Any advice from NYC folks?

Not yet. It's been a crazy weekend.

Edit: My B-I-L has accumulated a zillion Marriott rewards points from work travel, and offered to book me a room for free. Well, he tried a few hotels yesterday and all of them had my dates "blacked out" for purchase with reward points. He's looking into it.

If that doesn't work out, I'd use Priceline. That's usually what I use there. Naming in your own price is good. There are a couple of sites that are good to check out for pricing - biddingfortravel and betterbidding I think is the 2nd one.

after a college transfer I roomed at the times square motor hotel for half of the semester. they even gave student discounts. i wonder if that dump still exists? Room came complete with a flashing neon light at night coming through the curtains. And a bonus whore as a neighbor. For the first week I couldn't figure out why she took a shower once an hour throughout the night. No worry's about getting robbed in times square. All I had was jeans and a shirt.

So yea even after the cleanup no need to stay in times square. I am more of a village guy and the hotel chelsea the history there is legendary. I get a kick out of what was once called spanish Harlem is now another overpriced neighborhood simply called the East Village.

Everyone should stay in the Chelsea hotel once on a NYC visit.

If that doesn't work out, I'd use Priceline. That's usually what I use there. Naming in your own price is good. There are a couple of sites that are good to check out for pricing - biddingfortravel and betterbidding I think is the 2nd one.

Yeah, I haven't tried Priceline yet. I think that's my next direction. Thanks all.

So yea even after the cleanup no need to stay in times square. I am more of a village guy and the hotel chelsea the history there is legendary. I get a kick out of what was once called spanish Harlem is now another overpriced neighborhood simply called the East Village.

Everyone should stay in the Chelsea hotel once on a NYC visit.

Spanish Harlem and the East Village are 2 separate neighborhoods about 100 blocks apart.

Better chance at scoring some strange after the game.

better chance of a lot of things.

Which is directly east of the west village. Two blocks up Broadway, Mac.

What's an airbnb? Sounds like a bed and breakfast on a plane.

Seriously?

https://www.airbnb.com/?af=43720035&c=A_TC%3Dfmeb9dyr2w%26G_MT%3De%26G_CR%3D100808697856%26G_N%3Dg%26G_K%3Dairbnb%27%26G_P%3D%26G_D%3Dc&exp=r1&gclid=CPaYm6_qv88CFROTfgod71YD8Q&dclid=CNGRsK_qv88CFYeMfgodggkLpQ

I always just figured the East Village is east of Greenwich Village?

It is, and both are 100 blocks (5 miles) away from any definition of Harlem.

PS, if you're considering NJ check the schedule of when you will need to be back & forth. PATH doesn't run the 33rd St line on weekends.

Seriously, if you havent looked at AirBnB for NYC rooms, you should. That will probably be your best bet.

Edited by GG