We Should Pick Up the Option on Tyrod No Matter What

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Dalton didn't look so good when AJ Green got hurt

Andy dalton still throws the ball all over the field, uses the middle of the field and I'm pretty sure he could win a game when his team is up 24-9 half way through the 3rd quarter.

Agreed that Tyrod might not be the long term answer, but the fact is that this team is 9th in points per game in 2016 and leads the league in every major rushing category. Whether you like him or not, Tyrod has had this team as a top 10 offense since he took over the quarterback position. How many of us would have complained about that 2 or 3 years ago?

The issue is that the defense (and Rex) has let this team down each of the last 2 years. And no, Tyrod isn't a perfect QB, but he has certainly held up his end of the bargain and produced despite lacking any real threats in the passing game this year. If you think putting Bryan Hoyer on this team in 2016 would have resulted any better , you're fooling yourself.

it has nothing to do with his top 3 WR's from last year missing for all or most of this year (Sammy, woods, Hogan) and last week his #1 TE stayed home ....and his starting center & RT are gone......those are just excuses (sarcasm) .....

It is. Injuries happen to every team.

Good QB's make play regardless of who is on the field.

Must read piece!

@spotrac

NEW: A look at the facts, figures, & rankings surrounding Tyrod Taylor's upcoming $82.5M club option w/ the #Bills.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-the-numbers-for-tyrod-taylors-option-619/

Yep. Especially for those who keep telling me how much cap space we have next year and it is not a problem. We have $32m (roughly) for 17 roster spots. Even if you get a cheap 5 or 6 through the draft it doesn't leave a lot to go round.

I recant my opinion stated last week that Tyrod isn't going anywhere. His performance against the Raiders was that bad. The formula the Bills are using just isn't going to get it done against a high powered offense. It is a QB driven league that wants to see points scored. If the Bills had home field advantage through the playoffs in a snowy Bills Stadium it might work but how many super bowls are being played in that climate?

It's a matchup league at this point, there is no one formula. Oakland (and similar teams) are a tough matchup for us. Kansas City isn't doing anything offensively drastically different than what we want to do and they've had tremendous regular season success the last couple of years playing a run first, ball control offense. The difference between us and a team like the Chiefs when it comes to a team like the Raiders our defense is awful. To be a good team in today's NFL you need to be elite at one thing, we aren't. Our defense isn't good enough to change the Raiders gameplan and our offense can't keep up in a shoot out. There are teams like the Saints and Chargers who can score with anyone but still lose because they can't stop anyone from scoring on them. We can win with Tyrod, or a guy like Tyrod, but we'll need to see dramatic improvement defensively. We can't win with this type of offense unless it's paired with an elite defense.

Yep. Especially for those who keep telling me how much cap space we have next year and it is not a problem. We have $32m (roughly) for 17 roster spots. Even if you get a cheap 5 or 6 through the draft it doesn't leave a lot to go round.

Keeping Tyrod, the starting needs are - FB, RT, WR2, WILB, CB1, FS (maybe)

Then a plethora of depth issues to address, as well as a probable $5.5m on Groy, Gillislee, Schmidt RFA tenders.

Must read piece!

@spotrac

NEW: A look at the facts, figures, & rankings surrounding Tyrod Taylor's upcoming $82.5M club option w/ the #Bills.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-the-numbers-for-tyrod-taylors-option-619/

Good read. This is my issue by picking the option. How tied to him you become long term.

Assessing the Dead Cap

One of the more important factors to note with this contract is the structure of the dead cap, especially with the uncertainty of Taylor's long-term capabilites as a franchise QB. The good news? All of Taylor's salary guarantees lie within the first two years of the deal (2017 & 2018). The less than gooder news? His $15.5M option bonus next March makes for a decent chunk of dead cap toward the backside of this contract.

Assuming the option is exercised, Taylor will carry the following dead cap hits:

2017: $33,603,334

2018: $17,690,000 (addt'l $9.75M kicks in on the 3rd league day)

2019: $10,660,000

2020: $6,880,000

2021: $3,100,000

his record is 1-2 since AJ Green got hurt.

This is true but

Daltons stats in those 3 games

83-122 822 yards

4 TDs

2 Int

4 sacks

Not bad for missing his #1 guy.

Perhaps the most telling indictment yet.

I'm shocked he only has 3 TD passes in 12, count them 12 games. OMG, could he suck anymore!

Bills you built this contract to have an out at the end of the year to protect yourself if exactly what is going on happened. Use it. USE YOUR OUT

This is true but

Daltons stats in those 3 games

83-122 822 yards

4 TDs

2 Int

4 sacks

Not bad for missing his #1 guy.

I'm shocked he only has 3 TD passes in 12, count them 12 games. OMG, could he suck anymore!

And the Picks?