Karlos Williams only has one game left on suspension....

Iraq Vet

I still don't think we've resolved whether or not is suspension is almost done.

FWIW, I found a site that lists all fines. For instance, Dareus' is listed at ~$3m, ie 4 games of his salary forfeited due to suspension. Karlos' is ~$130k, presumably 4 games of minimum wage for a 2 yr player. Lawson's is blank presumably cuz he was earning much more than vet minimum, but what he ends up signing for is unknown.

I'm assuming that Karlos doesn't have that sort of cash laying around and presumably hasn't already paid the fine yet ergo would be unable to meet his "obligation" until he signs w/ a new team.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, if he's not on a roster & collecting a paycheck, then how can he be suspended? The suspension is supposed to serve as a penalty. How can he be serving a suspension, and most specifically, sacrificing his gamecheck, if he's not on a roster & collecting said gamecheck?

I started to explain this and then realized it would be a waste of time.

Drugs, weight, work ethic, concussions....those are all the problems. Listen I loved the way he played but the Bills aren't going to force him to be a professional. They tried twice during OTA's and Training camp and he still couldn't get his issues together. Then he gets caught smoking weed on top of it.

I recall the Bills mentioning 'other issues' in terms of trust among teammates that they wouldn't get into. He's not coming back.

Let me get this straight- he's not on any roster... When he's signed by a club, then he starts the 4 game suspension....

I don't think that's right. I think it starts the first reg. season game after the suspension is announced so in Karlos case, 1st game of regular season.

But I could be misunderstanding the rules.

Edit: I'm having an unusually hard time finding what looks like a good source to me. Here's what I've found.

Free agent Laron Landry suspended last year, announced in March 2015

November 17, Laron Landry announced as reinstated having served his 10 games, despite being a FA all that time

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Um, if he's not on a roster & collecting a paycheck, then how can he be suspended? The suspension is supposed to serve as a penalty. How can he be serving a suspension, and most specifically, sacrificing his gamecheck, if he's not on a roster & collecting said gamecheck?

I think the idea is that if a Free Agent player is suspended, he is unlikely to be signed while suspended therefore he is essentially forfeiting the salary he would have made, were he not suspended.

There should be no ambiguity about this. It does not matter if he's on a team or not. His suspension is over after week 4.

Just like #51 Brandon Spikes - he was not on a roster and served his suspension on "house arrest".

Drugs, weight, work ethic, concussions....those are all the problems. Listen I loved the way he played but the Bills aren't going to force him to be a professional. They tried twice during OTA's and Training camp and he still couldn't get his issues together. Then he gets caught smoking weed on top of it.

I think the weed and weight went together; he got so much being paid as NFL professional he went crazy in offseason.

The NFLPA limits the amount of time teams can spend with players and this should fall under their union and part of services they get for union dues.

I think the idea is that if a Free Agent player is suspended, he is unlikely to be signed while suspended therefore he is essentially forfeiting the salary he would have made, were he not suspended.

Which just muddies the issue with deferred revenue and tax obligations, unless you're using contra assets (read: liabilities!!). Its all highly irregular.

Which just muddies the issue with deferred revenue and tax obligations, unless you're using contra assets (read: liabilities!!). Its all highly irregular.

The NFL has all kinds of accounting problems due to signing bonuses and not being able to collect them when players retire or go to jail.

Well he was released weeks ago, nobody picked him up even for practice squad. Came in out of shape, and suspension, plus injuries -- RED FLAGS

That should be the most troubling thing for Karlos. Any team could pick him up for the league minimum and with no signing bonus (and thus be able to cut him without any cap hit), not have to pay him for those 4 games he's suspended for, but have him around to monitor his physical progress and to learn the playbook, and be ready to go in week 5.

There's a bunch of issues with Karlos Williams. He's overweight, he's on drugs, he's lazy and he's probably one concussion away from being done forever. The last concussion that he had in Oct/November of last year when he missed a month was really severe. He lost his basic motor skills. I loved what he did for the team and how he played but he didn't take it seriously. And unfortunately, RB's aren't a premium position anymore.

You still need good ones

Then what is the problem with signing him. He fails again cut him again. He has a concussion... IR. You can structure a deal that is super tough on his behavior.

because if they wanted him on the team there was no reason to cut him in the 1st place...Lazy, out of shape, poor practice habits...he was pissing off his teammates and Bills released him...doubtful he returns

Personally I think Karlos Williams provided a dimension to the running game that's missing this year. Great combination of power and speed, mostly power. Granted, Gillislee like Fred Jackson seems to find ways to get the tough yard when needed, but KW would get four in the same situation.

But, I think he's finished. For his sake I hope I'm wrong, but maybe he'll serve as a wakeup call to the knuckleheads coming into the league, all full of themselves and thinking they've got it made.

nope - its running now. so after sunday, he can play immediately.

that said, he would need to have done a whole lot on his own to earn that spot. i dont think any of us should expect him to have done that -- but its not impossible either.

Isn't that strange??? That seems odd that he can serve a suspension while not on a roster?

Karlos was cut for 3 reasons:

1. Reported beyond fat, like super size me fat, after the offseason.

2. Got suspended for 4 games for substance issues. 2b: Rumor was he declined to enter substance abuse program to reduce his suspension, which if true would actually be an additional strike IMO.

3. Was not losing the weight fast enough and was getting out played through camp by McCoy, Bush, MG and JW.

Those are a lot of strikes against a young player at the most replaceable position in football. I was a big fan of his potential and future, so would love to see him turn this around and end up back here. However, the suspension is only 1 of 2 to 3 other issues that caused his release. I would think the Bills would not even consider a return unless he had seriously addressed the other issues like being fat and not ready to play.

If Karlos was smart and motivated, and his track record suggests he may not be, he would have been working like a mad man to get into peak form and prove to the Bills or any other team that he needs to be on a roster. His on field resume last year as a rookie was too good for none of the teams who took a look at him to have not signed him or for the Bills to have cut him. So I have a feeling that he's still not in very good shape and not working hard to get through it...otherwise you would think he would be signed now so he had time to get familiar with the playbook before his suspension ends.

Karlos was cut for 3 reasons:

1. Reported beyond fat, like super size me fat, after the offseason.

2. Got suspended for 4 games for substance issues. 2b: Rumor was he declined to enter substance abuse program to reduce his suspension, which if true would actually be an additional strike IMO.

3. Was not losing the weight fast enough and was getting out played through camp by McCoy, Bush, MG and JW.

Those are a lot of strikes against a young player at the most replaceable position in football. I was a big fan of his potential and future, so would love to see him turn this around and end up back here. However, the suspension is only 1 of 2 to 3 other issues that caused his release. I would think the Bills would not even consider a return unless he had seriously addressed the other issues like being fat and not ready to play.

If Karlos was smart and motivated, and his track record suggests he may not be, he would have been working like a mad man to get into peak form and prove to the Bills or any other team that he needs to be on a roster. His on field resume last year as a rookie was too good for none of the teams who took a look at him to have not signed him or for the Bills to have cut him. So I have a feeling that he's still not in very good shape and not working hard to get through it...otherwise you would think he would be signed now so he had time to get familiar with the playbook before his suspension ends.

There was something(s) more, beyond 1-3.

such as? I'm honestly curious about what pegs had slipped past Goodell.

first , it's J. so start with that and work your way back. As a grand Master here I revere, and one whom keeps great knowledge in his trousers. I am surprised you query him in this manner. He deserves the privilege and respect of his revered status. J is the shet. read between the lines and color outside of them !

It was spelled Goodel. That your first clue.

He has been on my list. have no worries for that.

Personally I think Karlos Williams provided a dimension to the running game that's missing this year. Great combination of power and speed, mostly power. Granted, Gillislee like Fred Jackson seems to find ways to get the tough yard when needed, but KW would get four in the same situation.

But, I think he's finished. For his sake I hope I'm wrong, but maybe he'll serve as a wakeup call to the knuckleheads coming into the league, all full of themselves and thinking they've got it made.

This is a rather fine post. Mike is a bit different as he has the speed to get around when opportunity presents. But he seems to be an understudy of LeSean about the subtleties between the tackles this year. With limited rep.

I do think JWill is the pounder of the future for the Bills.

Karlos has found another path than running for Our Bills to me

Isn't that strange??? That seems odd that he can serve a suspension while not on a roster?

Wouldn't that be punishing the team ?

feel free to elaborate Doc.

No inside knowledge, just things he said, teammates said to him on Twitter, reports that teammates didn't trust him, etc. Again I think you can work through the suspension and weight issues and those were known well before he got cut.