Did Belichick cost the Patriots?

GunnerBill

Let me preface this post with this - I believe Bill Belichick to be the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. His ability to game plan effectively on both sides of the ball is special.

However, I think he might have been partly to blame for yesterday. After week 2 the Patriots knew they needed to get Jacoby Brissett ready to play the Texans on a short week. What we saw was a game plan designed for Brissett. The ran a lot of option stuff, plenty of roll outs, gave him drive starter throws.... stuff he could handle, alongside obviously a power run game with Blount.

What happened after that is they chased what for me was always a fantasy of Garoppolo being healthy to start against the Bills. They split the reps in practice all week and they must have worked, at least some, on two game plans. They didn't give up on the fantasy of Jimmy G being ready until the night before the game. It was never going to happen. I am no physician but I do know sports injuries. I have had enough of them in my time. Him ready to go was never a realistic possibility.

The result was that it looked like they had very little plan for how to use Brissett. It was basically "run Blount a lot and see what happens". When the Bills shut him down there was little alternative for New England, we hardly saw Brissett run any read option at all and there were few designed roll outs. It looked very much to me like a team that did not have a properly developed game plan and the Bills had their way defensively all day.

Just for once I think the master might have made a mistake.

The team was flat as evidenced by the first 2 plays.

They weren't ready for the challenge before them, which is unlike a Belichick coached team.

His fault?

Probably not.

They will digest this today and come out gunning for Cleveland on Sunday.

Brady may be rusty, but the rest of the players will be ready, I'm sure of it.

I think what really cost NE was game tape on Brisseett and not adjusting. If you look at the game against Houston, they did a lot of gimmicks, and they tried to do a lot of the same against the bills with mis direction, but of course with game tape, teams will be ready. There was a debate last week about belichick or brady who would you rather, and I said Brady. Yes they did wonders with Brissett against Houston, but once teams have game film on you, it is not sustainable, so that is why I would take the hall of fame QB in a heart beat

I wonder how the Bills would do if we threw Cardale Jones out there with a bum thumb on his throwing hand.

Brissett was a third round draft pick and not a he has some tools lets see if we can build a quarterback. It's not a right comparison and the Bills won this game kicking ass in the trenches

I'm pretty sure what we saw was a team who started their third string injured QB with the knowledge their certain HOF QB is returning in one week. We saw a team accepting 3-1 without him.

There weren't even trying to throw it around once they were down.

Wins are great and the record doesn't care who started, etc.

just take the win, and try not to extrapolate it into more than it is.

Brisett was hurt. He couldn't throw and watching the game tape today, it's clear he only looked to one side. The bills should have won by 30. Belicheat is a good coach, but he can only hide so many things.

Pats* defense sucked yesterday too. Which is rare

the D didnt suck frankly the got their ass kicked on the d line which made Collins and Hightower ineffective. Up 16-0 there was no reason to take chances I think the Bills knew if we don't give them to their defense they won't score

I'm pretty sure what we saw was a team who started their third string injured QB with the knowledge their certain HOF QB is returning in one week. We saw a team accepting 3-1 without him.

I hadn't considered that take :thumbsup:

It's impossible to say because we just don't know what was being said behind closed doors in Foxborough. What did they know about the injuries to the QBs? What were the medical people saying? What was their best guess as to who could play or not play?

We don't know any of that.

I am not denigrated our win at all. They just looked to me like a Patriots team that for once did not have more than a plan A. I simply wonder if he messed up the preparation desperately hoping for something that was never going to happen - a healthy Jimmy G.

I honestly think that BB just said, "f#&! it, we're playing Buffalo" and threw together what he could as far as a gameplan. I didnt see very many offensive adjustments in the 2nd half, and the last 2 drives for them were just sad.

Somewhere along the line (probably when he smashed the IPad) he just kinda gave up. Couldnt have happened to a better guy!

They ended up 3-1 while playing with a backup and 3rd stringer. That's probably right where they should be. I did feel that there was the chance they threw in the towel in the 4th quarter and then used the time for Brissett to gain more game playing experience.

We won, but hats off to the Patriots organization. They may lose 2 at the most 3 games the rest of the way. Them, Pit, Den the clear AFC favorites.

Belichick probably was forced to play the guy who was less injured.

He was probably hoping for some help from his defense to protect his offense, similar to the Texans game.

Unlike the Texans, the Bills were efficient on offense and allowed their defense to go after the Pats injured, rookie QB.

I think he knew Garapollo couldn't play but Brissett couldn't throw very hard. At 3-0 the decision to not bring in another QB was a lot easier decision than if they were 1-2. He also saw he could run against a decent defense and Blount was leading the league in rushing and the defense in Houston just pitched a shutout. I do think he hurt his team by not bringing in a veteran for one week but he didn't want to cut a guy to do that.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The simple idea that Belichick simply conceded a loss is ridiculous. Just entertaining the thought that a head coach is 3-0 going into game 4 and has started 2 different backups and somehow is just OK with taking a loss, makes me laugh out loud. I laugh even louder when now some are saying that's what he did. He simply got out game planned. Outside of one good game a couple years ago, Blount has never really done a bunch of damage against the Bills. Belichick just seemed to think that if he kept running the ball that it would somehow work out. It didn't. They had one drive in the entire first half that went more than 10 yards. They had just one first down. The Patriots defense had been pretty good as well, especially in the last two games, generating 7 turnovers. Combine all those things and Rex had a good game plan that was executed well. They got after Brissett pretty hard.

The simple idea that Belichick simply conceded a loss is ridiculous. Just entertaining the thought that a head coach is 3-0 going into game 4 and has started 2 different backups and somehow is just OK with taking a loss, makes me laugh out loud. I laugh even louder when now some are saying that's what he did. He simply got out game planned. Outside of one good game a couple years ago, Blount has never really done a bunch of damage against the Bills. Belichick just seemed to think that if he kept running the ball that it would somehow work out. It didn't. They had one drive in the entire first half that went more than 10 yards. They had just one first down. The Patriots defense had been pretty good as well, especially in the last two games, generating 7 turnovers. Combine all those things and Rex had a good game plan that was executed well. They got after Brissett pretty hard.

Most agree.

What I saw yesterday was a team getting mauled on both sides of the line. I don't think the Hoodie famously spiked his tablet into the equipment trunk 'cuz he was accepting 3-1.

The Pats O is ecstatic that Brady is coming back, but if their D continues to get mauled their O will need to grind