gr8billsfan

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Provided it isn't unnecessary roughness, and well it was...15 yards and a 1st down...

Article 6. Unnecessary Roughness

There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

1. unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who (1) is out of the play or (2) should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead;

yes, why is this so difficult to gather?

yes, why is this so difficult to gather?

because it doesn't fit the Hawks fans agenda...

If you also really look at it, it is close to a judgement call if TT was out of the pocket or not. Additionally, the NFL this year is calling this penalty more as a way to protect defenseless players. A WR running is route and getting blasted by Sherman is truly a defenseless player since the play is still developing and the QB is attempting to pass the ball.

Provided it isn't unnecessary roughness, and well it was...15 yards and a 1st down...

First you said it was "defenseless player rule". Then TT was "standing on the edge of the tackle box". Now your going to move the goal posts to "unnecessary roughness". Whatever.

I find this hard to believe. So you're saying on rollouts, bootlegs, scrambles, etc. as soon as the QB leaves the pocket you can just start blasting WR's? I don't think so

It doesn't mater what you think. The rule says:

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

First you said it was "defenseless player rule". Then TT was "standing on the edge of the tackle box". Now your going to move the goal posts to "unnecessary roughness". Whatever.

It doesn't mater what you think. The rule says:

If you can't comprehend article 2, #5 then I'm not sure what to tell you. Shoulda been a penalty six ways to Sunday.

If you can't comprehend article 2, #5 then I'm not sure what to tell you. Shoulda been a penalty six ways to Sunday.

Article 2. Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air

Ball wasn't in the air. Nice try sparky.

Anytime one of my buddies would tell me that the NFL was rigged, i would always shake it off and tell them, come on dude with your conspiracy theories.

I know after watching YEARS of Buffalo Bills football games, that the refs actually DO favor the Patriots when we play them (for the majority of the times played), but i still never believed that the whole NFL was rigged.

I'm still not gonna say that it's rigged, but not calling a roughing the kicker when it happened 10 feet away from the ref in his DIRECT line of sight, definitely has me scratching my head. And i shave my head so i have proof that i actually scratched it.

I never believed in games being rigged until tonight. If the Bills won or lost by less than 6 points, Vegas woulda lost on the game. Big (sharp) money came in hard on Seattle -6. Vegas was going to lose big money if the Bills covered the 6. That FG screw up was huge, as was the no call on the last play of the game.

Article 2. Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air

Ball wasn't in the air. Nice try sparky.

Sorry, it's article 6, my bad. Obviously I couldn't comprehend reading that post....sparky.

Edited by Bubba Gump

Refs are and have been a joke for a long time. NFL needs full time officiating from the booth. Why the F not??? Belichick is right, every play should be reviewable. They should have a full time crew reviewing plays in real time. That is the solution. It wouldn't slow the game down, it would speed it up. So the morons on the field don't have to have a 5 min discussion on something we can see on tv in 15 seconds. It's a freaking joke.

Agreed. This isn't some 50+ game season that allows for more room to recover from a loss handed to a team by the "officials".

How about the refs in the Sunday night Raiders/Broncos game? Some of those PI calls against the Denver DBs were pretty weak. I liked it better when the WRs and DBs could battle for the ball, man-to-man.

Weren't there like three in a row at the end of the game where the Denver DBs were just throwing their arms up, like we surrender?

I never believed in games being rigged until tonight. If the Bills won or lost by less than 6 points, Vegas woulda lost on the game. Big (sharp) money came in hard on Seattle -6. Vegas was going to lose big money if the Bills covered the 6. That FG screw up was huge, as was the no call on the last play of the game.

Looks like the bookies really cleaned up, no matter who you bet on, you lost, right?

Please, please, please send this in to the sports stations..... that's just beautiful.

I do this from my phone, I can't post or add half of the **** I want to. There is a slow motion vid of Sherman on the Carpenter kick. Sherman slows up when he hears the whistle and everyone else gives up, but then he picks up speed and runs at Carp. He totally knew what he was doing. Guy is a scumbag. Trying to blame it on Carp still attempting the FG. Kickers always try the kick, even when the other coaches try to freeze them.

Can't do it from my phone, but it is so obvious that he held up for a split sec, like he heard the whistle, then after the o-lineman waved an arm at him, he took off full speed again at Carp. Everyone gave up on the play, as he did for just a sec, but then figured he had a free shot and he took it. Don't know if it's just me, but I saw him hesitate and then make up his mind that he was gonna take a shot at Carp. Hope someone can post the slow-mo of that play.

Can someone tell me why he would get fined for stating the obvious? Are NFL players not allowed to voice opinions based on the ****ty facts?

I think it was a joke about how it would coincide with the unfairness theme.

He should be pissed. They stole this game from us.

Re the subject of this thread: Ref inconsistency and downright incompetency has been going on for at least the past 10 years, probably longer. Holding calls and Pass Interference calls are where you see it on full display every weekend, every game. It is very frustrating for sure.

If this is true it's a stupid rule. Also he smashed Powell down

right in front of the ref. To me that was unnessary for him to do that. There is a ref standing right in front of it. It should have been a personal foul unnessary ruffness. The refs are supposed to protect the recievers. Are you telling me it's ok to tackle or smash down recievers when the a QB is out of the pocket.

If that's the case then the NFL has a serious problem on there hands

Read this and see the video. I am more then upset

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/11/8/13560260/richard-sherman-bills-illegal-contact-walter-powell

How about when McCoy stepped both feet out of bounds and then caught the ball?

Refs atrocious.

There's missed calls in the speed of the moment and then there's what happened to Carp. You can't possibly compare the two

Walt Anderson says the hit didn't warrant a penalty. Yet the hit was so bad that it knocked our kicker out of the game. Duh. Then as for them standing over the ball and not bumping the play clock: "oh that was probably my fault." Gee, you think?????

"Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver."

That would mean a defender could tackle any receiver once the QB is outside the pocket. Something seems off there.

It didn't matter in the long run because Taylor rolled way left and Powell was on the far side of the field.

This is one reason why the game sucks. Honestly if it wasn't for my lifelong history, memories etc with the Bills - I would probably never watch this sport anymore. This is just so unacceptable on so many levels I don't even know where to begin...

This is so well written and basically where I'm at as well.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/08/richard-shermans-hit-walt-powell-wasnt-penalty-bills-seahawks/

I've seen this explanation twice and I still don't get it. Does this mean that any time a QB is out of the pocket, every receiver downfield can be straight up tackles?

I feel like this can't possibly be right and that I've seen many illegal contact penalties before when players roll out.

Is this one of those rules that changed around scrambling QB's and being a runner?

All I can think is that they are trying to say that Sherman was blocking as TT was in "run" mode.

No matter what, that's a ridiculous rule.

Delete this. I didnt see the other thread somehow.

Delete this. I didn't see the other thread somehow.

That would mean a defender could tackle any receiver once the QB is outside the pocket. Something seems off there.

no that doesn't mean you can tackle a receiver. That means you can lower your shoulder and hit him to defend yourself which is what they are saying happened. Unfortunately, it appears Sherman was the one initiating the contact on a defenseless receiver. Should have been a penalty

Edited by kdiggz

Notice how Woods is open for the game winning score. Not for long and it was an open then closed small window.

The good QBs zip that ball in there with anticipation and then no one is talking about Powell.

It demonstrates Tyrod's weaknesses to a "T" and why it is tough to win certain types of games with a QB like that.

Regarding the foul: the funny thing is Sherman hit Powell before Tyrod was at the outer limit of his scramble, so he was not as far "out of the pocket" as some would suggest at the time of contact.

Secondly, Sherman did not look in that direction to see if Tyrod had thrown the ball or clearly left the pocket. I think he just decided to step up and pancake Powell, and let the chips fall where they may.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/08/richard-shermans-hit-walt-powell-wasnt-penalty-bills-seahawks/

I've seen this explanation twice and I still don't get it. Does this mean that any time a QB is out of the pocket, every receiver downfield can be straight up tackles?

I feel like this can't possibly be right and that I've seen many illegal contact penalties before when players roll out.

Is this one of those rules that changed around scrambling QB's and being a runner?

All I can think is that they are trying to say that Sherman was blocking as TT was in "run" mode.

No matter what, that's a ridiculous rule.

Cwtz2coUAAAK7JH.jpg

This is the rule, all it means is illegal contact can't be called. The reason for this is because a defender, once the QB leaves the pocket, is not award if the WR is a blocker or receiver. Pass interference can still be called, defensive holding can still be called. And on this play something like hitting a defenceless player might be able to be called, seeing as Powell is away from the play.