Rumor: Some in Bills org want to move on from Dareus

YoloinOhio

I used to think that. Out of college I had an entry level job and I was like man I should be running this joint, if they paid me what I'm worth I would work so much harder. Fast forward to today and I make triple and I'll admit that I probably do half the work. It's hard not to get comfortable once you get to the top. If they thought they were going to get a better version of Dareus by showing him the money then that is silly. You are either self motivated or not. If you are just about the money then you will work just hard enough to get that money but then after that where is the incentive?

Is your team winning?Are you a good Coach, Or are you just a player?

Methinks you have a solid point with the bolded. That is why you pick out these guys as your employees or players

Wouldn't surprise me as rumblings have been coming out over the irritation some have inside about his lack of conditioning during his suspension. I bet guys like Rex still want him, because he's a major talent when on the field and motivated, but I bet the guys having to make other sacrifices in the cap over his salary are pretty sick of all that money he is tying up and how little he is on the field mostly due to self inflicted BS. I am starting to get concerned he could become the next Albert Haynesworth in regards to motivation after he got his big pay day.

Personally, he's too talented to give up on just yet IMO, but I am getting more and more open minded to seeing if we could get a bounty for him in a trade to fill other key spaces, especially since our DL has been good enough without him. If we could get a first and change for him in this next draft, I would be very intrigued if I was Whaley because we need more help in the defensive backfield than upfront and we need more weapons on offense.

Bills need the cap space actually. I am not saying it could right a wrong, but worth consideration. Worth a looksee.

Agreed.

He could be THAT guy. Thats the pisser of this

Yep - see "Kyle Williams" or "Fred Jackson" (when he was here).

who both restructured their deals. How f'd up is that?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus has quite simply let the team down, and very likely cost the team, his teammates, and the city a playoff slot.

With Dareus in the lineup, the Bills don't lose to Miami. Period.

With Dareus in the lineup against the Jets, Wrecks doesn't feel like he has to have his safeties in the box to stop the run, and our CBs don't get murdered by jump balls to the Green Giants they have at WR. (I just made that up but I wonder if someone thought of it before.) Even with that mismatch, the Bills nearly won.

With those two games as wins, the Bills are at 6-3 and 3-2 in the AFC. With their easier schedule coming up, they'd be expecting to finish 11-5 or better and coast into a WC slot. Now, even if they go 6-1 the rest of the way, they probably don't make the playoffs.

For costing his team a playoff slot so he could get high, and come in out of shape so he got hurt right away, he's the team's highest paid player? Yeah, I think I see a problem here.

Also don't try and pull a fast one saying he shouldn't have paid Dareus. Not one person back then would have said that.

Seriously? There was concern among my circle of friends. Now we find out that Dareus has a get stoned for free clause in his contract. Sad & incompetent showing by Whaley.

Seriously, compare the numbers for everyone listed--Dareus comes out ahead most of the time.

Only if he's on the field. He could be the best overall talent in the league, if he doesn't play what does it matter?

Perhaps maybe weed should be taken off of the banned substance list by the NFL......

This is rich, made me LOL.

I get it now, Dareus is the victim.

Edited by Cripple Creek

While it does suck what is happening this year with him i feel the bills have to hang onto him, his trade value with that conract would be very low. Would kinda be like when we dumped lynch for nothing and he turned it around. Just gotta hope he grows up and plays like he used

Seriously? There was concern among my circle of friends. Now we find out that Dareus has a get stoned for free clause in his contract. Sad & incompetent showing by Whaley.

I still can't wrap my head around this. When a guy has his agent negotiate a special "can't void my contract for another marijuana violation," it is obvious that he either intends to use again, or at least understands that it's very likely he won't be able to resist temptation. Who gives anyone that kind of deal? And if he's that essential to your team winning - which is what a lot of folks are saying here - aren't you basically saying, "we're o.k. with taking the risk that you'll miss 1/4 of the season" despite how "essential" he is? I've negotiated contracts. This is someone telling you that they plan to breach the contract. Absolute insanity.

Where exactly did you find that? It's not even up to Whaley, the league suspends players. Please tell us the details about this clause so we can discuss incompetence (whether it be the GM, or someone else).

Where exactly did you find that? It's not even up to Whaley, the league suspends players. Please tell us the details about this clause so we can discuss incompetence (whether it be the GM, or someone else).

I don't know the details, but if you look back in this thread you'll see the point: the Eagles negotiated a "remainder of your guaranteed money is gone if you get busted again" clause for their very own Dareus, Lane Johnson.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/08/suspension_could_end_up_costing_eagles_lane_johnso.html

So why didn't the Bills do the same thing with Dareus? Two possible answers: (1) unlike the Eagles, they don't know what the hell they're doing in negotiating a contract; or (2) they understood their options, but were so desperate to keep Dareus that they were willing to take the risk. I have to assume it was (2), since even if Whaley would've been snookered, surely there's a smart lawyer or three involved in the process for the Bills. And that means Whaley took a gamble - to my mind, a really unjustifiable gamble when you're talking about the kind of contract that can absolutely cripple an organization's ability to win over the course of several years if it goes south.

I don't know the details, but if you look back in this thread you'll see the point: the Eagles negotiated a "remainder of your guaranteed money is gone if you get busted again" clause for their very own Dareus, Lane Johnson.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/08/suspension_could_end_up_costing_eagles_lane_johnso.html

So why didn't the Bills do the same thing with Dareus? Two possible answers: (1) unlike the Eagles, they don't know what the hell they're doing in negotiating a contract; or (2) they understood their options, but were so desperate to keep Dareus that they were willing to take the risk. I have to assume it was (2), since even if Whaley would've been snookered, surely there's a smart lawyer or three involved in the process for the Bills. And that means Whaley took a gamble - to my mind, a really unjustifiable gamble when you're talking about the kind of contract that can absolutely cripple an organization's ability to win over the course of several years if it goes south.

Interesting, but even if true it doesn't mean he gets a free ride as expressed. He does NOT. If he gets caught, no pay. I'm not sure how many people know all the details. I do not.

Perhaps you missed it earlier this year.

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/08/bills-marcell-dareus-guarantees

His guarantee in 2016 will void, but the rest of his guarantees will not be affected because very rare language limits the voiding of guarantees to the year he commits the breach, a league source tells ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter. In short – Dareus will get banged for 2016, but the guaranteed cash he is set to receive through 2021 as a part of his six-year, $95.1MM deal will remain untouched. Given that Dareus does have some off-the-field history, one has to wonder why the Bills would consent to such an unusual clause.

AKA the "Smoke Up!" clause.

Jason Cole from Bleacher Report is the reporter

@pfrumors

Some Bills Execs Want To Dump Marcell Dareus

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/11/bills-frustrated-marcell-dareus

Video is pulled with no written alternate.

Looks like he was called on it and they removed it without removing headline.

Not first time this 'Insider' found what is found inside a toilet.

I disagree. I 100% hate what Dareus has done to the franchise but being a 3rd overall pick, putting up a 7.5 sack season and then exploding for a 10 sack season (17.5 sacks from a DT is elite), the gamble was 100% justified. Whaley would have been burned at the stake if he let MD walk.

And as for MD's suspensions crippling a franchise, I feel thats a bit overstated. MD loses that money. The Bills get a salary cap credit for the suspension (correct me if im wrong).

If MD wants to continue down this path he'll be out of the NFL with a ban. We wont be crippled.

I hate MD's stupidity but as a franchise I dont think we had much of a choice at the time. How we now go forward from here with MD is another story.

Edited by bobobonators

Perhaps maybe weed should be taken off of the banned substance list by the NFL......

Or maybe the NFL is outdated in its stances and should follow suit of several states that are starting to allow recreational use.

Perhaps it should, but until that day comes the point is totally irrelevant as it pertains to Dareus.