NFL.com: Michael Silver on Dareus and ADHD

For someone who is hyperactive he seems pretty lackadaisical in interviews.

Could it be from the NFL approved pills team doctors can prescribe players? Instead of the extremely dangerous medical pot that is illegal......... Dam the dude could get into a bag of doritos on any given night......... on that stuff.

The league could care less about Dareus or 99% of players in the league. $$$$$$

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

November is coming.

treat him. play him. trade him.

You just don't trade your blue chip players. THey are the foundations for championship teams.

QBs are the foundations for championship teams. You would have to be smoking with Marcel to think the SB is within this teams grasp. Picks not spliffs.

You should probably take a look at his contract. He couldn't be traded at this point as it would put the Bills way over the salary cap. Like it or not, Darius definitely is a Bill for the next couple seasons - probably longer. Edited by BarleyNY

Can't trade dareus. I wouldn't cut tyrod because it doesn't really hamstring us to keep him. His cap hit isn't too bad and we can affordably cut him in 2018 if he sucks next year, and we have a plan of some kind.

What plan would that be? Ride a qb without a third gear?

It's so easy - trade all our good players and get a QB. I mean why hasn't anyone thought of that in our front office? It's just a matter of getting one - so simple.

Hyperbole. Bills have decisions to make on Gilmore and Taylor. Pay Gilmore Revis money for above average not elite play? Or tag him and trade him instead of the Marv's strategy of making gentlemen's agreements to let assets walk for nothing.

Pay Taylor a premium for limited qb play or move on and use the cap for better prospects.

Bills have pieces, time for them to go Belichek.

Rebirth in Buffalo

A year ago, I hung out in Buffalo with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, detailing his tragedy-filled road to stardom for a feature on "NFL GameDay Morning."

One of the many challenges faced by Dareus that we weren't able to include in the piece was this: He struggled with severe, undiagnosed ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) throughout his childhood, often provoking the open ridicule of his classmates as he unsuccessfully attempted to focus in academic settings.

Last week, a day after Dareus rejoined the Bills following a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on substances of abuse, we revisited the subject in a lengthy telephone conversation. And while Dareus stressed that he wasn't using his condition as a rationalization for his predicament, he said he took advantage of the four-week break to implement fundamental lifestyle changes he hopes will prevent him from making costly decisions in the future.

Wait....what?

I actually thought Brees shook them down for more than the going rate - in fact, set the new "Gold Standard" (or should that be "Black and Gold Standard").

Only Luck is paid more per year, with Flacco and Rodgers lagging a couple million per year behind.

I used to think the same way as you about Brees impact on the Saints cap, but studying their cap shows that Brees is only a part of what put the Saints in Cap Jail. They currently have $42M in dead money from players they signed to big contracts, then cut - which is basically twice as much in dead cap as they're paying Brees.

Signing a bunch of free agents to top-$$ contracts with a lot of guaranteed money (recently benched Jairus Byrd would be one example) then not having them produce performance value per $$, is the biggest part.

Yea, graham and gallette were the biggest issues. Both have taken up monster portions of the cap and were gone from the team within a year. It would be like cutting dareus and Mario inside a year of signing and then blaming Hughes for the cap situation despite producing well on a market rate contract (I know the timeline doesn't match for us)

Cost benefit analysis. Dareus will f up again, it's not even unreasonable given the emotional trauma he's endured. I don't think football is his focus, and maybe it can't be given his history.

The front seven has been functioning well without him. If you can entice another team who is sold on his talent to bite, do it, Tim Murray like. Grab a first and draft a less emotionally fraught, less cannabis dependent DT. Dareus is self medicating and it has nothing to do with physical football pain, and it won't stop. No life coach or selected periodical pr blitz will prevent Puff Daddy's next episode.

Tyrod, has merit but is not worth 95 large. John Murphy has Bills fans repeating 'the Bills are built to run by design' canard, when it is really the Bills have no choice but to run as Tyrod is ill equipped to do what rookie qbs are already doing this year - that is, slinging the rock everywhere. I don't like the odds of the Bills riding the defense to Super Bowl glory. You're going to need to go bombs away more than once en route, and nothing I've seen give me the confidence to say the Bills are capable of doing that consistently, jv wrs notwithstanding.

Until you have the guy at qb, Sammy is irrelevant, so heal him and deal him. Get your 1st back and draft a qb. Or go balls out and try to get someone like Stafford (Marcel, Sammy, Gimore, whatever). In the Bills case, a playoff birth is only a symbolic if you have no legit chance to contend.

Nothing matters but the qb. Nothing.

Glad your not the GM...

Glad you're content with mediocrity.

So why not keep these players and trade Draft picks for 2018 and 2019 to move up in the first round of 2017 and grab this for sure qb?

If our best players aren't needed then we won't need those draft picks for new blue chip players right?

Could it be from the NFL approved pills team doctors can prescribe players? Instead of the extremely dangerous medical pot that is illegal......... Dam the dude could get into a bag of doritos on any given night......... on that stuff.

The league could care less about Dareus or 99% of players in the league. $$$$$$

doubt it, you can tell when someone is high verses indifference.

Cost benefit analysis. Dareus will f up again, it's not even unreasonable given the emotional trauma he's endured. I don't think football is his focus, and maybe it can't be given his history.

The front seven has been functioning well without him. If you can entice another team who is sold on his talent to bite, do it, Tim Murray like. Grab a first and draft a less emotionally fraught, less cannabis dependent DT. Dareus is self medicating and it has nothing to do with physical football pain, and it won't stop. No life coach or selected periodical pr blitz will prevent Puff Daddy's next episode.

Tyrod, has merit but is not worth 95 large. John Murphy has Bills fans repeating 'the Bills are built to run by design' canard, when it is really the Bills have no choice but to run as Tyrod is ill equipped to do what rookie qbs are already doing this year - that is, slinging the rock everywhere. I don't like the odds of the Bills riding the defense to Super Bowl glory. You're going to need to go bombs away more than once en route, and nothing I've seen give me the confidence to say the Bills are capable of doing that consistently, jv wrs notwithstanding.

Until you have the guy at qb, Sammy is irrelevant, so heal him and deal him. Get your 1st back and draft a qb. Or go balls out and try to get someone like Stafford (Marcel, Sammy, Gimore, whatever). In the Bills case, a playoff birth is only a symbolic if you have no legit chance to contend.

Nothing matters but the qb. Nothing.

Why in gods name would Detroit trade Stafford for anyone on the bills? No team is trading a franchise or potential franchise QB away. I get your point about getting a quarterback. But it is not that simple at all. Draft and develop is almost the only way now, unless you want to overpay for scrubs like osweiler

Why in gods name would Detroit trade Stafford for anyone on the bills? No team is trading a franchise or potential franchise QB away. I get your point about getting a quarterback. But it is not that simple at all. Draft and develop is almost the only way now, unless you want to overpay for scrubs like osweiler

agreed, but it is too early on Oz yet.

a lot of people don't like Kelly just because he is a Kelly but the kid can really play and would love to have him here, may take a coupe yrs to develop though.

NFL needs a development league...a place for college grads to play who aren't immediately desired in the NFL.

Fill the league with QB projects and hopefuls, and you'll start to find the guys who can do it. Feed them into the NFL and give more teams a chance to win on Sunday.

Everyone wins, except the 5 or so teams with a stud QB, like NE or GB.

But even they win, long term, because Rodgers and Brady ain't gonna play forever.

NFL needs a development league...a place for college grads to play who aren't immediately desired in the NFL.

Fill the league with QB projects and hopefuls, and you'll start to find the guys who can do it. Feed them into the NFL and give more teams a chance to win on Sunday.

Everyone wins, except the 5 or so teams with a stud QB, like NE or GB.

But even they win, long term, because Rodgers and Brady ain't gonna play forever.

This is true but really doesn't apply to Dareus. He can play he just needs help for his mind which a developmental league would not address.

This is true but really doesn't apply to Dareus. He can play he just needs help for his mind which a developmental league would not address.

Oh I know, I was digressing! :lol:

Just following up on a lot of the QB conversation that derailed the thread a while ago.

agreed, but it is too early on Oz yet.

a lot of people don't like Kelly just because he is a Kelly but the kid can really play and would love to have him here, may take a coupe yrs to develop though.

Can't say I've seen much of him play, but I wouldn't have a problem with the bills drafting him or any other QB early in next year's draft

What plan would that be? Ride a qb without a third gear?

Hyperbole. Bills have decisions to make on Gilmore and Taylor. Pay Gilmore Revis money for above average not elite play? Or tag him and trade him instead of the Marv's strategy of making gentlemen's agreements to let assets walk for nothing.

Pay Taylor a premium for limited qb play or move on and use the cap for better prospects.

Bills have pieces, time for them to go Belichek.

and there we have it

EXPOSED

Can't say I've seen much of him play, but I wouldn't have a problem with the bills drafting him or any other QB early in next year's draft

a lot of people think that he couldn't handle the pressure here to live up to Jim's status and so don't want him. I think that they don't want him to be greater than Jimbo thus ruining their memories of Jim. Some want him here just because he is a Kelly which I do not. I just think that of all the QBs coming out he has the most potential and definitely the best arm I've seen since krappernick. He reminds of Doug Flutie's scrambling and Bret Favre's gunslinging ability - good and bad.