The "No Call" heard round the world - How to challenge

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they don't review a penalty on a turnover. Let's say there's an interception on a play with a missed pass interference / defensive holding call. They don't review the missed penalty, only if the defender completed the catch in bounds.

In order to review whether there is a turnover, you have to apply "ALL" NFL rules. As such, the replay official would make the following analysis:

1) Was there a turnover (on downs)? Yes

2) Was it a fumble? No

3) Was it an interception? No

4) What the hell was it? A WR had his right arm put in an arm bar by the CB.

5) Is an arm bar legal while covering a WR? No

6) Did the ref throw a flag for the arm bar? No

7) Why the hell didn't the ref throw a flag for the arm bar? Because he was scared Richard Sherman might jump up and down and B word about how unfair the NFL rules are.

8) Well, screw Richard Sherman, the pass fell incomplete because of an illegal arm bar. Therefore, there is no turnover on downs. Replay 4th down.

Utter nonsense. Replays of PI could simply be made one of the categories of calls subject to coaches' challenge under the current system. And I believe it should be extended to roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness calls, as well.

So what happens after the 2 minute warning, is the league reviewing every play for PI/roughing calls? Why not holding, which happens ever single play? Slippery slopes and all that....

I'd love to see the NFL figure out how to get better consistency. It's as if they need an official on the sideline watching the game feed real time with the ability to toss a flag

As fast as the replays are available, it's almost impossible to have someone get the clip, play it back and review the play (even once) before the next play happens. It would basically have to be something along the lines of a challenge ref where the ref on the sideline looks at the initial play and then challenges the refs call for more time to review the infraction.

Edited by The Wiz

In order to review whether there is a turnover, you have to apply "ALL" NFL rules. As such, the replay official would make the following analysis:

1) Was there a turnover (on downs)? Yes

2) Was it a fumble? No

3) Was it an interception? No

4) What the hell was it? A WR had his right arm put in an arm bar by the CB.

5) Is an arm bar legal while covering a WR? No

6) Did the ref throw a flag for the arm bar? No

7) Why the hell didn't the ref throw a flag for the arm bar? Because he was scared Richard Sherman might jump up and down and B word about how unfair the NFL rules are.

8) Well, screw Richard Sherman, the pass fell incomplete because of an illegal arm bar. Therefore, there is no turnover on downs. Replay 4th down.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing but I honestly can't tell anymore. Anyway, good luck with your understanding of the rules.

Edited by Captain Caveman

he can tackle him before the ball gets there, doesn't matter. That call can not be overturned.

Hoodie wants to change it to two challenges per game...and anything can be challenged..even calls like holding etc. Then this call could be challenged

All turnovers and scores should be automatic reviews. All other plays for any penalty should be reviewable. Limit of two is fine.

All turnovers and scores should be automatic reviews. All other plays for any penalty should be reviewable. Limit of two is fine.

Personally, I think they should include as reviewable any penalty that is 15 yards or longer.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing but I honestly can't tell anymore. Anyway, good luck with your understanding of the rules.

Not arguing. Still really pissed that the Seagulls were handed a win. Was trying to find a way to challenge this suspect no-call.

Yet ... you can use replay to challenge 12 men on the field, even if they were running off to the sideline. As far as penalties go, that is probably the least impactful penalty but you can challenge it. Sounds like a concession for Brady when they do the quick snap QB sneak just in case they don't make it.

I'd like to see PI just changed. Reduce it to 15 yards - if under 2 minutes - you get all the time back on the clock and the offending team is charged a team timeout if they have one and it is under 4 minutes or something like that..

So if its a big 40 yard play with like 40 seconds left and you grab him, you don't get 40 yards of field position - you get 15 and the same 40 seconds.

Wouldn't it suck if you had 1 timeout left in a 17-17 game and your corner got called for PI and you lost that timeout? Yes - yes it would. Hopefully discouraging people from doing it late in the game.

Edited by dneveu

Yet ... you can use replay to challenge 12 men on the field, even if they were running off to the sideline. As far as penalties go, that is probably the least impactful penalty but you can challenge it. Sounds like a concession for Brady when they do the quick snap QB sneak just in case they don't make it.

That's less of a judgement call than PI which is why I think it can be challenged. It's pretty clear from replay to see if a guy is on the field or not when the ball is snapped.

Not arguing. Still really pissed that the Seagulls were handed a win. Was trying to find a way to challenge this suspect no-call.

The existing rules do not allow pass interference to be challenged (either for a phantom or missed call) under any circumstances. If you're looking for a way to challenge it requires changing the rules to allow for judgement calls (at least some) to be challenged (whether it be on a turnover or on any other call.) Where would you draw the line? Do you want challenges for holding?

Edited by Captain Caveman

That's less of a judgement call than PI which is why I think it can be challenged. It's pretty clear from replay to see if a guy is on the field or not when the ball is snapped.

I understand the objective nature being the reason it's allowed. The reason I brought it up was there were a few posts about not being able to challenge a penalty ... I just wanted to say, 'yes, you can' and highlight how inconsequential it often is compared to holding or PI.