We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Good read. This is my issue by picking the option. How tied to him you become long term.

Assessing the Dead Cap

One of the more important factors to note with this contract is the structure of the dead cap, especially with the uncertainty of Taylor's long-term capabilites as a franchise QB. The good news? All of Taylor's salary guarantees lie within the first two years of the deal (2017 & 2018). The less than gooder news? His $15.5M option bonus next March makes for a decent chunk of dead cap toward the backside of this contract.

Assuming the option is exercised, Taylor will carry the following dead cap hits:

2017: $33,603,334

2018: $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019: $10,660,000

2020: $6,880,000

2021: $3,100,000

There is absolutely no way anyone could convince me that TT is worth that kind of Cap gamble...No way...He's just not good enough to risk it... B-)

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a matchup league at this point, there is no one formula. Oakland (and similar teams) are a tough matchup for us. Kansas City isn't doing anything offensively drastically different than what we want to do and they've had tremendous regular season success the last couple of years playing a run first, ball control offense. The difference between us and a team like the Chiefs when it comes to a team like the Raiders our defense is awful. To be a good team in today's NFL you need to be elite at one thing, we aren't. Our defense isn't good enough to change the Raiders gameplan and our offense can't keep up in a shoot out. There are teams like the Saints and Chargers who can score with anyone but still lose because they can't stop anyone from scoring on them. We can win with Tyrod, or a guy like Tyrod, but we'll need to see dramatic improvement defensively. We can't win with this type of offense unless it's paired with an elite defense.

Right on. This defense is not quite as advertised consistently.

Good read. This is my issue by picking the option. How tied to him you become long term.

Assessing the Dead Cap

One of the more important factors to note with this contract is the structure of the dead cap, especially with the uncertainty of Taylor's long-term capabilites as a franchise QB. The good news? All of Taylor's salary guarantees lie within the first two years of the deal (2017 & 2018). The less than gooder news? His $15.5M option bonus next March makes for a decent chunk of dead cap toward the backside of this contract.

Assuming the option is exercised, Taylor will carry the following dead cap hits:

2017: $33,603,334

2018: $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019: $10,660,000

2020: $6,880,000

2021: $3,100,000

Yeah - not until 2019 does it become palatable.

@PrescottRossi

Tyrod Taylor on Rex saying he's been without top WR's: "Guys haven't complained. We've dealt with it... The offensive scheme stays the same"

@JaySkurski

Tyrod Taylor on the criticism he's facing: "Don't see it, don't hear it." #Bills

@JonTWCNews

Tyrod Taylor pressed about his future with #Bills and if he's proven enough to have extension picked up. His response says all about this wk

CzGGC-oUkAA-Scx.jpg

@MatthewFairburn

Tyrod Taylor on accountability: "I've taken everything you have asked me on the chest. It doesn't affect me."

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor: "Critics are going to critique. It's in their job title. ... I don't let it affect it me."

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor: "I don't feel like talking about my contract right now. We have games to play."

@buffalobills

On criticism: "Don't see it, don't hear it. Continue to keep pounding away. Last time I checked, we're still in it."

CzGFrSWUAAA0q_f.jpg
@JonahJavad

Jonah Javad Retweeted Buffalo Bills

I don't believe this for a second. He absolutely sees it and hears it. And he's become increasingly ornery with the media because of it.

@buffalobills

On criticism of Tyrod: "I don't think it's fair...I stand behind him. I watch the same tape. It's not his fault. It's a group effort."

CzGIMFvXAAggCdD.jpg

Nice to see Shady get his teammate's back, but.......

@JonahJavad

Jonah Javad Retweeted Buffalo Bills

I don't believe this for a second. He absolutely sees it and hears it. And he's become increasingly ornery with the media because of it.

Not to defend Tyrod or anything but, I wonder how the press would feel if he started asking them about their future earnings and job security etc.

He might be getting ornery about it because you keep on asking him about it.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Andy Dalton didn't look so good when AJ Green got hurt

All Ive been hearing all year is that Hotrod does not have Sammy. Ok, he had Sammy on Sunday. What did he do? 3 caches for 38 yards. And he overthrew him by 5 yards wide open beyond the DBs at the Raider 5, dang near got him killed another play, and missed him on a key 3rd down conversion on one of the 3 and outs (eerily similar to one he missed to Percy a few weeks back again on 3rd down).

his record is 1-2 since AJ Green got hurt.

And Bungles record is 3-5-1 with AJ. So what?

Not to defend Tyrod or anything but, I wonder how the press would feel if he started asking them about their future earnings.

He might be getting ornery about it because you keep on asking him about it.

Thus is the life of a starting QB in the NFL. Gotta be able to take the heat and remember that it's even worse in bigger media markets.

Thus is the life of a starting QB in the NFL. Gotta be able to take the heat and remember that it's even worse in bigger media markets.

It's only the life of a QB because everyone allows it to be. Probably a good thing my sports career died before it began, I'd probably hop the podium and punch someone :D

I think you can probably tell that I hate the fact that journalism is now akin to vulturism.

Just horrible. Throw the Ball. But this will have people saying under pressure so on OL (not true)

Good grief...could have thrown it in the flat or to Goodwin cutting across the back of the end zone. Both were open and he had a huge pocket.

It's a shame, but the guy simply doesn't have the instincts to play QB.