Buffalo Bills - rank 32 in passing yards per game

San-O

... after 5 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Not complaining about recent wins, however the Bills need to get much more out of the pass game (and QB

play) than last in the league.

I understand Watkins is out, the Bills finished 28th in the same stat. category last year with him.

Bills have almost nothing at receiver and need an upgrade at QB as well.

QB play and the passing game in general are holding this team back: IMO.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing yards may be (probably is) the least important stat for this team. The important things in terms of the passing game are 3rd down conversions, TD:into ratio and RZ scoring. If those things continue to be strong the Bills will win. If those things slip up the Bills will struggle.

It's scary, but not a death knell unless their D, run game and TO margin can't maintain. Seattle and SF from a few years ago went pretty far without a big passing game. Right now TT needs to be efficient, hit a few big plays and not turn the ball over. If he ends up in the shootout vs the likes of Brady or Big Ben we likely go down.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Passing yards may be (probably is) the least important stat for this team. The important things in terms of the passing game are 3rd down conversions, TD:into ratio and RZ scoring. If those things continue to be strong the Bills will win. If those things slip up the Bills will struggle.

I think the Bills can get by in general with a below average passing game (QB and Receivers), however absolute dead last?

Teams, BETTER teams, are going to shut down the run game and force the Bills to throw the ball: which they can't.

I think the Bills can get by in general with a below average passing game (QB and Receivers), however absolute dead last?

Teams, BETTER teams, are going to shut down the run game and force the Bills to throw the ball: which they can't.

We don't know that yet. They haven't had TT attempt many passes. BTW they were able to match up with the Jets in the shoot out...just came short.

It is irrelevant. They are scoring and moving the ball. They are executing the game plan. If the Bills don't turn it over, move the chains on 3rd down, and execute in the RZ they will be fine. They are designed to do EXACTLY what they are doing now. Passing yards mean nothing in this offense.

There are plays within the passing game that they need to make though (Woods throw, Goodwin miss). Those were 3rd down throws. They had a chance to move the chains and didn't. It doesn't matter in the Bills offense if they throw for 397 or 150 as long as they are checking those 3 boxes.

... after 5 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Not complaining about recent wins, however the Bills need to get much more out of the pass game (and QB

play) than last in the league.

I understand Watkins is out, the Bills finished 28th in the same stat. category last year with him.

Bills have almost nothing at receiver and need an upgrade at QB as well.

QB play and the passing game in general are holding this team back: IMO.

Seriously, another thread about passing yards? Does anyone on this board understand that Taylor also racks up rushing yards and makes lots of plays on the ground too?

This is why many informed Bills fans aren't confident in this team. You can't sustain success in this league without a consistent and effective passing game. Can you get lucky, catch a lot of breaks and maybe sneak into the playoffs? Yes, it's possibe, but you better be awfully lucky. Id rather be good then lucky. Unfortunately, the Bills offense is poor and the passing game is ugly. You can't sustain a winning formula with it.

And the most concerning part is Tyrod looks bad. He's making a couple of nice plays with his legs, but he's regressing in the passing game. Abandoning the pocket too quickly, bad footwork and poor accuracy. Was hoping to see a bit of an improvement in all of those categories over last year, and to my eye they all look worse.

This is why many informed Bills fans aren't confident in this team. You can't sustain success in this league without a consistent and effective passing game. Can you get lucky, catch a lot of breaks and maybe sneak into the playoffs? But the Bills offense is poor and the passing game is ugly. You can't sustain a winning formula with it.

And the most concerning part of that stat is Tyrod looks bad. He's making a couple of nice plays with his legs, but he's regressing in the passing game. Abandoning the pocket too quickly, bad footwork and poor accuracy. Was hoping to see a bit of an improvement in all of those categories over last year, and to my eye they all look worse.

Edited by Estro

This is why many informed Bills fans aren't confident in this team. You can't sustain success in this league without a consistent and effective passing game. Can you get lucky, catch a lot of breaks and maybe sneak into the playoffs? Yes, it's possibe, but you better be awfully lucky. Id rather be good then lucky. Unfortunately, the Bills offense is poor and the passing game is ugly. You can't sustain a winning formula with it.

And the most concerning part is Tyrod looks bad. He's making a couple of nice plays with his legs, but he's regressing in the passing game. Abandoning the pocket too quickly, bad footwork and poor accuracy. Was hoping to see a bit of an improvement in all of those categories over last year, and to my eye they all look worse.

This is why many informed Bills fans aren't confident in this team. You can't sustain success in this league without a consistent and effective passing game. Can you get lucky, catch a lot of breaks and maybe sneak into the playoffs? But the Bills offense is poor and the passing game is ugly. You can't sustain a winning formula with it.

And the most concerning part of that stat is Tyrod looks bad. He's making a couple of nice plays with his legs, but he's regressing in the passing game. Abandoning the pocket too quickly, bad footwork and poor accuracy. Was hoping to see a bit of an improvement in all of those categories over last year, and to my eye they all look worse.

Yes everyone else is obviously stupid......

Thank god for the "informed" fans

The Seattle Seahawks finished 26th or 27th in passing 3 years between 2012-2014. Look how that turned out for them. Their highest rank was last year when they finished 20th in passing. And it was their worst yr in the Wilson era.

Not saying we are as good as seattle. But our philosophy is similar. Yes we need to be more consistent in 3rd downs. TT Hhas played a season and a half basically. He has won. Hes on his 2nd coordinator. Lets see how the season plays out.

Yes everyone else is obviously stupid......

Thank god for the "informed" fans

I gotta hand it to the guys that will cheer and defend no matter what the stats or the big picture show. We are dead last in passing and it should be a major concern to any fan. I want the Bills to win and be a good team just as much as anybody else, but our QB is not playing well. That's just the truth. If we want to be a good team year in and year out, we need to draft and develop a good QB. I think with each passing game we are beginning to see that Tyrod is probably not that guy, unfortunately.

I gotta hand it to the guys that will cheer and defend no matter what the stats or the big picture show. We are dead last in passing and it should be a major concern to any fan. I want the Bills to win and be a good team just as much as anybody else, but our QB is not playing well. That's just the truth. If we want to be a good team year in and year out, we need to draft and develop a good QB. I think with each passing game we are beginning to see that Tyrod is probably not that guy, unfortunately.

I am definately concerned.....I mean I must live in a alternate reality were we actually WON the last 3 games

Definate cause for concern

Trying not to wallow, but we are really missing Watkins. TT was one of the best deep passers in the league last year and the connection with Sammy downfield was huge. He hasn't found that with Goodwin, not sure if it's on TT or MG or both (I think it's both). Gotta hope he develops something with Justin Hunter. Can't stretch the field and may not be able to run anymore either pretty soon if the D has no respect for the passing game. I still think he needs to take this shots to Goodwin but they will let him have those all day until they connect.

You're not wrong.