Pats trade Jamie Collins

It doesn't matter how much money he gets. This is based on how many free agents the Browns lost last year. They are predicting the NFL will give them an end-of-the-third-round compensatory pick in the 2017 draft. If the NFL does not, the ESPN article says that NE will get a fourth round pick. The article does not list a year, but the inference is 2017.

It's entirely based on how much money he gets, and how much he gets in relation to other free agents. There are about 5 UFAs poised to get more money than him next year. The Browns (or any team) need to have a net loss in FA to be eligible for comp picks.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more like a 4th, I doubt he gets the money to make him worth a 3rd round pick. Plus they wouldn't get the pick until 2018. The Browns will probably finish with the worst record, so it will be the 1st pick in the 3rd round this year. Big difference between a 2017 high 3rd round pick and a 4th round comp pick in 2018.

Also as I and others note- it's possible they intend to gear up for a last run via FA and aren't banking on a net loss this year

It's entirely based on how much money he gets, and how much he gets in relation to other free agents. There are about 5 UFAs poised to get more money than him next year. The Browns (or any team) need to have a net loss in FA to be eligible for comp picks.

They are expected to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for Alex Mack last year. You never can confirm ahead of time, but those that know the most about how it works say that'll be a 3rd rounder. Either way the Browns will likely have the first pick and comp picks are at the end of the round so we're talking an handful of picks apart either way (very end of 3rd vs. very start of 4h...we're talking 3 or 4 picks apart at most and possibly 1 pick apart). Last year's first comp pick in the 3rd was (surpise!) the Pats at 97. 98 and 99 were also comp picks and pick 1 in the 4th was pick 100.

Either way it was a terrible trade for the Pats. Now you hear talk that he's somehow freelancing and destroying the defense...didn't hear that much of that before the trade. They're making a superbowl run this year and look like the favorites...this doesn't make sense....they would have gotten the 3rd round comp pick one year later (2018) anyway. Maybe they just see the next 3 years as the window and justify it that way....IDK

Odds are the Pats will be worse this year and notice if any injuries happen and the Browns will overpay on an extension and be limited in some way as a result (Browns may even fail to sign him lol). The main thing for the Browns is that if they fail to sign him they still get the comp pick next year. So in that sense it's not terrible...IF he's good and is serious about potentially extending.

Edited by dayman

My Pats fan friends say Collins won't "do his job" as expected in the Patriot way. They allege that the big run early by Gillislee was a blown assignment by Collins. That and his money demands made him expendable.

Judging by Collins recent tweets I don't think he's happy to be a Brown or looking forward to signing a deal there.

Is also worth noting the front office connection to Belichick inside the Browns. So it seems like if you get a job after working for the Pats, you owe the Hoodie.

Your friends just reiterating what people are saying. For example Lombardi pointed to that run as Collins freelancing and not doing his job. (I don't know and or remember and I am. It going back to look cus I'm to lazy! Lol) simple fact is between Collins,Hightower, Sheard, and Butler someone was not being resigned. I hope this means the other 3 hopefully would be resigned.

Traded to browns for third round pick

What the hell Cleveland... this is why you are a terrible franchise. Thanks for feeding the Patriots with your terrible decision making. All these garbage teams giving picks to the Pats makes me sick.

What the hell Cleveland... this is why you are a terrible franchise. Thanks for feeding the Patriots with your terrible decision making. All these garbage teams giving picks to the Pats makes me sick.

Cleveland dominated this trade...this is a seriously suspect trade on the Pats side of things. Remember, all this trade gained for the Pats was accelerate and guarantee a 3rd round comp pick for Collins (he was almost certain to warrant a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 for them anyway). What it lost was the most talented player on their defense for the rest of the year when it looks like they are making a strong superbowl run. Even if he didn't "do his job," he should have been benched and used for depth/injury-security.

Any non-brainwashed Pats fan should admit this was a mistake.

On the Browns' end of things...whatever. They will be rebuilding this offseason and next. If they don't resign him they get the 3rd round comp pick for losing him in 2018. Meanwhile they can evaluate him closely this year and have the inside track to get him via extension if they can reach a price point. He's also probably the most talented player on the entire team at this time...regardless of occasional "freelancing"...

Edited by dayman

Cleveland dominated this trade...this is a seriously suspect trade on the Pats side of things. Remember, all this trade gained for the Pats was accelerate and guarantee a 3rd round comp pick for Collins (he was almost certain to warrant a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 for them anyway). What it lost was the most talented player on their defense for the rest of the year when it looks like they are making a strong superbowl run. Even if he didn't "do his job," he should have been benched and used for depth/injury-security.

On the Browns' end of things...whatever. They will be rebuilding this offseason and next. If they don't resign him they get the 3rd round comp pick for losing him in 2018. Meanwhile they can evaluate him closely this year and have the inside track to get him via extension if they can reach a price point. He's also probably the most talented player on the entire team at this time...regardless of occasional "freelancing"...

First he is not the most talented player on the defense, that goes to his sidekick Hightower followed by Butler. He is either next or right after Sheard. So top 4.

The trade doesn't make must sense but we have learned to trust BB as he is usually right, not always but 4 Lombardis win you a lot of leeway.

First he is not the most talented player on the defense, that goes to his sidekick Hightower followed by Butler. He is either next or right after Sheard. So top 4.

The trade doesn't make must sense but we have learned to trust BB as he is usually right, not always but 4 Lombardis win you a lot of leeway.

I'd say McCourty is better than both of them...he helps make Butler look a lot better than he really is.

Edited by matter2003

I'd say McCourty is better than both of them...he helps make Butler look a lot better than he really is.

That's very true, I forgot about him. The 3 I mentioned are also FA at the end of the year and with what was reported as Collins asking price there was no way you were sighting them as well. Now hopefully they can sign all of them.

I won't be surprised to see Collins' play and stock free fall like he stepped into an empty elevator shaft.

Unless they planned on being active in Free agency this year. In which case the comp pick of losing collins could be offset by acquiring say Jeffrey or something

Edited by dneveu

@sn_nfl

Jamie Collins didn't play hard for Patriots, former coach says http://dlvr.it/MZFgdr

CwLn_EGUEAAcaRf.jpg

@JennyVrentas

Many opposing coaches viewed Collins as the best player on Pats defense. Bill Belichick knows how to send a message: https://t.co/dWiyPESxXQ

@RapSheet

#Browns will look to pay LB Jamie Collins & my understanding is he’s looking to eclipse Luke Kuechly ($12M per). Views himself as a hybrid.