The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get your point. You mention all these great players the team has and then blame the QB. Everyone of those great players have missed games and some huge chuncks of the season. On top of that the imjuries have decimated the players the QB is supposed to get the ball to. TT has missed one snap all year. He is diving head first for first downs. Who is going to be a better option than Taylor? The only way Jones sees the field is as a TE. EJ crapped his chance away.

As for Rex and the defense. I hate his scheme. He should have kept Schwartz and just added some 46 and blitz concepts. But the pass rush is better and Gilmore has played two of his best games as a Bill since getting called out.

that's my point. Its so easy to blame the qb when it boils down to coaching. We can't expect everything to happen on the field. we need coaching to maximize us

Current Bills make the playoffs pipe dream scenario:

1) Bills lose to Oakland, beat Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Miami and the Jets (10-6)

2) Broncos lose to the Patriots and Chiefs (10-6)

3) Dolphins lose to the Ravens or Cardinals (LOL!!) Bills and in week 17, the Patriots have to play Brady to get home field from the Raiders and win (9-7)

4) Steelers lose to Bills and Giants or Ravens (9-7)

Destroyed by who? Every team in the AFC has weaknesses. Denver's offense doesnt scare anyone. The AFC North and Central winners will be lightweights. In fact making it to the playoffs will be harder than getting a first round win.

Miami is the scariest team not at the top right now. They can run and have a defense capable of not losing. They're not the best but they're very capable of playoff wins. New england is simply and again new england. Kc is going to get fanfare but they're not amazing and Miami would beat them.

If we win we are in good shape...One of Miami or Baltimore will then have same record as us. If the Giants can continue to win, then steelers also will be a game behind us with a game to play against us. ATL has been good at home and hope they can know the chiefs down and so should Green Bay.

If we beat Oakland, then we may be back in the game!

If we win we are in good shape...One of Miami or Baltimore will then have same record as us. If the Giants can continue to win, then steelers also will be a game behind us with a game to play against us. ATL has been good at home and hope they can know the chiefs down and so should Green Bay.

If we beat Oakland, then we may be back in the game!

If....

So a loss to Oakland hurts more then a loss to Pitt?

Not sure I understand that.

At this point every Loss will hurt as opposed to what analytics may tell us. The Bills have to find a way to come away a victory from the Coliseum.

At this point every Loss will hurt as opposed to what analytics may tell us. The Bills have to find a way to come away a victory from the Coliseum.

Yes but certain losses hurt more than others, which is why our playoff probability is influenced differently. Losing to Oakland particularly sucks because of some of the potential tiebreakers down the road (e.g., win-loss record in common games w/ Denver, KC). Same with Miami because they're a game ahead of us and would hold the tiebreaker if they sweep us. Pittsburgh could still very easily win the division and in that scenario their record against us doesn't matter.

So a loss to Oakland hurts more then a loss to Pitt?

Not sure I understand that.

The only thing I can think of is that the simulator has the AFCN going to Pittsburgh and that if Buffalo is 10-6 with Baltimore also at 10-6 that's bad for Buffalo? I'm really not following it.

Logic would say that you want to beat the team you're competing directly with for a wild card spot (Pittsburgh) more than the team playing for the #1 spot (Oakland) if you HAD to choose one game to lose

Been rooting more for the Ravens lately. Here's why, if we can beat the Steelers in a couple of weeks we get the head-to-head tiebreaker on them whereas the Ravens already have that tiebreaker on us. Therefore, in that scenario, it would be better for us if the Ravens win the division and we are competing with the Steelers for the wildcard rather than the Ravens. If we lose to the Steelers then honestly our playoff hopes might be finished anyway and therefore who cares who wins between the Steelers and Ravens.

I just played with the ESPN playoff machine, and here's the low-down:

If the team goes 4-1 the rest of the way, with the only loss coming to a non-division team, they're extremely likely to get in...I base this on the fact that the machine puts them as the 6th seed with a 10-6 record (wins against Miami and the Jets are non-negotiable) and the remainder of the schedule playing out in favor of the team with the higher win percentage.

I just played with the ESPN playoff machine, and here's the low-down:

If the team goes 4-1 the rest of the way, with the only loss coming to a non-division team, they're extremely likely to get in...I base this on the fact that the machine puts them as the 6th seed with a 10-6 record (wins against Miami and the Jets are non-negotiable) and the remainder of the schedule playing out in favor of the team with the higher win percentage.

I have had two goes today.... both times the two wildcard teams have better records than the winners of the South and the North.

This pretty much.

Unfortunately, that means that they need to find a way to win one of the next two, which won't be easy.

I actually think that they match up okay against both, but that's with Darby in the lineup (despite how poor a season he's had).

But that's all conjecture, so hey, let's go beat Oakland and we'll talk.

Basically, Rex needs to be selling the game against Oakland as our friggin' Super Bowl. We can still get in if we lose to them, but man, life sure gets easier (and more fun) if we can win that one.