The Cavalry May Be Arriving--Shaq Coming Back!

MattM

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston Brown is the leader of the defense and the play caller....hard pressed to see him let go elsewhere when his time is up. He and Ragland are going to hold down the middle of the field for the next 10 years.

Agree. I don't see them finding a way to keep Zach unless they are moving on at Quarterback (which frees up a chunk of money).

Rex pointed out yesterday that Shaq has yet to partake in an NFL practice...so his actual impact in game situations is going to remain a question mark for a while.

I suspect Shaq's impact will be much less than we would all hope for, but as others have said, it's going to be nice to get him out there and see what he can do.

Marcell's impact on his return this week? That's another story entirely.

The Bills should trade for Vincent Jackson if they can handle his cap hit.

Goodness no! He's 33-1/2 and in serious decline, and they'd have to pay him $8.6M for the remainder of the season. If we're going that route, I'd rather sign Boldin. Wouldn't cost a pick or much money.

Goodness no! He's 33-1/2 and in serious decline, and they'd have to pay him $8.6M for the remainder of the season. If we're going that route, I'd rather sign Boldin. Wouldn't cost a pick or much money.

Like I said. If they could handle the cap hit. Too rich. Boldin is already signed.

I think it's entirely possible that they give Zack Brown a new contract and then let Preston Brown walk after 2017, with Ragland replacing him.

I also think there's almost no chance that Shaq takes over the starting job until he's good and ready--until then just let him rush the passer and play situationally.

That would be a giaaaant leap for any rookie to come off of IR and surpass what Lorax is doing out there. Take it slow with Shaq and let him feel his way onto the field. Can anyone explain why Lorax is still running down the field on ST? He is good at it, I get it...but the depth behind him is non existent.

Why would adding another talented player to the defense be worrisome?

It's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. I really shouldn't worry at all, but for so many posters on here who seem to think that Lawson, and Ragland, both rookies missing their rookie seasons, are sure things. That does seem to be a common refrain in most fan bases. But, I spent much of the post-draft offseason shaking my head at fans who claimed that we had "improved on defense" by adding rookies without caveats. You should read some of the posts made on the Rams' fan forums regarding Goff leading up to the preseason, and then the subsequent astonishment that he couldn't walk on water.

All that being said, I'm sure both Ragland, and Lawson are going to be starting caliber players. But, I hope that from a coaching standpoint, it isn't just a matter of playing them when they're ready, but playing them when the team is ready. For me, watching Hughs, and Alexander on either end of that line, the two Browns, and the rest of the D working in such synergy was so much fun to watch!

I don't want the coaches don't screw that up. And, I'm sure they understand what they've got going. Hopefully, Shaq gets integrated into that synergy, and I wouldn't expect that to be a quick process, considering how well Alexander, and the rest of the D are clicking.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Like I said. If they could handle the cap hit. Too rich. Boldin is already signed.

Boldin plays for the Lions.

I don't see him as an upgrade over what the Bills already have. He's averaging 3 catches for 34 yards with no TD's in the first 4 games. His pricetag puts him in the "no friggin' way!" category.

And my bad on Boldin, who isn't doing much with Detroit, but at least has 2 TD's so far.

All that being said, I'm sure both Ragland, and Lawson are going to be starting caliber players. But, I hope that from a coaching standpoint, it isn't just a matter of playing them when they're ready, but playing them when the team is ready. For me, watching Hughs, and Alexander on either end of that line, the two Browns, and the rest of the D working in such synergy was so much fun to watch!

I don't want the coaches don't screw that up. And, I'm sure they understand what they've got going. Hopefully, Shaq gets integrated into that synergy, and I wouldn't expect that to be a quick process, considering how well Alexander, and the rest of the D are clicking.

Well said. I agree completely.

Cameo appearance for a rookie lb who has never played an NFL down....even in preseason. He is not likely to contribute much this season imho. However, if somebody goes down.....in the LB core, then he will get a real shot real quick. It will be interesting to see if Alexander gets benched while leading the team in sacks. (tied anyhow, Hughes has 4 also) Whaley and Ryan have a lot invested in Lawson, and that may get him on the field more, especially if the Bills are out of the race later in the season. We know that Lawson, being one of their picks, will get his shot sooner or later. And, same with Raglund.....and the likely reason that Z Brown will be elsewhere next year. Won't pay big bucks to keep their #2 on the bench.

similar situation happened years ago player came here late,no training camp ,signed on a wednesday played on sunday ,got a sack on his third play if i recall it right.. you might of heard of him ..he was called "biscuit" !!! go bills!

similar situation happened years ago player came here late,no training camp ,signed on a wednesday played on sunday ,got a sack on his third play if i recall it right.. you might of heard of him ..he was called "biscuit" !!! go bills!

Biscuit, I've heard of him.

Shaq will just be used in clear passing downs in rush the QB situations. Keep it simple.