What's Cardale Jones up to?

Commish

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see C. Jones as a WR this year. Since we don't have any, and he played the position in college, why not give him a shot. Also, would be a great way to further learn the QB position. Could split his time between QB and WR rooms during the week, and actually play on gameday. Nothing can replicate game action.

he didn't play WR at any level

I'd like to see C. Jones as a WR this year. Since we don't have any, and he played the position in college, why not give him a shot. Also, would be a great way to further learn the QB position. Could split his time between QB and WR rooms during the week, and actually play on gameday. Nothing can replicate game action.

Hes never played WR and is way too fat to run routes.

Based on his college tape, I'd put the odds at 5%

I think he'll get his chance but, with the combination of his skill set and the coaching we have at our disposal, I really doubt the kid is going to amount to anything.

Bloke,

I pretty much always respect your opinion on things

I am curious why you would form a opinion when there is so little college tape to even evaluate. In the little he has he made plays.

He is raw....which is why he is sitting...the bills did not even consider making him the number 2 over EJ

Spell it out for me. I know what you bolded, I'm just at a loss why you asked if I was being sarcastic.

Because while his college tape might show flaws in his mechanics, the rest of it is a sizzle reel of him making mince meat out of the best programs in the highest profile contests imaginable.

And while he might lack in some skills, others--size, speed, athleticism, arm strength--are as good or better than virtually every other NFL QB. I'm not saying he's without flaw, but you can't just gloss over the part where he has also elite level skills that don't come around too often.

Because while his college tape might show flaws in his mechanics, the rest of it is a sizzle reel of him making mince meat out of the best programs in the highest profile contests imaginable.

And while he might lack in some skills, others--size, speed, athleticism, arm strength--are as good or better than virtually every other NFL QB. I'm not saying he's without flaw, but you can't just gloss over the part where he has also elite level skills that don't come around too often.

I feel that there is definately something to work with there

Bloke,

I pretty much always respect your opinion on things

I am curious why you would form a opinion when there is so little college tape to even evaluate. In the little he has he made plays.

He is raw....which is why he is sitting...the bills did not even consider making him the number 2 over EJ

Making plays is all well and good. I gave the kid credit for that run in 2014. I was blown away by him leading OSU the way he did. Ticks the boxes for leadership and confidence.

I just think that he's already proven that he's a fundamentally inaccurate passer, especially on the type of routes that he's expected to be good/great at in the NFL. He's got the plus points of being really big, durable with a cannon for an arm. I just don't see an NFL QB in there in the slightest. What they want to cultivate with him, I'm not sure he has to work with already.

When you lack basic accuracy, it's hard to be an NFL quarterback. It's that simple.

Blokes evaluates a lot of college QBs and he doesn't need me to talk for him, but he values fundamentals and that is his method of evaluating. Look at the Quarterbacks he values highly. He likes guys who don't have a load of footwork issues to tidy up, who are comfortable in the pocket, accurate and can get through progressions.

So size, athleticism and speed he doesn't value as highly as you do.

There is something to the point that Quarterbacks with bad fundamentals rarely get to the NFL level then suddenly learn them - my slight push back on that would be that there are Quarterbacks with non traditional fundamentals who make it work consistently in the NFL. The question for me is more is your process and your action one that is consistent and repeatable.

Making plays is all well and good. I gave the kid credit for that run in 2014. I was blown away by him leading OSU the way he did. Ticks the boxes for leadership and confidence.

I just think that he's already proven that he's a fundamentally inaccurate passer, especially on the type of routes that he's expected to be good/great at in the NFL. He's got the plus points of being really big, durable with a cannon for an arm. I just don't see an NFL QB in there in the slightest. What they want to cultivate with him, I'm not sure he has to work with already.

When you lack basic accuracy, it's hard to be an NFL quarterback. It's that simple.

I think accuracy can be learned. Especially when your job now is to learn it. He's not having to game plan, he's learning to be a QB.

Again, I'm not suggesting it will happen. I'm leaving open the possibility that if he's left to develop over two years, there could be something there.

I feel that there is definately something to work with the

than virtually every NFL QB, except our back-up.

Weight: 249lbs

Height: 6' 5

40 yd dash: 4.81

STRENGTHS

Great size to see over offensive line and bulk to withstand NFL hits. Pocket passer with as much arm as you need. Generates very good velocity without having to get feet set. Can rip it into tight quarters, challenge field-­side cornerbacks and attack safeties over the top. Almost 11 percent of his pass attempts were 20-plus yard completions. Completed 59 percent of intermediate throws and 41 percent of deep throws. Touch and ball placement on long ball is pro caliber. Can drop feathery, touch throws on fade routes. Has size, athleticism and toughness to call his own number in run game and is a chain mover as a scrambler. Interceptions generally due to overthrows and poor timing over bad decision­-making. Though not yet a strength, did show ability to get through progressions and find third option.

Weight 238lbs

Height: 6' 5

40 yd dash: 4.65

STRENGTHS

Physically imposing passer. Throws from the shotgun formation quite often, but is also effective on play action. Flashes the velocity to stretch the field and throw in tight spaces between defenders and on the sideline. Displays good touch on throws to each level of the field, finds receivers between defenders and drop passes over their head. Good athlete with the mobility to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and take advantage of openings to pick up first downs with his feet. Quick release, though it often looks as though he's throwing darts on shorter throws. Intelligent, high character team leader.

OK....but two things

- He didnt play a lot of college football.....so it is hard to evaluate progression?

- Footwork issues lead to inaccuracy.....you could see his mechanics are raw when he played in the preseason the way he was throwing off his back foot a lot

I just think that he might be a bit of a unique situation. And with qbs are so hard to find as it is....its a bit out of the box thinking

I think accuracy can be learned. Especially when your job now is to learn it. He's not having to game plan, he's learning to be a QB.

Again, I'm not suggesting it will happen. I'm leaving open the possibility that if he's left to develop over two years, there could be something there.

I want to make it clear that I actually liked the pick. Because of all the positives you pointed out earlier, if he pans out with accuracy and conceptual understanding, his ceiling is through the roof. If you're taking a long shot, I'm taking a guy like Cardale over a Kevin Hogan or a Cody Kessler.

I do subscribe to the idea that you can do certain things to aid the throwing process. Completely different sport but playing cricket as a kid, I had to change my bowling action slightly a few times due to injury. Where I ended up with my action actually made me more accurate and efficient. I'm not sure the principle applies 100% to football but I'm definitely happy to consider it a possibility.

I said pre-draft that I felt his inexperience and lack of exposure to different defenses and schemes hampered him as a prospect. There's areas that he can grow but I think it's wise to enter this process with zero expectation. The NFL doesn't guarantee progression. I just hope he takes his craft seriously, otherwise he's got no chance.

OK....but two things

- He didnt play a lot of college football.....so it is hard to evaluate progression?

- Footwork issues lead to inaccuracy.....you could see his mechanics are raw when he played in the preseason the way he was throwing off his back foot a lot

I just think that he might be a bit of a unique situation. And with qbs are so hard to find as it is....its a bit out of the box thinking

It is a bit of a unique situation - that bit is almost certainly true. I think if it works out it will because of the "it" factor the Big Cat has referred to. Some guys just manage to find a way despite a lot of reasons why they shouldn't.

It is a bit of a unique situation - that bit is almost certainly true. I think if it works out it will because of the "it" factor the Big Cat has referred to. Some guys just manage to find a way despite a lot of reasons why they shouldn't.

And what's crazy is that the inverse is also true. See: Romo and the two guys on our roster now. To a lesser extent Dalton.

It's such a weird, elusive thing. But make no mistake, it's real.

And what's crazy is that the inverse is also true. See: Romo and the two guys on our roster now. To a lesser extent Dalton.

It's such a weird, elusive thing. But make no mistake, it's real.

romo has won over 60% of his starts.... and has had 4th quarter comebacks in an obscene percentage of those. i think your evaluation of "it" might be a bit weird and perhaps unreal.