But he's gotten exposed since then. Unless his play improves a great deal over the next four weeks, it looks like teams have figured him out and he just isn't worth that guaranteed money.

Why would Tyrod do anything to the contract. Pressure on Bills pick up option or no. Tyrod isn't going to do anything with the contract