I want Romo!!!

Protocal69

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're mostly mental. He has trouble hitting receivers in stride; he has trouble "seeing" who is going to be open at the time of the catch even though the receiver is not open at the time of the throw; he can't put the ball in tight windows or place it so that a receiver can catch in stride and get a lot of YAC.

He has trouble seeing the center of the field. He hesitates to throw at all unless he sees someone wide open, usually at a dead stop or near a dead stop. Only then (usually) does he have confidence to throw the ball.

His mechanics are pretty bad; he has lots of bad habits he hasn't overcome so far; on occasion he throws off the wrong foot; he has happy feet; he taps the ball and hops around as he contemplates "what should I do" etc., instead of having the ball ready to go.

When he gets everything right and makes a lovely pass, he can't do it consistently time and time again. He's inconsistent.

He is a great athlete, and a great runner. Has great speed. He can almost always make the first man miss in the open field if he runs, and his ability to squirm out of a sack is outstanding. His natural arm strength is also excellent.

He protects the ball well, but that is a double edged sword. He doesn't throw many interceptions because he is hesitant to make a lot of passes a better QB would attempt. He needs to overcome that overly cautious nature if he is improve, but when he does gain more confidence, he'll throw more interceptions.

I like Tyrod, but most of the things he does well are not what I want my QB to do well.

What he struggles to do well is what your QB must be able to consistently do well, if you want to win the close ones, the tough ones, the ones where the D didn't show up, and the playoff games where every team you play has a QB of the type Tyrod is not.

Tyrod is a .500 ceiling, +/- a game or 2 QB. Can't see him winning a playoff game against a team with a good passer.

No, I mean OTHER than all of this... :lol:

Seriously, a thoughtful post. What I fail to believe is that he simply will never improve at any of these things.

Normally I'm a go-along-to-get-along Bills fan. I recognize two facts: (1) I genuinely have no control over what the team does and (2) I simply can't quit them. So I tend to go along. The Tyrod thing kind of bugged me because I didn't feel like EJ got a square deal. (EJ lost me in London, so we're good there.)

But I've watched Tyrod get better and better. Yes, he has crappy games, but every quarterback does. Yes, there are times he throws a ball that makes me scratch my head. I am stunned how difficult it appears to be to turn and throw a quick out, which turns into a bouncer. Yet I saw Drew Brees do the same thing last night on his very first play.

I just feel like the leap of faith from 4-year-backup to NFL speed is pretty significant, and the game needs to slow down for him a bit more before he even begins to hit his ceiling. The one thing I'm unable to do is see the extremely limited body of work make progress, and then come to the immediate conclusion that we've seen his ceiling.

But then again, I loved JP Losman, so what do I know?

No, I mean OTHER than all of this... :lol:

Seriously, a thoughtful post. What I fail to believe is that he simply will never improve at any of these things.

Normally I'm a go-along-to-get-along Bills fan. I recognize two facts: (1) I genuinely have no control over what the team does and (2) I simply can't quit them. So I tend to go along. The Tyrod thing kind of bugged me because I didn't feel like EJ got a square deal. (EJ lost me in London, so we're good there.)

But I've watched Tyrod get better and better. Yes, he has crappy games, but every quarterback does. Yes, there are times he throws a ball that makes me scratch my head. I am stunned how difficult it appears to be to turn and throw a quick out, which turns into a bouncer. Yet I saw Drew Brees do the same thing last night on his very first play.

I just feel like the leap of faith from 4-year-backup to NFL speed is pretty significant, and the game needs to slow down for him a bit more before he even begins to hit his ceiling. The one thing I'm unable to do is see the extremely limited body of work make progress, and then come to the immediate conclusion that we've seen his ceiling.

But then again, I loved JP Losman, so what do I know?

I think that you touched on something important here. I don't think that there is necessarily a right or a wrong time to pull the plug on a young player. The answer isn't "after ____ starts" you know what you have. It depends on how where they were prior. Tyrod was in a good situation in Baltimore and played a lot of games at VT. As an example he should be more ready to compete than Cardale Jones.

The other thing, and more importantly, is what have they shown in their time on the field? That is why I was so ready to be done with EJ. I did not see the makings of a starting NFL QB. He was inaccurate, hesitant and seemed to regress. With Tyrod, the game seems to be slowing down. He is elusive and decisive in the pocket (even though he doesn't always make the right decision). He has shown signs to me that warrant an extended look. He isn't a guy that needs "the lightbulb to go off" he just needs to keep progressing. When you are banking on a QB to make a total 180 that's when it is time to pull the plug.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

After careful consideration and putting the bow on the box after hearing his press conference today, I officially want the BILLS to go after Romo next year. I love looking at Tyrod Taylor when everything is humming but your record says you are who you are.

I know ROMO back is messed up but if he sits out this year which it looks like is going to happen that will give Romo a whole year to heal up. Can you imagine our offense with a healthy Romo and us upgrading a OL in the offseason.

I know its a risk and I'm not Whaley but who would you rather pay 20 million dollars to next year. Tyrod or Romo. I'll give Tyrod a chance to finish the season but if he does not look like a top 10 QB by the end of the season I would talk to Dallas to see what they want for Romo.

I'm with \you but at the right price

After careful consideration and putting the bow on the box after hearing his press conference today, I officially want the BILLS to go after Romo next year. I love looking at Tyrod Taylor when everything is humming but your record says you are who you are.

I know ROMO back is messed up but if he sits out this year which it looks like is going to happen that will give Romo a whole year to heal up. Can you imagine our offense with a healthy Romo and us upgrading a OL in the offseason.

I know its a risk and I'm not Whaley but who would you rather pay 20 million dollars to next year. Tyrod or Romo. I'll give Tyrod a chance to finish the season but if he does not look like a top 10 QB by the end of the season I would talk to Dallas to see what they want for Romo.

Romo has missed a lot of time with injury over the past few seasons. And he's older. Can't see that trend reversing. Bad backs are especially no bueno no matter what age.

Romo should take a pay cut and hold a clipboard in Dallas until he decides to retire and think of his health

forget that, can make big bux in Denver and go out like Manning. If he was their now they would be SB contenders

Denver really makes all of the sense in the world. Siemian is a scrub as a starter. He feels like the kind of guy that could have a long career as a backup though. Denver's window is open though. They are the defending Super Bowl Champ with garbage QB play last year. Lynch was a project when they took him. It wouldn't hurt his development to sit 2 more years (at least when Romo is healthy).

Denver should sign Romo for 2 years, trade Siemian for a mid-late round pick (or maybe even a RB) and develop Lynch.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

And the Bills can also talk Peyton Manning out of retirement to be Romo's backup!

No way Romo lasts 16 games. Wouldn't be surprised if he just hung them up. If we are going to shop for a new qb, how about one born after the Berlin Wall came down?

I'd rather go for Kirk Cousins, who will be a free agent.

wow is it "shiny toy" season already?

They're mostly mental. He has trouble hitting receivers in stride; he has trouble "seeing" who is going to be open at the time of the catch even though the receiver is not open at the time of the throw; he can't put the ball in tight windows or place it so that a receiver can catch in stride and get a lot of YAC.

He has trouble seeing the center of the field. He hesitates to throw at all unless he sees someone wide open, usually at a dead stop or near a dead stop. Only then (usually) does he have confidence to throw the ball.

His mechanics are pretty bad; he has lots of bad habits he hasn't overcome so far; on occasion he throws off the wrong foot; he has happy feet; he taps the ball and hops around as he contemplates "what should I do" etc., instead of having the ball ready to go.

When he gets everything right and makes a lovely pass, he can't do it consistently time and time again. He's inconsistent.

He is a great athlete, and a great runner. Has great speed. He can almost always make the first man miss in the open field if he runs, and his ability to squirm out of a sack is outstanding. His natural arm strength is also excellent.

He protects the ball well, but that is a double edged sword. He doesn't throw many interceptions because he is hesitant to make a lot of passes a better QB would attempt. He needs to overcome that overly cautious nature if he is improve, but when he does gain more confidence, he'll throw more interceptions.

I like Tyrod, but most of the things he does well are not what I want my QB to do well.

What he struggles to do well is what your QB must be able to consistently do well, if you want to win the close ones, the tough ones, the ones where the D didn't show up, and the playoff games where every team you play has a QB of the type Tyrod is not.

Tyrod is a .500 ceiling, +/- a game or 2 QB. Can't see him winning a playoff game against a team with a good passer.

No dude you don't like Tyrod one bit so knock of the "I Like Tyrod, but" before/after you **** all over him. It is a very weak and transparent tactic. You say "Tyrods problems are mental" what does that mean are you saying he isnt smart enough because it comes across as he has all the physical tools and is still learning the position. So is that a good reason to toss him after leass than 2 years as a starter?

wow is it "shiny toy" season already?

More like dumpster diving than a shiny toy

Denver really makes all of the sense in the world. Siemian is a scrub as a starter. He feels like the kind of guy that could have a long career as a backup though. Denver's window is open though. They are the defending Super Bowl Champ with garbage QB play last year. Lynch was a project when they took him. It wouldn't hurt his development to sit 2 more years (at least when Romo is healthy).

Denver should sign Romo for 2 years, trade Siemian for a mid-late round pick (or maybe even a RB) and develop Lynch.

See I think Denver a terrible spot. They have no running game (unlike last year) and he is so brittle he may end up broken in two after two games.

See I think Denver a terrible spot. They have no running game (unlike last year) and he is so brittle he may end up broken in two after two games.

If Romo continues to play I would think that his only goal would be a Super Bowl. Denver is 7-3 now. If you plugged Romo in today they are a serious Super Bowl contender. Manning was awful last year and won. Their window is open now which is why it makes sense for the Broncos.

They will try to improve the running game in the offseason (they have to). Maybe Denver native Christian McCaffrey is that guy?

Denver should sign Romo for 2 years, trade Siemian for a mifod-late round pick (or maybe even a RB) and develop Lynch.

The more I look at it, the more I expect this to happen. Romo would be looking for: (1) a playoff-quality team being hampered by lack of a good QB; (2) an offense around him - O line protection plus offensive weapons - that gives him the chance to succeed and avoid the big hits. And the teams who'd be interested are those that see themselves right at the top of the competitive cycle - teams in the "win now" mode. USA Today mentioned Denver (Siemien is purely a stopgap, and they're afraid to go all in on Lynch at this point), Rams (unless Goff impresses now), Jets (I won't even say "unless Petty impresses"), Vikings (an upgrade over Bradford, and concerns about Bridgewater's health/ceiling?), Cards (but Palmer has contract money left, and you kind of get the feeling they missed their window, don't you?). They also throw in Cleveland for, umm, a laugh. They don't mention the Bills though. To the extent Romo can dictate where he goes (and I think that's pretty certain), how can Buffalo compete with NY or LA? I'd suggest a warm weather climate would be appealing. I could also see the Dolphins walking away from Tanny if they knew they could get Romo. So while the Bills, assuming they'd improve the O line at the same time, would be an appealing fit -- offensive weapons in their prime/still under team control for at least 2017, desperate for the playoffs -- I can't see Romo being interested. Plus you've got the Pats in the way of a division title. Denver just makes too much sense, and remember, Elway's done this before ...

Bledsoe part II??

Well, we did go from awful (3-13) to mediocre (8-8, 6-10, 9-7) after acquiring Bledsoe. So it's not out of the question that we could go from mediocre under Fitzy/EJ/Orton/Tyrod to at least Chiefs level with Romo? Look, this isn't a move you make if you're not just a little bit desperate, which any Bills fan ought to be right now ...

I think Romo should retire. He's had some major injuries to his spine and I think the risk rises the longer he plays. I'm looking at it from more of the "person" perspective. He's a very good (but not great) quarterback and I just don't think he elevates Bills enough for the amount of money it's going to take. By all accounts he's a genuinely good guy and I think the longer he plays, the more he's going to pay the price down the line. Arthritis in the spine is not fun and can be very debilitating.