Did Belichick cost the Patriots?

GunnerBill

Let me preface this post with this - I believe Bill Belichick to be the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. His ability to game plan effectively on both sides of the ball is special.

However, I think he might have been partly to blame for yesterday. After week 2 the Patriots knew they needed to get Jacoby Brissett ready to play the Texans on a short week. What we saw was a game plan designed for Brissett. The ran a lot of option stuff, plenty of roll outs, gave him drive starter throws.... stuff he could handle, alongside obviously a power run game with Blount.

What happened after that is they chased what for me was always a fantasy of Garoppolo being healthy to start against the Bills. They split the reps in practice all week and they must have worked, at least some, on two game plans. They didn't give up on the fantasy of Jimmy G being ready until the night before the game. It was never going to happen. I am no physician but I do know sports injuries. I have had enough of them in my time. Him ready to go was never a realistic possibility.

The result was that it looked like they had very little plan for how to use Brissett. It was basically "run Blount a lot and see what happens". When the Bills shut him down there was little alternative for New England, we hardly saw Brissett run any read option at all and there were few designed roll outs. It looked very much to me like a team that did not have a properly developed game plan and the Bills had their way defensively all day.

Just for once I think the master might have made a mistake.

Just an FYI a lot of reports up here saying they expected Jimmy G to go and at the last minute he had a set back and had to scramble to put a game plan together for Jacoby. I'm not sure how accurate those reports are though.

What I saw yesterday was a team getting mauled on both sides of the line. I don't think the Hoodie famously spiked his tablet into the equipment trunk 'cuz he was accepting 3-1.

The Pats O is ecstatic that Brady is coming back, but if their D continues to get mauled their O will need to grind

They didn't even try to toss around the rock once they were down. If anyone can fault hoodie for anything specific, it's being too arrogant to bring in an arm that could at least throw a quarter of their offense.

But yeah the bills were ramped up for this and it showed in the trenches. I'm really shocked Lynn has fielded a better run offense than Roman seemed to be able to... but I'll take it.

Just an FYI a lot of reports up here saying they expected Jimmy G to go and at the last minute he had a set back and had to scramble to put a game plan together for Jacoby. I'm not sure how accurate those reports are though.

Not accurate at all, we all know BB would have had a backup plan no matter what.

Let me preface this post with this - I believe Bill Belichick to be the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. His ability to game plan effectively on both sides of the ball is special.

However, I think he might have been partly to blame for yesterday. After week 2 the Patriots knew they needed to get Jacoby Brissett ready to play the Texans on a short week. What we saw was a game plan designed for Brissett. The ran a lot of option stuff, plenty of roll outs, gave him drive starter throws.... stuff he could handle, alongside obviously a power run game with Blount.

What happened after that is they chased what for me was always a fantasy of Garoppolo being healthy to start against the Bills. They split the reps in practice all week and they must have worked, at least some, on two game plans. They didn't give up on the fantasy of Jimmy G being ready until the night before the game. It was never going to happen. I am no physician but I do know sports injuries. I have had enough of them in my time. Him ready to go was never a realistic possibility.

The result was that it looked like they had very little plan for how to use Brissett. It was basically "run Blount a lot and see what happens". When the Bills shut him down there was little alternative for New England, we hardly saw Brissett run any read option at all and there were few designed roll outs. It looked very much to me like a team that did not have a properly developed game plan and the Bills had their way defensively all day.

Just for once I think the master might have made a mistake.

they went 3-1 with possibly best QB of all time (throws up in mouth a little) out, so that's pretty damn good. But his team did look like sh*t yesterday. When's the last time they had more penalties than this Bills in a game?

Edited by ricojes

I think BB has enough intelligence to accept the loss without disgrace because in the grand scheme they still come out with 75% wins without their starting QB. His frustration had a lot to do with some bonehead mistakes that are not usual for his team.

Not accurate at all, we all know BB would have had a backup plan no matter what.

They had plan B that doesn't make it good, they also didn't have a plan C for how to fix it when B failed. It was a terrible game and BB I think was more furious with the D than the O. He expected more from this D and he threw his tablet after the TD (early on) he either Knew what was coming or was pissed at the piss poor tackling. (I am guessing I didn't see when he threw in the tablet but sports shows said it was after the TD)

I am not denigrated our win at all. They just looked to me like a Patriots team that for once did not have more than a plan A. I simply wonder if he messed up the preparation desperately hoping for something that was never going to happen - a healthy Jimmy G.

The Pats HC knew exactly what he was doing. He is a much more strategic thinker than our visceral and reactionary HC. Of course Bill B wanted to win this game but he wasn't going to jeopardize Grapolo's well being while he is in the healing process. The Pats' HC certainly knew entering this game that not only was his rookie qb limited because of his inexperience but that he was also physically impaired. Don't be surprised if he is soon placed on the injury list and has his mangled finger operated on.

A Buffalo win is a Buffalo win. I appreciate it and am not going to be dismissive of it. On both sides of the ball the Bills played well and deserve accolades for their multi-faceted win. But from a New England perspective if they were told prior to the season that they would be 3-1 while Brady was off sun-bathing and exposing his private parts on a European beach I'm sure they would be very glad where they stand.

As you know I have little regard for our HC's juvenile demeanor and annoying act. However, to his credit he made a gutsy call in replacing Roman with Lynn. The change in coaches for our offense and qb is very noticeable in a positive way. The loud coach deserves credit for that.

Yep. That is what it looked like. And I am sorry they should never have been planning on that basis. Whoever told him Jimmy G had a chance to go should be.... wait for it TBD.... held accountable.

I thought it left them under prepared to be honest.

Newsflash. A lot of people (writers, bloggers,etc) make crap up all the time almost hourly in all sports. Then the rest of the reporting sheep grab on and run with it. I suspect this too be the case. A effn excuse no more no less. Unless you and the hoody*** play backgammon together. " reports" a lot of times and this smells like one of them are BS.

The team was flat as evidenced by the first 2 plays.

They weren't ready for the challenge before them, which is unlike a Belichick coached team.

His fault?

Probably not.

They will digest this today and come out gunning for Cleveland on Sunday.

Brady may be rusty, but the rest of the players will be ready, I'm sure of it.

:thumbsup:

In other news Richie Incongnito pokes at BB after the win.?? ( saw it on FB so must be true lol)

Of all the Bulls players to open their mouth, he should be the last one since he played the worst of the group with (if memory serves me) about 45 yards in penalties?

I wonder how the Bills would do if we threw Cardale Jones out there with a bum thumb on his throwing hand.

Kids a warrior - he'd sling it...

and probably fumble and intercept his way to a loss.

In other news Richie Incongnito pokes at BB after the win.?? ( saw it on FB so must be true lol)

Of all the Bulls players to open their mouth, he should be the last one since he played the worst of the group with (if memory serves me) about 45 yards in penalties?

Penalties certainly hurt his game (the personal foul was a bit ticky tack to me - they pushed each other one time after a play... corners/receivers get away with worse). But i thought he blocked really well, and what he said was basically that we were more physical from start to finish. Which was true.

Kids a warrior - he'd sling it...

and probably fumble and intercept his way to a loss.

Penalties certainly hurt his game (the personal foul was a bit ticky tack to me - they pushed each other one time after a play... corners/receivers get away with worse). But i thought he blocked really well, and what he said was basically that we were more physical from start to finish. Which was true.

They are spinning it then on the most "reliable network aka ESPN. I didn't think anyone be dumb enough call out BB.

I'm pretty sure what we saw was a team who started their third string injured QB with the knowledge their certain HOF QB is returning in one week. We saw a team accepting 3-1 without him.

There weren't even trying to throw it around once they were down.

Wins are great and the record doesn't care who started, etc.

just take the win, and try not to extrapolate it into more than it is.

Looked like this. Maybe Rex conceding Bellicheat is one of the GOATS and paying the boston don the proper respects caused him to show mercy n allowed him to save his wrath for the 2nd meeting.