Any advice from NYC folks?

So, a friend and I have tickets to the Syracuse v UCONN basketball game on Monday, December 5th at Madison Square Garden. We have been looking at hotels in Times Square, and the prices for anything decent are much more than we are willing to spend. Plus, the idea of staying in Times Square is not that appealing to me.

I don't really know much about NYC. Are there areas, or particular hotels, within a reasonable taxi/subway ride to MSG that we should be looking at? I'd like the hotel to be in an area with decent bars/restaurants, so that we can head back after the game and go out for food/drinks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

What's your budget? Are you open to AirBNB places? How about Jersey (assuming easy PATH train access to MSG.) I see someone else mentioned it also, I am in Jersey City and there are a ton of great restaurants and bars near Grove St PATH, also some decent but less special places near Newport PATH. From Grove st PATH it's about 20 minute trip to 33rd, maybe 30-45 minutes late night.

Edited by Captain Caveman

No, most years I've had Sunday ticket, but this year I've been stuck with radio feed. I usually can't get out of the house to watch the games due to a couple of young kids (and I'm already usually out Sunday mornings for band practice.)

If you can ever get out for the game, you should stop out to Duffy's in Paterson. There are even a few kids that come with their parents to watch the game there.

Edited by chknwing334

I just stayed here a couple weeks ago:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3642&language=en_US

Brand new hotel. Rooms are small (it's NYC), but functional, with a location near Wall Street. Short subway or Lyft ride pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. Worked out great, and I paid $220/night during a super busy time.

Edited by Chilly

I guess my budget is around 250/night max. I could spend more, but really, I'm only going to be sleeping at the place. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into the Hoboken/Jersey City options right now, and the hotels seem to be more reasonable. When is the Hoboken PATH train station supposed to open? That would make things much easier if I chose to stay in NJ.

I just stayed here a couple weeks ago:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3642&language=en_US

Brand new hotel. Rooms are small (it's NYC), but functional, with a location near Wall Street. Short subway or Lyft ride pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. Worked out great, and I paid $220/night during a super busy time.

The AAA rate for this place for the dates I need is 420/night includes all fees. Yikes!! You must have got a great deal.

You could also consider Queens and Brooklyn, close to a subway stop.

These are all under the IHG brand, using Best Available rate...

Holiday Inn Express

Queens - Maspeth

59-40 55th Road , Maspeth, NY 11378 , United States

$145/night for Sunday to Tuesday

Hotel Indigo

Brooklyn

229 Duffield Street , Brooklyn, NY 11201 , United States

$140/night

Holiday Inn

Brooklyn Downtown

300 Schermerhorn Street , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States

$170/night

EVEN Hotels

Brooklyn

46 Nevins St , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States

$189/night

I'm also hesitant to drive up there on days when Giants or Jets are playing around the same time, what roads do you take and how is traffic?

I usually hop on the train to Hawthorne and walk a quarter mile to the bar. I live right near the stadium and the traffic really doesn't get that bad during games. Nothing like the area around the Ralph!

I recommend this place...

30heavy_CA1-articleInline.jpg

It's costs almost nothing, it's super spacey, has a city view, lots of fresh air and you're right in the middle of Times Square. Oh, and the continental breakfast is to die for...likely because the current resident will stab you if he finds you in there but then you'll have your own crazy NYC story to tell!

You're welcome!

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

You could also consider Queens and Brooklyn, close to a subway stop.

These are all under the IHG brand, using Best Available rate...

Holiday Inn Express

Queens - Maspeth

59-40 55th Road , Maspeth, NY 11378 , United States

$145/night for Sunday to Tuesday

Hotel Indigo

Brooklyn

229 Duffield Street , Brooklyn, NY 11201 , United States

$140/night

Holiday Inn

Brooklyn Downtown

300 Schermerhorn Street , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States

$170/night

EVEN Hotels

Brooklyn

46 Nevins St , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States

$189/night

Thanks for this.

I highly recommend the Belvedere in Hell's Kitchen. 5 minute walk to Times Square. Easy walk to MSG. Nice hotel, fairly priced and surrounded by great restaurants.

All booked up for the dates I need, but thanks.

I recommend this place...

30heavy_CA1-articleInline.jpg

It's costs almost nothing, it's super spacey, has a city view, lots of fresh air and you're right in the middle of Times Square. Oh, and the continental breakfast is to die for...likely because the current resident will stab you if he finds you in there but then you'll have your own crazy NYC story to tell!

You're welcome!

Good as a last resort. Any advice as to good places in the city to get an empty refrigerator box?

Good as a last resort. Any advice as to good places in the city to get an empty refrigerator box?

I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but....you should try being a little more environmentally conscious. You can get a great little High Efficiency Washer box behind the Sears on Queens Blvd.

I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but....you should try being a little more environmentally conscious. You can get a great little High Efficiency Washer box behind the Sears on Queens Blvd.

Sage advice, my friend. I'm all about the tiny house movement. Can I poop in a bucket next to my cardboard bed mat?

Times Square sucks....last place you should stay. Especially in December with the holiday crowds. Avoid midtown where all the shopping/Rockerfeller Center crowds will be as well.

Lots of great neighborhoods in NYC -- Upper West Side, SoHo, West Village, Chelsea and thousands of little hotels. If you research I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a decent room for $250. Also check out mid-town South & Flatiron (in the 20s and 30s), should be some reasonable places there.

Times Square sucks....last place you should stay. Especially in December with the holiday crowds. Avoid midtown where all the shopping/Rockerfeller Center crowds will be as well.

Lots of great neighborhoods in NYC -- Upper West Side, SoHo, West Village, Chelsea and thousands of little hotels. If you research I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a decent room for $250. Also check out mid-town South & Flatiron (in the 20s and 30s), should be some reasonable places there.

Thanks man. I'll do some research. I agree about Times Square, BTW. Cheesy tourist trap.

Just came back from a trip and stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania. This is an enormous hotel. The rooms are old and plain but the rates are reasonable (for NYC) and it is in a great location. Subway is there, Macy's, Bryant Park, Times Square, and Empire State Building are a few blocks away, and plenty of restaurants. Did I mention MSG is directly across the street!

Edited by DDD

Spend the money and have a good time. The difference for a one night stay of a hundred or 2 hundred is not much in the overall picture. If you are going to go and have a good time spend the extra money. You can't take it with you.

Spend the money and have a good time. The difference for a one night stay of a hundred or 2 hundred is not much in the overall picture. If you are going to go and have a good time spend the extra money. You can't take it with you.

I hear ya. I have the money to spend and I'm not a tight wad. That's not the problem. If I were traveling with my wife I would spend whatever on a hotel room. Sign me up for the Waldorf Astoria if that's what she wants.

The issue is I'm traveling with a buddy of mine. It's a friend who likes to drink, drink, drink some more, go to the strip joint, get something to eat, and then start drinking again. We will be in the hotel room to sleep only, and we won't be sleeping much in NYC. I just can't see spending $500 a day on something I'm not going to use.

Just came back from a trip and stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania. This is an enormous hotel. The rooms are old and plain but the rates are reasonable (for NYC) and it is in a great location. Subway is there, Macy's, Bryant Park, Times Square, and Empire State Building are a few blocks away, and plenty of restaurants. Did I mention MSG is directly across the street!

I've stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel before. It's pretty skeevey, but I'm not above it. I've heard they have a huge problem with bed bugs though. Obviously you came away unscathed....

Sign me up for the Waldorf Astoria if that's what she wants.

You want the Parker Meridian, cheapest room when you'll be there is over $500...

http://www.parkermeridien.com/why-are-you-visiting/

And while in NYC, check out The Burger Joint in their lobby....

http://untappedcities.com/2009/07/23/secret-burger/

Here's a link for the food nerds

http://www.eater.com/2015/4/17/8420651/burger-joint-new-york-city-cheeseburger-interview

You could also consider Queens and Brooklyn, close to a subway stop.These are all under the IHG brand, using Best Available rate...Holiday Inn ExpressQueens - Maspeth59-40 55th Road , Maspeth, NY 11378 , United States$145/night for Sunday to TuesdayHotel IndigoBrooklyn229 Duffield Street , Brooklyn, NY 11201 , United States$140/nightHoliday InnBrooklyn Downtown300 Schermerhorn Street , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States$170/nightEVEN HotelsBrooklyn46 Nevins St , Brooklyn, NY 11217 , United States$189/night

I'd avoid the Holiday Inn Express in Maspeth. There's nothing there. No subways, and the owner has recently been heavily protested for trying to turn it ino a homeless shelter: http://pix11.com/2016/09/09/plans-for-holiday-inn-homeless-shelter-in-maspeth-queens-scrapped/

I stayed at the Skyline Hotel in Hells Kitchen last February. Nothing too fancy, rooftop pool. Clean. 10th Avenue and 49th, so we walked to a show on Broadway. Rates were reasonable. And they have parking.

Edited by snafu

I guess my budget is around 250/night max. I could spend more, but really, I'm only going to be sleeping at the place. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into the Hoboken/Jersey City options right now, and the hotels seem to be more reasonable. When is the Hoboken PATH train station supposed to open? That would make things much easier if I chose to stay in NJ.

The AAA rate for this place for the dates I need is 420/night includes all fees. Yikes!! You must have got a great deal.

Dang... I stayed there cause everywhere else in NYC was like 400+

Well, did you book a room?

Not yet. It's been a crazy weekend.

Edit: My B-I-L has accumulated a zillion Marriott rewards points from work travel, and offered to book me a room for free. Well, he tried a few hotels yesterday and all of them had my dates "blacked out" for purchase with reward points. He's looking into it.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks