We are witnessing the slow decay of Charles Clay

Charles Clay, one of the Bills most expensive FA signings in the last few years, is on a steady decline that the Dolphins luckily missed out on. Not only have his numbers only gotten worse every year, the whispers about his bad knee that "needs draining" and on the eye test, he looks slow and ineffective both as a runner and pass catcher. His YPC this year has dipped below 10 yards!

By the numbers:

2013: 102 tgt's, 69 catches for 759 yards, 6 TD's, 11 YPC, 67.6% catch rate over 16 games

2014: 84 tgt's, 58 carthes for 605 yards, 3 TD's, 10.4 YPC, 69% catch rate over 14 games

2015: 77 tgt's, 51 catches for 528 yards, 3 TD's, 10.4 YPC, 66.2% catch rate over 13 games

2016: (so far) 57 tgt's, 36 catches for 323 yards, 0 TD's, 9 YPC, 63.2% catch rate over 11 games

Is Clay's lack of productivity something to watch going forward? With him basically being uncuttable due to our restructure of his deal, can this team afford a top 5 TE contract albatross around their neck for 300 yards and 0 TD's in 11 games? Do his contributions in the run game justify his bloated contract?

Edited by jmc12290

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly asking, any chance those stats have Targets per season as well? Might tell another story (or the same, which is why I ask).

Added along with games played. However, targets is effectively used in catch rate (which is plummeting), and would also have little to do with yards per catch.

I mentioned this is another thread, that he's aging rapidly. That 2-juke move he put on the Dolphins at home last year seems like a decade ago. He looks pained while lumbering through his routes and I suspect his days of reaching up or back for a close but inaccurate pass are behind him.

Count me among the Duly Concerned

I mentioned this is another thread, that he's aging rapidly. That 2-juke move he put on the Dolphins at home last year seems like a decade ago. He looks pained while lumbering through his routes and I suspect his days of reaching up or back for a close but inaccurate pass are behind him.

Count me among the Duly Concerned

I stole this whole topic premise from that.

Added along with games played. However, targets is effectively used in catch rate (which is plummeting), and would also have little to do with yards per catch.

Thanks, I really wasn't doubting you just helps. I'll say I agree with what chandler said, he's looking slower for sure. I think he's still a reliable pass catcher.

Charles Clay was never that great as a TE. His value was in his versatility. We thought we might see him in the backfield as a h back or full back or in different looks where we could split him out vs a LB and have a matchup advantage. They don't use him like that at all, just as a plain old TE.

Issue 2 is that we stink at throwing the football. Worst in the league. Tyrod is good at running but he plays QB unfortunately for him

I do worry about it. While a lot of people obsess about the McCoy contract or the Sammy trade up (both of which were high prices but to get elite talents) I was worried about paying a high price for a solid tight end. Better than what he replaced? Sure. Anywhere near worth the contract? Nope.

i've noticed these past few games that he seems very ... sluggish. his first move after catch seems to be in slow motion and he typically just falls down as soon as he makes the catch. i'd love to see someone meaner (o'leary??) on the field that isn't afraid to run through someone.

Which game was it where Clay was 1v1 vs a DB and we needed a 1st down and he was unable unwilling to plow him over for a 1st down. Was it Baltimore or vs Miami?

That play still stands out in my mind.

FTFY. I think it was Miami. That was the new 3rd and pu$$y, not quite as bad as Orton, but pretty close. Clay clearly shied away from the contact. He looked really bad later in comparison when TD Mike blew through three defenders on that screen TD later in the game.