Who Do You Re-sign Based Off Four Games?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way Rex likes to play three safeties Ragland could play ILB and Zach, because he's so fast, could play kind of a monster role. You never know where he will line up or come from. The OL wouldn't be able to account for him. He could cover TEs. He could be on the LOS.

Part of me has started justifying our eventual 7-9 record with the idea of drafting high enough to snag Jabrill Peppers.

How bout a QB?

Depends on how TT does the rest of the season. And with all the college ball I watch, I havent seen anyone that can definitely step in and start from Day 1 next year.

I appreciate MAJBobby for having a complete plan, but I dont agree with those players. At least right now. Lots of season (in both leagues) to shake out still. For now, Im assuming Taylor continues to play well and we can keep him as our QB. Check back in a few weeks though! :thumbsup:

I'm not suggesting the guy step in and start from day 1.

If there is a very good college QB sitting there at our pick I don't know how or why you pass... Even if he needs to ride the bench for a year or two.

Ah, sorry, Im combining plans since MAJ said he'd get rid of TT. I dont mind drafting Kelly (or whoever) in the middle of the first and developing him a couple years.

Posted this in another thread, but it makes sense since we're talking money here....

Here's what the Bills currently have invested at ILB:

Ragland: ~$1.4M/yr through 2020

PBrown: $790k this year, $930k next year

ZBrown: $1.25M this year

Spikes: $760k this year

That's less than $5M/yr for all of our ILBs combined.

I know Whaley talks about having only the 4 pieces where they look to make investments, but I have to imagine there is room around to re-sign both Browns, and keep some ILB depth around through the next 4 seasons.

Posted this in another thread, but it makes sense since we're talking money here....

Here's what the Bills currently have invested at ILB:

Ragland: ~$1.4M/yr through 2020

PBrown: $790k this year, $930k next year

ZBrown: $1.25M this year

Spikes: $760k this year

That's less than $5M/yr for all of our ILBs combined.

I know Whaley talks about having only the 4 pieces where they look to make investments, but I have to imagine there is room around to re-sign both Browns, and keep some ILB depth around through the next 4 seasons.

Spikes isn't a starter, Lorenzo Alexander is and he's been great considering we first signed him to play ST only.

If you want money to sign people -
Cutting KW - 1.5 Dead - saves 6.8 million + the 6 million or so we'll carry over + at least 15 million in regular cap space (with TT under contract). and you're at 27.8 million. Do we give half to Gilmore?
Or we could try to save a little money and go after more affordable replacements. Then keep Z-brown/Lorax, and add a receiver or two and double down on TT development.
You can't keep everyone, and it becomes letting players walk when they want more than you feel they deserve. New England has built a great team, by not overpaying players. Trade chandler jones for a player and a pick, flip the pick into 2 picks, and use the cap savings to sign chris long. Massive Value there.

Also - this would be the 3rd year in a row where we'd have to use the tag to keep someone. That hamstrings your cap while you hammer out an extension (if you do). So that means we won't be able to go after Free agent receivers, safeties, tight ends etc. until the market simmers and we can get them cheap.

It comes down to keeping KW, or Gilmore to me. I don't think TT goes anywhere because there isn't a viable replacement strategy.
Edited by dneveu

If you want money to sign people -
Cutting KW - 1.5 Dead - saves 6.8 million + the 6 million or so we'll carry over + at least 15 million in regular cap space (with TT under contract). and you're at 27.8 million. Do we give half to Gilmore?
Or we could try to save a little money and go after more affordable replacements. Then keep Z-brown/Lorax, and add a receiver or two and double down on TT development.
You can't keep everyone, and it becomes letting players walk when they want more than you feel they deserve. New England has built a great team, by not overpaying players. Trade chandler jones for a player and a pick, flip the pick into 2 picks, and use the cap savings to sign chris long. Massive Value there.

Also - this would be the 3rd year in a row where we'd have to use the tag to keep someone. That hamstrings your cap while you hammer out an extension (if you do). So that means we won't be able to go after Free agent receivers, safeties, tight ends etc. until the market simmers and we can get them cheap.

It comes down to keeping KW, or Gilmore to me. I don't think TT goes anywhere because there isn't a viable replacement strategy.

Have they? Chris Long isnt playing, Cooper looks shoddy, and Jones looks great as usual. What did they do with the picks? NE's draft history isnt that great either.

Have they? Chris Long isnt playing, Cooper looks shoddy, and Jones looks great as usual. What did they do with the picks? NE's draft history isnt that great either.

One of them is their starting LG Joe Thuney. The other is that Mitchell kid who mixed it up with our guys. Probably their 4th receiver.

Long is playing - Ninkovich was suspended. He's in their End rotation with Sheard, Ninkovich, and Flowers.

It was a deeper position there, and he was going to want a massive raise.

Cooper was on the last year of a rookie deal - 5th year option not picked up - and will be a free agent. Costs the same to get rid of him, and he's probably just interior depth the rest of the way.

Edited by dneveu

One of them is their starting LG Joe Thuney. The other is that Mitchell kid who mixed it up with our guys. Probably their 4th receiver.

Long is playing - Ninkovich was suspended. He's in their End rotation with Sheard, Ninkovich, and Flowers.

It was a deeper position there, and he was going to want a massive raise.

My bad, I was thinking of the wrong Long. Regardless, I agree with the overall premise (cant sign everyone, move players when you can). I just dont think the Pats are built as well as everyone thinks and HoF QB play has helped hide those flaws.

It'll suck to cut Kyle, but if it means re-signing ZBrown, LorAx, and Gilmore... then so be it.

Z Brown looks great. Gilmore could be tagged if need be but I wouldn't be crushed if they opt to let him walk. I feel like Whaley knows how to take care of DB and LBs so he'll make the right call here....

Yep, let J Byrd take a hike.....and the Saints are suffering for ever more......