Torrey Smith on the block

Reed83HOF

I get that. Not can you tell me that people are actually scared of TT arm? What do you hear opposing coaches talk about when they talk about Taylor?

Rhythm passer, disrupt routes at the LOS to mess with his timing. Force him to go deep which is low percentage. Stack 8 and shade the safety to the deep side, use stunts to generate pressure and use the ends to maintain contain on the outside. Throws to the sideline a lot because timing/chemistry isn't as important. Doesn't trust his eyes. Doesn't trust his receivers.

Solid arm strength, very dangerous on the run. Oh and he's short with a relatively low release point - get hands in his face.

Edited by dneveu

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is most likely why Salas won the job. QBs like a guy who gets open, and is where you want him to be when you want to throw the ball. Precision in routes is important because the throw is the same every time.

Thank you I am not as opposed to trading for a WR right now, but I want to trade for a WR that is needed, not one that is just there an available.

Without Woods, Sammy (still not the best route runner but precise enough) and Salas healthy there is now pure route runners

Good post, and I can't disagree. I still think SMith is a lot better player than Hunter, and the team needs an upgrade. Probably more importantly, they need another WR who is a decent NFL player. They are short of those at present. Re Wright, three questions: a) why isn't he starting; b) why have his numbers dropped off; and c) why would the Titans trade a capable WR given that they're one game out of first place, and the team in front of them is bad?

I agree. I like Wright and think he'd be good here, but I don't like making a trade at this point. If the chemistry isn't there it just doesn't work. You don't see a ton of NFL trades mid-season because of playbooks. It takes a few games to get a feel for your teammates in Hockey/Basketball. Baseball is the same no matter what team you're on. Footballs a whole different game.

Thank you I am not as opposed to trading for a WR right now, but I want to trade for a WR that is needed, not one that is just there an available.

Without Woods, Sammy (still not the best route runner but precise enough) and Salas healthy there is now pure route runners

Part of why edelman is so good is that he and brady think the same. He knows where he's going on the option route every single time.

Good post, and I can't disagree. I still think SMith is a lot better player than Hunter, and the team needs an upgrade. Probably more importantly, they need another WR who is a decent NFL player. They are short of those at present. Re Wright, three questions: a) why isn't he starting; b) why have his numbers dropped off; and c) why would the Titans trade a capable WR given that they're one game out of first place, and the team in front of them is bad?

a. He is starting he is healthy now

b. Missed two games with health, and well Mariotta and that passing game are really bad right now.

c. I don't think they would, unless the offer was good enough, they are a run first team as well so maybe they can see getting value for a WR that they are not using (very similar to the Bills in that respect)

But if you want to see Taylor be the best version of that passing Taylor he is you need to look for Precision Route runners.

Another one not to laugh at, and would greatly help Taylor stop the regression. Eddie Royal

a. He is starting he is healthy now

b. Missed two games with health, and well Mariotta and that passing game are really bad right now.

c. I don't think they would, unless the offer was good enough, they are a run first team as well so maybe they can see getting value for a WR that they are not using (very similar to the Bills in that respect)

But if you want to see Taylor be the best version of that passing Taylor he is you need to look for Precision Route runners.

Another one not to laugh at, and would greatly help Taylor stop the regression. Eddie Royal

Given this, I see no reason why the Titans, who really do have a chance, would ever trade him.

I'm not sure that this is the time or the place but I really liked the idea of drafting Michael Thomas. WR was a need before losing your 1st 4!!

its really glaring, especially now, that he could have been a home run 2nd rd pick. Saints picked before us but we could have traded up, Doug gave up two 4ths to take Reggie. Edited by YoloinOhio

its really glaring, especially now, that he could have been a home run 2nd rd pick. Saints picked before us but we could have traded up, Doug gave up two 4ths to take Reggie.

He would have got hurt at SJF

Given this, I see no reason why the Titans, who really do have a chance, would ever trade him.

They might not, But I would make the call he is in the final year of his deal. So those are the types of players you might be able to get off someones hands.

Eddie Royal is another one, similar mold, not as fast anymore but runs nice routes. Also blocks enough.

Jeremy Kerley is another, good route runner, questionable hands though, can also play Teams.

When I look for someone to trade for I am looking at final year of deal or 1 year left. Anything more than that the compensation price will go up.

I can get a rental type player (final year of deal) for maybe a 5th. But key is there has to be some relationship with the Offense being run, so it is not a slow pickup for the new player. So in that respect Kerley might be the best option.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter because this is the NFL and nobody gets traded at deadline day but they will talk about it right up until then. The most inactive Deadline day in sports, and I also can understand why with all the different schemes, terminology and such.

I better leave the WR discussion alone for awhile, don't want to be "crusading" against Torrey Smith LMAO

Edited by MAJBobby

I can't see any of MAJBobby's posts, but I'm going to assume he's turned into this in a TT bashing discussion.

Maybe you should might learn something

Not to mention pretty spineless to call me out when you know you cant see what I am going to say in response. Grow up. You ignored me, so you don't have to see what I post. Don't call me out.

Edited by MAJBobby

I really liked Torrey Smith when he was with Baltimore and think he would be a great addition to our team.

We HAVE to do something.....No Sammy....Goodwin in concussion protocol.....I like Hunter and I think we might something there.....Tate was not brought here to be a wide receiver for us......

If they trusted Dez he would already be called up.

its really glaring, especially now, that he could have been a home run 2nd rd pick. Saints picked before us but we could have traded up, Doug gave up two 4ths to take Reggie.

They probably over-fixed their defense at the expense of roster building.

Drafting for need tends to keep you always playing from behind.

Now they will probably end up just letting Zach and/or Preston Brown go in FA over the next two seasons when they would have made reasonably priced re-signs while they got value at other positions from those 3 picks they utilitzed on Ragnuts.

What you need to do as an organization is find those $12M-$20M per year players in the first couple rounds so you don't have to fork out $100M deals to another teams warty star player in FA to get one.

They probably over-fixed their defense at the expense of roster building.

Drafting for need tends to keep you always playing from behind.

Now they will probably end up just letting Zach and/or Preston Brown go in FA over the next two seasons when they would have made reasonably priced re-signs while they got value at other positions from those 3 picks they utilitzed on Ragnuts.

What you need to do as an organization is find those $12M-$20M per year players in the first couple rounds so you don't have to fork out $100M deals to another teams warty star player in FA to get one.

As evidence by?

As evidence by?

Cautionary example would be Jabari Greer.

Bills used a first round pick on Leodis McKelvin in 2008 and subsequently let the blossoming bargain Greer walk in free agency the following winter because they had T McGee and the heir apparent to the #1 CB job in hand with Leodis.

That turned out to be more of a disaster scenario than I would project with Ragnuts........Greer kept improving and became a legit #1 CB on some very good teams in NOLA........Leodis finally started playing adequately in year 6 of his career.

Bills used a first round pick on Leodis McKelvin in 2008 and subsequently let the blossoming bargain Greer walk in free agency the following winter because they had T McGee and the heir apparent to the #1 CB job in hand with Leodis.

That turned out to be more of a disaster scenario than I would project with Ragnuts........Greer kept improving and became a legit #1 CB on some very good teams in NOLA........Leodis finally started playing adequately in year 6 of his career.

I'm wondering when you'll let Pegula out of Wilson's doghouse?

Jabari Greer? You're serious with that ****?

Jabari Greer? You're serious with that ****?

I am buying that from Badol. Greer was fantastic in a Saints uniform. He was a very important player on some good teams including a Super Bowl title. He may very well have been their best corner. Injuries derailed him later on but he was very good in NOLA.

I'm wondering when you'll let Pegula out of Wilson's doghouse?

That's not Wilson......that's the NFL.

But it's duly noted that you guys think Ragnuts will be a backup to or be forced to beat out Brown and Brown for a job for the next 3-4 years.

It's simple personnel math and as I stated from the start of last offseason.......you can fill front 7 positions with modest talent in Rex D.

He undid himself in NY by over drafting front 7 defensive players........blame his GM's all you want but his fingerprints were all over their draft picks.

I've never been a Rex hater.......he can be excellent like in 2009, 2010 and 2013.......or he can be awful like 2014-2015........but the GM has gotta' keep him at arms length on draft day.