Irv Weinstein: Lou Gehrig's Disease

I loved Irv. It is fortunate he was on the air in Buffalo, as I'm not sure he would have made it in too many other markets. It was our good fortune, too. I worked with a few reporters (in Boston and SF) who worked with Irv in Buffalo and they all had good things to say about him. Henry Tenenbaum told me he had use a different on-air name because they didn't want to have TWO obviously Jewish names on the same broadcast. So, in Buffalo, he was Henry Lawrence. He had a lot of respect for Irv.

One of my favorite Irv moments is so bizarre, I can't even be sure it happened. I can find no evidence for it, but I remember it vividly. And one of my best friends swears he saw it, too. Perhaps we are just having a folie a deux. Anyway, on one of the primetime promos for the 11 PM news, the break was cut so close to the show, it seemed as though Irv interrupted the program (though clearly he didn't). What followed made it seem even more immediate and ominous: "Something terrible has happened! Details at 11." WTF? I remember looking out the window, switching channels to see what terrible event took place, etc. Then it occurred to me, if it was really that bad, we wouldn't have to wait until 11 PM. Classic!

Another story I've often heard is, when coming back from a commercial, Irv was surprised/unprepared to be back on the air. Quickly recovering (hey, he's a pro) is supposed to have said. "Good thing I wasn't picking my nose". But that sounds a bit apocryphal, to me.

Wait - you think that crazy first story happened but you call the 2nd one apocryphal?!?

I SAW the first one (or believe I did---and so does my best friend/doctor). Everything I know about Eyewitness News at the time suggests it isn't that wild of a story. The second one is just---well, weird. But still possible.

I SAW the first one (or believe I did---and so does my best friend/doctor). Everything I know about Eyewitness News at the time suggests it isn't that wild of a story. The second one is just---well, weird. But still possible.

The first one makes no sense! As I know you know...............The 2nd one - I can see Irv making a quick quip like that.

• 2 months later...

Had the chance to interview Irv when I wrote Buffalo Soul Lifters. He was very gracious and a kind man. That really sucks!

I always mean to mention it, but I forget because I post so infrequently anymore. I love this book. My mom (RIP) got it for me many years ago and it's one of those books that I read all the way through, put it on the shelf, go back and read certain passages over and over. It really was a great gift and wonderful read. Thanks for writing that!!!

That being said, thoughts are with him and his family. This is truly sad news. The big three in Buffalo were as much a part of my evening meals as a child as my parents were. Often times more so...