Gilmore "O-lay" move on Blount

If he goes in head on, breaks an arm, on a meaningless end of game play, I'd be pissed.

Some of you need to go to those tackling seminars they have for moms of youth football players. :doh:

Repeat after me............"Tackling different than hitting".

Game was pretty much over at that point. Blount wasn't going far anyway. Gilmore had a great game overall so I'm not complaining. It didn't look good, but it isn't a surprise. The man is in a contract year. He's not going to take unnecessary punishment.

This is the second time I've seen him step away from a tackle. The other time was vs Jets or Ravens (don't recall) but he backed away from a runner.

Some of you need to go to those tackling seminars they have for moms of youth football players. :doh:

Repeat after me............"Tackling different than hitting".

Yes we know, and SG did fine 1:1 with Bennett. Not so sure Blount wasn't

mid-hurdle at that point.

Saw this play from another angle. Blount actually does a flying headbutt on Gilmore, which bumps him out of the way.

Find another whipping boy.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/783107646341668864

At this point in the game, he had resigned himself to losing, so he said f-u, Im gonna try and hurt someone. Doesnt surprise me with a player like Blount.

Saw this play from another angle. Blount actually does a flying headbutt on Gilmore, which bumps him out of the way.

Thanks for posting this. It looks totally different than what I remember. Also there was a number 52 coming in hot. Remember when Gilmore got between 23 and a receiver? I am sure he does.

Until I saw the video, I was in the "who cares?" camp, but that was pathetic. Blount wasn't even running strait at him; Gilmore could have easily wrapped him up or tacked him low with little to no risk of injury. And don't forget, Gilmore is no Smurf.

This angle shows Gilmore stepping to the right to get out of the way well before contact is made even more clearly. If he is getting into proper tackling position the headbutt isn't an issue. I don't dislike Gilmore and I am not using him as a whipping boy but he needs to make that tackle or at least slow him down.

Edited by HT02

The flying head butt is true, but Gilmore doesn't move in the direction of the headbutt. I think it's good field awareness - he sees Corey Graham and 5? approaching fast from the side, and it looks to me as though having slowed Blount so they can get there, he deliberately steps to the opposite side to let them "lay the lumber" - which they do. The headbutt would knock Gilmore backwards, but if you look carefully he actually starts to step to the side before Blount does his headbutt thing, and Blount kind of whips his head to the side to helmet him anyway. At least that's what I think I see. Gilmore's job on this play appears to be to contain, keep Blount from cutting outside and outrunning the teammate help that's closing fast.

Thanks for the clip, Cease Fires. Sheesh to hear these guys talk I woulda thought Gilmore stepped aside and left Blount with a clear shot at the endzone instead of positioning himself so Graham can do the guided missile whammy without putting Gilmore at the bottom of the pile.

If he got low, kept his head up, and wrapped he could tackle Blount and hold him in place for Graham to missile over. IMO he lacks faith in his abilities to tackle Blount in the open field without a running start, and with good reason. If he stayed in place, the most likely outcome would have been Blount knocks Stephon back on his a** and leaves cleatmarks as he runs him over.

This angle shows Gilmore stepping to the right to get out of the way well before contact is made even more clearly. If he is getting into proper tackling position the headbutt isn't an issue. I don't dislike Gilmore and I am not using him as a whipping boy but he needs to make that tackle or at least slow him down.

IMHO the stepping to the right was part of Gilmore's job on the play - I think his job was to contain and keep Blount from cutting out to the sideline and running away from Graham and the LB who are closing fast from the left side of the clip. I think, having delayed Blount just long enough to see that Graham and the LB (can't see his number) will get there, he steps to the side then back to make sure Blount can't juke back away from them and lets them have a clear path to launch.

It's not the sort of tackling and play I favor (what if they slip? or a Pat blocks them out? wrap and tackle, man!) but it is a fairly common use of teamwork these days to bring down a moose on the loose like Blount

At this point in the game, he had resigned himself to losing, so he said f-u, Im gonna try and hurt someone. Doesnt surprise me with a player like Blount.

I don't believe it was a purposeful headbutt as much as it was him anticipating that Gilmore go low and he wanted to hurdle and then realized he wasn't gonna go low and he put his head down. A quasi hurdle/put head down sort of deal

I don't believe it was a purposeful headbutt as much as it was him anticipating that Gilmore go low and he wanted to hurdle and then realized he wasn't gonna go low and he put his head down. A quasi hurdle/put head down sort of deal

I disagree. To my eyes he sees Gilmore stepping to the side and whips his helmet sideways to hit Gilmore in the head. Cheap punk shot. There's no reason to whip his helmet sideways like that in the process of putting his helmet down and running straight ahead.

Thanks for posting this. It looks totally different than what I remember. Also there was a number 52 coming in hot. Remember when Gilmore got between 23 and a receiver? I am sure he does.

Preston Brown. Good catch on the number. All I got was 5?, a LB. Also 20, Corey Graham coming in tandem.

This thread is a joke. Can the mods lock it up? Waste of time.

Bruh, this is TBD, this is what we do here. If I were a player or friend of a player I'd find it brutal and stay away in droves 'cuz people get opinionated and sometimes nasty about players, but there's usually opinions on the other side. Usual protocol is to ignore threads or posters you deem time wasting. Mods step in if stuff violates TOS, but any reasonably civil discussion of Bills players and games "in bounds"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Knowing Blount's history, his intention was to kick the tackler if Gilmore was going low, or headbutt him if he didn't go low.