Rumor: Some in Bills org want to move on from Dareus

YoloinOhio

Whaley? Don't be stupid Whaley wasn't GM in 2011.

Also don't try and pull a fast one saying he shouldn't have paid Dareus. Not one person back then would have said that.

I did.

You just don't invest that money in a DT.

Skill players? Yes. DT? no.

I questioned the guarantees of the contract at the time. If you compare the size of his deal and level of his guarantees to the other top DTs, it was way out of line. I understand this is Buffalo and it is the Bills so you probably have to pay some sort of premium, but the guarantees given Dareus were ridiculous. And I said so at the time.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Dareus just doesn't want to play Nose Tackle in this defense and is coming up with all sorts of injury excuses. Maybe he just got Haynesworth disease and decided it's just not worth working when your bank account is overflowing with free money.

Either way it's on the player regardless of who picked him, who signed him or who coached him.

Whaley? Don't be stupid Whaley wasn't GM in 2011.

Also don't try and pull a fast one saying he shouldn't have paid Dareus. Not one person back then would have said that.

Do you think it was smart to add a clause that guarantees that much money even if he takes drugs? Is this what you really think?

As far as I know, the GM is ultimately responsible. This behavior is a repeat of a familiar pattern wrt Whaley. They should get rid of him asap and let him (and Rex) ruin some other team, (if anyone would hire them).

Trade a free agent. You definitely should apply for some NFL front office positions. You have some novel ideas there!

TRade is hardly impossible. package Gilmore in there,

yea i said that

So the one question I have, was a Lane a FA when he re-signed. From what I recall Dareus was a FA, could easily leave Buffalo, so can't imagine a player agreeing to those terms when he can easily go elsewhere immediately. Takes most leverage away from the team. If they had re-signed him early in his last season, then much easier to get player to agree to things. This wasn't an 11th hour deal, more like midnight. Not faulting the Bills for waiting that long, but does take leverage away.

This is the why handing Dareus a massive contract with no language regarding suspensions for failing drug tests was laughed at around the league. The Eagles had a similar situation with Lane Johnson, a very talented OT, but one who had previously been suspended for PED use. So, the Eagles included in his massive contract extension, language that protected the team against the player making a foolish decision and using PED's again. What happened? Lane got popped again for PED use and was suspended for 10 games. Because the Eagles were diligent in their contract negotiation all of Lane Johnson's contact guarantees are now gone.........poof......they are on the hook for $0 if they want to cut him.

>>>>>Typically, a drug policy violation would allow the Bills to get out of all guarantees, but a rare clause in his contract limited the punishment to only the year of the misstep. In other words, Dareus’ 2016 guarantees went out the window, but all other guarantees through 2021 remained untouched.<<<<<

Would anybody like to once again sing the praises of Whaley? Just another example, maybe the biggest of all, of Whaley pissing away the resources of this football team. He really needs to go.

This is totally indefensible. I'm not sure if this is on Overdorf, Whaley or ownership, but if it is not ownership then a head should roll.

>>>>>Typically, a drug policy violation would allow the Bills to get out of all guarantees, but a rare clause in his contract limited the punishment to only the year of the misstep. In other words, Dareus’ 2016 guarantees went out the window, but all other guarantees through 2021 remained untouched.<<<<<

Would anybody like to once again sing the praises of Whaley? Just another example, maybe the biggest of all, of Whaley pissing away the resources of this football team. He really needs to go.

AMEN!!!!!!

I like what Whaley's done, but the lack of a "pot clause" is a very bad look for him. I don't pretend to know if it was him, JO or RB pushing this thing to get it done, but this is some seriously bad judgement on their collective part. Given the likelihood of a non-disclosure agreement pending his firing, we'll probably never know.

Was Dareus actually in Rehab? He was seen in a club right after he said he was going to rehab. Over paid BUM!

Edited by Sanjosebillsfan

Whaley drafts and signs players like he is one of us fans. I have said it all before, he gets blinded by shiney things and goes "all in" more than he should. Now you can list the successful dumpster dives in his defense, if your always picking through trash your bound to find something.

Fundamentally unsound decisions are going to haunt us even after his departure. Heck our biggest contribution from a 1st round pick is Shaq Lawson who just sat out half the season. That's not a recipe for success. Who ever wrote this contract probably gave Marrone that nice option too. Dipshits.

Mario Williams and now Dareus ... bailing after Rex and Rob come to town.

If and when we fail to make the playoffs fire Rex and bring back Schwartz to be HC and bring in an offensive guru as while I like what Lee has done I have problems with our QB coach, WR coach and other members of the offensive staff. The only issue is we'd have to LBs in Preston Brown and Reggie Ragland that be best suited as MLB and would only need 1 if move to a 43 front.

Whaley drafts and signs players like he is one of us fans. I have said it all before, he gets blinded by shiney things and goes "all in" more than he should. Now you can list the successful dumpster dives in his defense, if your always picking through trash your bound to find something.

Fundamentally unsound decisions are going to haunt us even after his departure. Heck our biggest contribution from a 1st round pick is Shaq Lawson who just sat out half the season. That's not a recipe for success. Who ever wrote this contract probably gave Marrone that nice option too. Dipshits.

No he doesn't b.c he wouldn't have gotten ridden of golden boy Kiko Alonso or Fred Over the Hill Jackson.

No he doesn't b.c he wouldn't have gotten ridden of golden boy Kiko Alonso or Fred Over the Hill Jackson.

Yeah EJ played out the duration of his contract in BLO, it took him how long to replace Duke Williams? MD doesn't feel loved? Oh boy, let him dictate his terms can't have him leaving! Ignore his mistakes he had a hard life!! Give up the world for a WR in the best class of WR's know to man. He was the best one in college!! I need the shiniest toy!! I don't care what it costs I want it. Shady won't accept the trade?! Redo that deal, it's just money! The Pegula's have to be getting sick of this, I don't care how rich they are eventually it will get old.

Who do we think the "execs" are that want to move on? I assume overdorf, Whaley, pegs all signed off on the contract but that doesn't mean they don't regret it. Monos might be one who looks at that and shakes his head now. I like a lot of things Whaley has done but Monos seems more practical whenever I've heard him interviewed (jmo of course)

Yeah EJ played out the duration of his contract in BLO, it took him how long to replace Duke Williams? MD doesn't feel loved? Oh boy, let him dictate his terms can't have him leaving! Ignore his mistakes he had a hard life!! Give up the world for a WR in the best class of WR's know to man. He was the best one in college!! I need the shiniest toy!! I don't care what it costs I want it. Shady won't accept the trade?! Redo that deal, it's just money! The Pegula's have to be getting sick of this, I don't care how rich they are eventually it will get old.

You just agreed with me that he doesn't act like a fan...no one liked Duke and wanted him out, most know EJ isnt good and wanted him out. Thanks for proving my point.

While I tend to think of the last 5 drafts as hits for the most part, looking back on what could have been (save your comments, I know hindsight is 20/20 and a waste of time):

2011 - Patrick Peterson instead of Dareus

2012 - Fletcher Cox or Dontari Poe instead of Gilmore

2013 - Anyone instead of EJ, but we could have gotten Deandre Hopkins / Kawaan Short / Leveon Bell instead of EJ / Woods / Kiko

2014 - Mack if moving up / obviously ODB or Aaron Donald ( or even Zack Martin) if staying put

:cry:

Or Whaley has a hard time admitting failure and hangs on to lost causes longer than he should.

Since when is Darus a failure? He was the MVP of this defense the last 2 years.

While I tend to think of the last 5 drafts as hits for the most part, looking back on what could have been (save your comments, I know hindsight is 20/20 and a waste of time):

2011 - Patrick Peterson instead of Dareus

2012 - Fletcher Cox or Dontari Poe instead of Gilmore

2013 - Anyone instead of EJ, but we could have gotten Deandre Hopkins / Kawaan Short / Leveon Bell instead of EJ / Woods / Kiko

2014 - Mack if moving up / obviously ODB or Aaron Donald ( or even Zack Martin) if staying put

:cry:

You forgot to add Peyton Manning if we would have traded up.

Carson Wentz if we would have traded up

Tom Brady WAS A 6TH ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it might motivate Dareus.

Motivate him to what? Keep doing what he's doing? It's not like staying in Buffalo is a huge incentive to most players. I'm sure he'd rather suit up somewhere that has a winning tradition instead of for a perennial loser.