What to do at Right Tackle?

Bocephuz

I think you overestimate the Bills talent and underestimate the importance of QB play in getting the most out of players.

No.....this Bills roster is talented.

They've had playoff level talent.....top 12......for about 5 years running now.

Quarterback play has been an issue but getting production from that position isn't only about the player.

The coaching has been consistently substandard.

I am also a big believer that a team with a deeply ingrained losing culture often needs to develop an overwhelming amount of talent to force their way into the equation.

The Bills are always a couple pieces short of that level but if you really look closely at some of the better teams in the league they are usually getting a ton of production from modest "nobody" kind of talents filling the gaps in between their star players.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarterback play has been an issue but getting production from that position isn't only about the player.

I am also a big believer that a team with a deeply ingrained losing culture often needs to develop an overwhelming amount of talent to force their way into the equation.

The Bills are always a couple pieces short of that level but if you really look closely at some of the better teams in the league they are usually getting a ton of production from modest "nobody" kind of talents filling the gaps in between their star players.

I agree with that. Maybe not a full 5 years, but yes, we should be getting more out of it. Having Tyrod is a step up, so that helps if he can play like he did in Seattle and we can get healthy (and stay eligible). I fear the injuries get Rex more time, but maybe that's worth one more year.

I agree with that. Maybe not a full 5 years, but yes, we should be getting more out of it. Having Tyrod is a step up, so that helps if he can play like he did in Seattle and we can get healthy (and stay eligible). I fear the injuries get Rex more time, but maybe that's worth one more year.

I really want Tyrod to be good..........but I will believe he can play consistently like he did Monday night when I see it.

I'm not comparing his play to Rob Johnson but when engaged Rojo could really elevate his game.....vs Flutie in SD was a CLASSIC battle, for example......but most of the time he was just an uninspired performer.

The Tyrod we saw Monday night seemed a lot more fired up than normal. Hopefully it's a corner he's turning but it wouldn't surprise me if it's back to the modest, uneven performances.

I'd say they certainly have for the last 3. There was some element of transition the first Marrone year when they churned the bottom half of the roster quite a lot and lost some vet depth but the final two Chan years I think they were right there talent wise as well (maybe not quite top 12 but certainly top 16 or so and good enough to do better than 12-20).

Basically 5 of the last 6 years they should have been in the hunt for me and qe have actually been in the hunt once in that period.

I agree with you on Tyrod too. If we get a handful more Seattle performances out of him then I am fine with us at least riding him and his contract for a couple of seasons.

Will have to see on TT, but I hope he turned a corner. That kind of performance is what I was hoping and expecting to see out of him this year. Seemed like he saw a little more of the field than usual on Monday, but still left a lot of guys open. Maybe the solution is a shorter OL?

As for the OP, we definitely need to get some help to whoever is playing the position after the bye week. Would love to see a little more TE help, maybe a few plays designed to take advantage of overeager defenders.

Henderson has the Dareus-Karlos 'pot is more important than my career' disease. I don't buy the medical necessity argument he gave for a split second. There are plenty of prescription drugs to ease the pain allowed by the NFL.

We have to draft guys that put their career before a buzz.

Every time I see suggestions moving Glenn to RT

YOU DONT PUT YOUR BEST OL ANYWHERE BUT LT......and Glenn has been owning that position

christ

Yes, plus you don't pay a RT LT money

And Kujo at LT..................seriously? 4 starts in 3 years

Whaley doesn't put a premium on lineman, and is why he didn't draft a RT last yr and said guards aren't valuable.

This is totally demented. In the previous two drafts he took at least 4 I can think of off hand. And when did he ever say that "guards aren't valuable"?

Well, I follow the belief system that you build a winner starting with the big guys on the line of scrimmage. So, I am okay with paying more money for linemen than most are. If you want to be dominant you have to have a great offensive line or a quarterback like Tom Brady. I don't think there are many Tom Brady's out there, so gimme a great line.

Then run the ball by committee - any back will do if your line is good enough. It has been proven again and again and again.

The old maxim about building a football team was that you did it "from front to back, from inside to outside." Which is pretty much what I think you're saying, and it's something I agree with.

Fwiw........the Seahawks are fielding an utter sh*t show on the OL.......but they are winning.

When a coaching staff does it's job well and gets a team on the same page they can create synergy.

The Bills are traditionally a team that gets LESS than the sum of it's parts.

However, that bad line also caused some injuries to Russell Wilson that he managed to play through and overcome. He may just suffer an injury he can't overcome and be lost for some games or the rest of the year. The Seahawks are 5-2-1 and have played mostly bad teams along the way. In order to actually compete in the playoffs and SB they will need to upgrade that line.

That right side of the Bills line is still very suspect and things could get really bad with no Eric Woods at center. The Bills should have addressed RT and WR in the 2016 draft. Alas, they needed to draft for the defense to help Ryan build his 3-4 and this next draft they will probably need to go CB, S with those first two picks.

The Cowboys are running the same style of run first offense with a rookie QB and the best O-line in the league with solid backup depth for that line. That Dallas O-line, run game is not only allowing that rookie QB to develop quickly, build the best run game in the league. It's also helping the defense stay fresh and on the bench watching the run game control the clock. Tyrod Taylor should have an offense as good to play in.

Every time I see suggestions moving Glenn to RT

YOU DONT PUT YOUR BEST OL ANYWHERE BUT LT......and Glenn has been owning that position

christ

Glenn can own RT and if Kujo is an upgrade on Mills and can man LT like he was earlier this year, then you have something goin. In todays game LT get the bucks but RT are facing some of the best rushers in the game as well.

Yes, plus you don't pay a RT LT money

And Kujo at LT..................seriously? 4 starts in 3 years

I don't agree with moving Glenn to RT but the "you don't pay LT money for someone to play RT" argument doesn't hold any water .... the suggestion is for the rest of this season only, and the money paid to Glenn is already a sunk cost so would have zero bearing on the position he plays

The argument WOULD have bearing going into next year if we planned on playing Glenn at RT all year and investing more money on the LT spot...but that's not the case here. During a season if you have, say 20 million dollars invested across your front five, the actual spot they play is immaterial

Just tired of hearing that argument, Glenn should and will stay at LT

I think we need to play our best 5 and if that means moving Glenn to RT so be it. We should all be more concerned about who plays center. Wood is the offensive line leader and blocking scheme caller. There was a reason why Tyrod was so concerned about him. The center and QB are a tandem. Thank goodness they two weeks to figure out the center. One other thing to keep in mind folks is that the Bills do a lot of shifts with their lineman. It may not matter where you play the tackles.