The Wildcat

YoloinOhio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look how well we blocked that up. The right side of our line both come round and pull nicely. I watched the all 22 last night..... Miller and Mills both had really sound games.

EDIT: The oft repeated refrain in the off season was "the right side of our line is a train wreck!" It has been anything but so far. Miller has been outstanding and even Mills has been pretty solid.

Edited by GunnerBill

Look how well we blocked that up. The right side of our line both come round and pull nicely. I watched the all 22 last night..... Miller and Mills both had really sound games.

EDIT: The oft repeated refrain in the off season was "the right side of our line is a train wreck!" It has been anything but so far. Miller has been outstanding and even Mills has been pretty solid.

The left side has been worse...Incognito not playing well and too many penalties. Seems like we are running right more often than last year

They ran it 8 times for 41 yards.

It was effective especially the first time they ran it, Gillislee ran for 16 yards.

So last 7 they gained 25 yds... Not so effective.. Wait for the uproar around here when it doesn't work in a key situation. Now if McCoy would just pitch it back to Tyrod to pass it could be a game breaker in a spot or 2 Edited by jms62

So last 7 they gained 25 yds... Not so effective.. Wait for the uproar around here when it doesn't work in a key situation. Now if McCoy would just pitch it back to Tyrod to pass it could be a game breaker in a spot or 2

That's not how it works

So last 7 they gained 25 yds... Not so effective.. Wait for the uproar around here when it doesn't work in a key situation. Now if McCoy would just pitch it back to Tyrod to pass it could be a game breaker in a spot or 2

While 3.5 yards a carry isn't phenomenal on those 7 other carries, it's still enough for a 1st down on 3 attempts.

Also, 4 of those attempts were at the end of the game, when the Pats*** knew the Bills would be running. That includes a rush for no gain.

I told everyone pre-draft that Miller was going to end up a solid starter for us. It's slowly coming to fruition. His bad snaps in pass pro are getting less frequent but it's a gradual process. It's not been a shock for me, playing OL on one leg for half a season will make anyone look bad, let alone a project rookie.

Jordan Mills is officially out of my doghouse for now. Until he got injured in the 4th, I thought he was our best OL. No doubt in my mind that he's the unquestioned starter for the next dozen games, provided he stays healthy. The next 3 months need to pass to give a better sample size on his long-term future though.

I told everyone pre-draft that Miller was going to end up a solid starter for us. It's slowly coming to fruition. His bad snaps in pass pro are getting less frequent but it's a gradual process. It's not been a shock for me, playing OL on one leg for half a season will make anyone look bad, let alone a project rookie.

Jordan Mills is officially out of my doghouse for now. Until he got injured in the 4th, I thought he was our best OL. No doubt in my mind that he's the unquestioned starter for the next dozen games, provided he stays healthy. The next 3 months need to pass to give a better sample size on his long-term future though.

I was pretty much with you. I thought Miller showed plenty of grounds for optimism last year given the circumstances but am surprised by how solid Mills has been - I agree it is his job now.

The left side has been worse...Incognito not playing well and too many penalties. Seems like we are running right more often than last year

Maybe more often, but I saw some breakdown of all our running plays this season on Twitter, and the majority are still going left. Let me see if I can find a link...

EDIT, I stand corrected. Our own Astro posted this splashy graphic on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/tcbills_astro/status/783064054243917824

Edited by jimmy10

To me, the Wildcat is not something you build your offense around. It was one of those college concepts that everyone tried for a bit and teams have studied how to beat.

That said, all through last season and the Jets game this year, we've been a team where when you need one yard, and your opponents know you need one yard, we can't get it done.

I like the Wildcat a hell of a lot more than bringing EJ Manuel on the field for a QB sneak.

@BuffRumblings

X’s and O’s: Understanding the #Bills’ direct snap package

https://t.co/iNHBS2Y5gY

If you were watching the Buffalo Bills take on the New England Patriots last weekend (and you were, weren’t you?) you noticed some throwback football. Both teams (the Patriots due to their depleted quarterback situation, and the Bills because they love the running game) were making calls straight out of the Air Force playbook (or Navy, as Bill Belichick would have it). The Bills sprinkled some triple option and some single-wing into their playbook last week, and the Patriots did likewise (with less success).

Love it when it is run occasionally. It seems to work even though it looks so simple. The Dolphins used it when they made that miracle run to the division title some years back. They went from 1-15 to a division title. I think in some cases it doesn't work (like around the goal line) but if it's something that gets a us some yards and a first down here and there I'm all for it.

If you want to telegraph your plays, go for it.

Well typically we line up under center - see something - then TT motions out wide. It doesn't give them a lot of time to adjust. Plus if no one follows TT you can have the back chuck it over there.

I imagine the rams will institute a quick adjustment when that happens to try and prevent the trap blockers from making a lane, but nothing works every time anyway.

Technically, we haven't run the wildcat much.

We've run the single wing.

The "wildcat" is termed because a boundary player streaks toward the single wing and arrives at the snap, creating a mesh point where the ball can be handed off or kept.

The player in motion is the "wildcat".

Don't think we've done that much --if at all.

I shall now set my formation stuffiness aside.

That said, if we want it to continue to be effective, we'll need to add a wrinkle where the ball is thrown. Put something on film for which other teams must account.

EDIT:

and I now see that much of this was discussed in the linked article above.

I'll shut up now

Edited by thebandit27