New PAT Rule

Jobot

So I only watched some of the games yesterday as I'm finding each week I become more disinterested if the Bills aren't playing.

Everyone (I guess just the NFL and ESPN) is now raving about how great this new rule to push back the PAT. I don't see it. As a fan, I could care less if a kicker can make 30-something yarder/or not to win a game. I want to see a team drive down the field and make it's way into the endzone! THAT SHOULD DETERMINE WHO WINS! Not the smallest guy on the field that comes in to do what no one else bothered to care enough to train for!

The way Denver won was total garbage especially since the player ALSO stepped out of bounds! It wasn't exciting it was more frustration watching these games, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the NFL even called down to intervene with the correct call to stay up on their high and mighty horse and say 'look at the excitement we've given you.... ALSO - this steals a historic comeback from Drew Brees against one of the leagues top-defense. Comeback drives will no longer go towards a qbs record with this crap.

....side note if anyone saw the roughing the passer on Big Ben when he was hit from behind and simultaneously connected with a fore-arm to the face from the defender in front of him. Not sure if the NFL thinks we're idiots, but guess what... the NFL's Andrew Pererra guru is a joke and we know it. The NFL must think they can trick us by dressing up an old guy in a suite and telling us what's right and wrong. It is very clear that Commentators calling the game were recently instructed to start agreeing with officials... Just add it to the list of NFL frustrations.

So I only watched some of the games yesterday as I'm finding each week I become more disinterested if the Bills aren't playing.

Everyone (I guess just the NFL and ESPN) is now raving about how great this new rule to push back the PAT. I don't see it. As a fan, I could care less if a kicker can make 30-something yarder/or not to win a game. I want to see a team drive down the field and make it's way into the endzone! THAT SHOULD DETERMINE WHO WINS! Not the smallest guy on the field that comes in to do what no one else bothered to care enough to train for!

The way Denver won was total garbage especially since the player ALSO stepped out of bounds! It wasn't exciting it was more frustration watching these games, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the NFL even called down to intervene with the correct call to stay up on their high and mighty horse and say 'look at the excitement we've given you.... ALSO - this steals a historic comeback from Drew Brees against one of the leagues top-defense. Comeback drives will no longer go towards a qbs record with this crap.

....side note if anyone saw the roughing the passer on Big Ben when he was hit from behind and simultaneously connected with a fore-arm to the face from the defender in front of him. Not sure if the NFL thinks we're idiots, but guess what... the NFL's Andrew Pererra guru is a joke and we know it. The NFL must think they can trick us by dressing up an old guy in a suite and telling us what's right and wrong. It is very clear that Commentators calling the game were recently instructed to start agreeing with officials... Just add it to the list of NFL frustrations.

I guess Jon Gruden didn't get the email that instructed him to blindly agree with the zebras nor did his play by play guy SM.

The kicker is often *not* the smallest guy on the field.

Anyway, I like the new rule only insofar as it takes an automatic play which wasted everyone's time and turned into a "let's see what happens" kind of play, which is at least a bit more interesting.

Last night Al Michaels said the longer extra points are still made 95% of the time...but it's better than it was.

What makes you think the Saints would have won yesterday under the old rules? The kick still would have been blocked and you'd have overtime. The defensive special teams made an extraordinary play - and this is why you have every play count.

I don't think the kick would have been blocked from that close is why I said that. And is it me or are there NO scary good D anymore in the NFL? I can't think of one teams D that makes me say "wow they can win the game"

I thought the most interesting aspect, that I have witnessed to this point, of the longer XP came into play during last nights NE/Sea game. Carroll elected to go for 2 up 7 points rather than kick the XP and go up 8. That tells me he would rather have NE attempt a game tying XP than go for a 2 point conversion. I actually like that decision, it was an interesting one for sure...

Edited by ricojes

I think the intent of the longer kick was to encourage teams to go for 2 more often. Wasn't it?

With that being the intent, it might be better if they just did away with the kick entirely and made everyone go for it every time.

I don't disagree. The idea is to entertain the fans.

Seeing if a team can put it in the end zone or if the D can make a successful stand is way more interesting than a kick attempt from any distance!

I hardly watched any football yesterday. Started to watch the Dallas/Pitt game but after 5 commercial breaks in the first 20 min, I found myself doing something else. Same with the Pats/Hawks game. I watched probably only the last 10 minutes. Starting to really not care any more.

The NFL is becoming more like the WWE every year. I would like to see Jon Gruden take over the officiating and rules committee. We need to let the players play. Bills Goal - Super Bowl, Go Bills!

John Gruden's voice sounds a lot like Warner Wolf's. I really liked Warner, when I lived in N VA in the 70's. Also enjoyed him on the Imus program, till Imus let him go.